Does Jesus' colour matter?

Started by T00ts, June 26, 2020, 01:17:10 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on June 26, 2020, 01:40:34 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 26, 2020, 01:34:07 PMThis is something that has cropped up in modern times before this. I suppose we need to look at artistic traditions. Are we once again trying to rewrite history, only this time history of art?

Do you think it's re-writing history to represent Jesus as a white person?

We are not rewriting history by making Him white. We are simply following what has gone before. Since you don't believe you no doubt will struggle with the concept that Jesus is and was pure. He is now in a glorified state which to us is beyond our imagination. I am certain he is a degree of white that we cannot even look at. But if you go back through the art of the different churches He has been depicted in various ways over the centuries. The thing about Jesus is that His nationality is irrelevant. He is the saviour of all regardless of colour or anything else. That is the concept that I feel Welby, who holds himself up as a believer,  is missing.

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on June 26, 2020, 01:34:07 PMThis is something that has cropped up in modern times before this. I suppose we need to look at artistic traditions. Are we once again trying to rewrite history, only this time history of art?

Do you think it's re-writing history to represent Jesus as a white person?
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on June 26, 2020, 01:30:27 PM
It certainly seems odd to depict a Middle Eastern man as Caucasian.

This is something that has cropped up in modern times before this. I suppose we need to look at artistic traditions. Are we once again trying to rewrite history, only this time history of art?

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on June 26, 2020, 01:20:24 PM
Is the devil black or white?

There are interesting references in the Bible as to the mark of Cain. Purity is normally marked as white - but since white people are pink I don't think that's significant in racial terms. The white purity that I associate with God etc is a white that no-one human could look at since it is glorified. There are plenty of references to prophets being thrown to the ground rather than look on God's glory and purity.

Equally the black you might be referring to will not be anything living since the devil is refused life on earth. I guess all our feeble human attempts to completely explain any of it is a bit pointless since as yet all has not been revealed. This however is but a distraction from what Welby is suggesting.

Nalaar

It certainly seems odd to depict a Middle Eastern man as Caucasian.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Bless him the Archbishop of Canterbury, not to be outdone, has questioned if images of Christ in the Cathedral should be there. His basis for argument appears to be that worldwide Jesus is often depicted resembling the local worshippers. He also comments that as a Son of God born in the Middle East he was probably of a darker hew than depicted.

Now needless to say I don't agree with him, but on the basis that Jesus' nationality usually follows the country where the images are made, then majority white is what we have always been. So it would follow naturally that that is how He has been shown.

Does BLM want all Jesus' pictures etc taken down or at least given a colour wash? I haven't heard anything requested along those lines. Is Welby just trying to make an issue where there isn't one? Is he once again jumping on the popularity band wagon as he has so often in the past? I would remind him that we are instructed not to worship graven images.