Corvid-19 detected in Spanish waste water sample collected in March 2019

Started by Sampanviking, July 01, 2020, 05:05:46 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

At least at long last sewage water in Britain is being routinely tested for Covid-19.  Better late than never.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Quote from: Javert on July 03, 2020, 06:41:22 PMThe idea that the Coronavirus originated in southern Europe, nobody noticed that half the old people were dying, and then it suddenly went to China were they realised it was there, is also not that plausible either.

Yes. If the Sars-Cov-2 virus that causes Covid-19 had been around in it's current form within the human environment for a year longer than previously thought, then one would think the pandemic would have started a year earlier too.

There is one thing though. We know it's likely that the quantity of virus one's exposed to has an effect on how ill one becomes, alongside other factors like age and general health. So if the virus had been around in Spain in very minute quantities, not enough to make anyone very ill or for them to replicate large amounts of virus, it could have stayed under the radar.  Could it be that there was one specific chance event, probably in China, where one person, or maybe one pangolin, became a super incubator, generating a "critical mass" of the virus that was enough to start the pandemic.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Javert

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 03, 2020, 09:56:24 AMOne recent report claiming  an earlier outbreak date in Wuhan was so flawed and farcical

The report linked above is not that credible either - as you say, we need to wait for any further evidence. 

The idea that the Coronavirus originated in southern Europe, nobody noticed that half the old people were dying, and then it suddenly went to China were they realised it was there, is also not that plausible either.

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell on July 02, 2020, 01:00:20 PM
Quote from: Sampanviking on July 01, 2020, 05:05:46 PM
Well isn't this interesting
The story made the printed media, but I never heard it on any telly news I watched.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-spain-had-covid-19-in-march-2019-scientists-claim-after-waste-water-test-12015612

It does seem as though there are a growing number of inconsistencies with the prevalent narrative that are collectively pointing back to Southern Europe and much earlier emergence of the virus.
"More corroborative tests are needed" seems to be the reaction to this. Well that's good, lets see if we can have a similar lever of circumspection applied to evidence arising in the PRC.
Easily explained....in the Sun,tourists from Wuhan take a dump in Spain.

Its a sample dated March 2019 not 2020. That is a way, way earlier date that anything else on the current outbreak timeline and just one of a growing number of early anomalies that point towards Southern Europe.

Now maybe it is just a cross contaminated sample and yes you would want to find others to corroborate the finding properly. The problem is that this level of normal and expected due diligence is not being observed in relation to so called evidence which targets China. Its as simple as that. One recent report claiming  an earlier outbreak date in Wuhan was so flawed and farcical that all the real scientists involved in its writing, disassociated themselves within hours, leaving only the political members of the group to promote it. This report was widely discussed with few caveats on broadcast media.

The trouble is, there is now a Politically motivated narrative to pin the outbreak on China, irrespective of any evidence to the contrary. We even have Trump baldly stating that the truth is what he wants it to be and he had a hissy fit with the WHO because they would not say what he wanted them to say, despite all the money he paid them, because it was not true.

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 01, 2020, 05:05:46 PM
The story made the printed media, but I never heard it on any telly news I watched.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-spain-had-covid-19-in-march-2019-scientists-claim-after-waste-water-test-12015612

It does seem as though there are a growing number of inconsistencies with the prevalent narrative that are collectively pointing back to Southern Europe and much earlier emergence of the virus.
"More corroborative tests are needed" seems to be the reaction to this. Well that's good, lets see if we can have a similar lever of circumspection applied to evidence arising in the PRC.
Easily explained....in the Sun,tourists from Wuhan take a dump in Spain.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Apologies if I'm misreading, but you seem to be suggesting some wrongdoing.
I don't think a new virus in Spanish sewage would have excited news editors in March 2019 — it doesn't look like anything I'd have taken notice of even if it had been reported. And the link seems to indicate the finding is still to be verified that it was the virus in a form transferable to humans...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sampanviking