How much does our religion define the kind of person we become?

Started by Bernie, July 15, 2020, 11:24:35 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Bernie on July 16, 2020, 05:14:12 PM
Christianity's the major force, as opposed to any other religion. Without it we'd be animals. Look at those of us who aren't Christians, would you like to be like them? I think not,  it's not least, the reason why they flock to here, and not the other way round.
That is ridiculous and offensive nonsense. We'd be animals without Christianity? Most of us today are either atheists or agnostics or Christian in name only. And we haven't reverted into cavemen.

And Japan - to name but one example - has developed into a modern functioning democracy and decent well ordered society without the need for Christianity. India might be a poor country but it too is a democracy that manages to get by without Christianity. Thailand is another.

And people don't flock here because we are a supposedly Christian country. Were that so there are in any case many others. They flock here because we are a relatively wealthy English speaking nation and most of the world has learned to speak English.

You might feel the need to lean on Christianity as a psychological and emotional crutch which is your right, but don't arrogantly assume that the rest of us cannot function perfectly well without it, just because you can't.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 18, 2020, 10:58:19 AM
Christianity's the major force, as opposed to any other religion. Without it we'd be animals. Look at those of us who aren't Christians, would you like to be like them? I think not,  it's not least, the reason why they flock to here, and not the other way round.

No Im not having that . There are many societies around the world that free from Abrahamic religions evolved quite well into decent societies .

Add me to that list. I'm not having that either.

Yes, this society has developed a set of conventions defining what is right and what is wrong derived from rules set out in a holy writ that those inventing the rules thought important BECAUSE THE HOLY WRIT DEMANDED IT.

Today, I look at that list of conventions and can readily agree that for the most part the concepts of right and wrong agree with my own personal assessment.  But my assessment comes from my own ideas and needs no sky fairy or the demented followers of such to bind my obedience on pain of hellfire which i consider bullshit.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Forum admin

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on July 26, 2020, 07:57:28 AM
Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 11:24:35 AM
It seems to determine the whole thing, either on a personal level or as a society, and that being the case, which is the most wholesome religion to pursue?
As someone who doesn't believe in - and rejects - all organised religions as a pile of poop, I think society is better off without religion at all. I certainly do not believe in or follow any.

But having said that I do have a few homespun beliefs, which include a belief in reincarnation, and in karma - basically what goes around comes around, in the next life if not in this one. I believe that if we do good and treat people well and generally give out good vibes, good will come back to us in this life or the next. But if we do bad and go through life being a dick to people it will come back on us sooner or later. These beliefs do help to inform my behaviour and reinforce the innate dictate of my conscience whereby I believe it to be a moral imperative not to do to others what I wouldn't want done to me.

Glen Hoddle held similar views and was sacked as England manager  because of them . He said something like disabled people had been wrong uns in a past life so its their own fault . He follows some form of Christianity though so maybe your more influenced by the likes of  Nietzsche who of course came back as Margret Thatcher  ;D

srb7677

It seems to determine the whole thing, either on a personal level or as a society, and that being the case, which is the most wholesome religion to pursue?
As someone who doesn't believe in - and rejects - all organised religions as a pile of poop, I think society is better off without religion at all. I certainly do not believe in or follow any.

But having said that I do have a few homespun beliefs, which include a belief in reincarnation, and in karma - basically what goes around comes around, in the next life if not in this one. I believe that if we do good and treat people well and generally give out good vibes, good will come back to us in this life or the next. But if we do bad and go through life being a dick to people it will come back on us sooner or later. These beliefs do help to inform my behaviour and reinforce the innate dictate of my conscience whereby I believe it to be a moral imperative not to do to others what I wouldn't want done to me.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

I suspect the most powerful in societies have moulded religions and coerced the population to benefit themselves — look at Henry VIII, the Spanish Inquisition, Saudi Arabia, etc.
The fact establishments allow/encourage beliefs in deities is because it gives many in the population optimism, a comfort blanket, and someone to plead to, or thank for, their salvation, while it aids rulers in their aim to control...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

I was wondering where this was going to end up, and now I see the destination I can't help but be disappointed. A shame indeed.
Don't believe everything you think.

Streetwalker

No Im not having that . There are many societies around the world that free from Abrahamic religions evolved quite well into decent societies .

Bernie

Streetwalker

Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 08:23:41 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker
I would say the religion we follow or even if we don't have one has nothing whatsoever to do with the type of person we become .
And why do you think so W? I feel as though I've been hugely influenced by my religion, it's set the moral focus for my life.

As to why you only have to look at the spectrum of people who follow any religion and you will see what we would call decent folk to complete nutters . You will also see the same range of people with no religion .
Society and its laws ,along with parental guidance mould our moral  focus rather than religion IMO though I would accept that religion ,Christianity in particular has had a hand in moulding our  society .

papasmurf

Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 08:23:41 PM

And why do you think so W? I feel as though I've been hugely influenced by my religion, it's set the moral focus for my life.

I was hugely influenced by my mother, who spent a lifetime tilting at windmills and sometime winning.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Bernie

Quote from: Streetwalker
I would say the religion we follow or even if we don't have one has nothing whatsoever to do with the type of person we become .

Streetwalker

johnofgwent

Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 12:12:43 PM
Quote from: papasmurf

Our religion? I don't have a religion.

Why do you think that most people in the world feel the need to have one,  and why don't you? Have you found a better way?

DO "most people feel the need to have one", or are they coerced ?

A society which beheads those who find they do not like the religion their parents forced them to follow, for example.

You're new here so you won't know me.  As a younger man I believed there was a God. Today I am not sure, and if there is, I wish to actively withhold any admiration he demands, owing to him being one class act shithead.

I think the world would be a much better place if i could push a button that eradicated "religion".

Even if it were not a BETTER place, it would be a very different place.

for a start, I suspect that billions of people would walk the earth instead of not existing because their ancestors were slaughtered in religious wars...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 12:12:43 PM

Why do you think that most people in the world feel the need to have one,  and why don't you? Have you found a better way?

Because they can't handle reality.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe