General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 10:08:27 PM
Go to the website in your link.
Scroll sown to the chart.
Now select "10 years" as the scale.

And you will clearly see that foreign investment boomed during Brexit.
Record investment. It just went nuts. The highest ever recorded.

3 years of massive investment and you are complaining about it being an enconomic disaster.
Let's use your figures to understand it better.
I'm not agreeing that these are the correct figures necessarily, since other sources give different ones, but let's go with them for a moment.

Lets compare them to one single year. 2015.
2015 was a good year for foreign investment.

In year one of Brexit.... 6 times pre Brexit.
In year two of Brexit it is.... 2.5 times pre Brexit.
In year three of Brexit is is.... 1.5 times pre Brexit.
In year four of Brexit it is... 0.5 times pre Brexit.

You've picked one bad year at the end and misrepresented that as the overall trend.
Propaganda. A half truth.

You were predicting a decline in investment due to fear of leaving the EU. But there has been a boom in it.
You are looking at a boom in foreign investment and declaring that boom is a decline in investment.
The boom is declining. Lol. It's not booming as hard as when the boom first started....

These figures are all positive figures. All up on what you had when people expected to remain in the EU.
In the exact opposite of the narrative you are pushing.
So, in the climate of fear of leaving the EU.
Foreign investment in the UK boomed to record highs.

But you can't handle it.
Because that narrative doesn't help you to sell your own political agenda.

So let's give some actual examples of foreign investment in the UK during Brexit.
Nissan.
Honda.
And 1,000 EU financial firms.

All of which fly in the face of your predictions and your narratives.

Which were for car campanies to stop investing and leave.
And banks etc to leave London.

The propaganda being finance companies have left the UK for the EU.
Which is half true, but omits that facts that 3 times more came here, than have left.

Essentially, your economics is lies.
Half truths at best.
I look at these threads and the layout reminds me of T.S.Eliot's "The Waste Land"
Could be appropriate — given the point of view they seem to espouse.
An extract:

Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

https://poets.org/poem/waste-land
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on October 16, 2020, 12:34:02 PM
Not just the Chinese either as advertised, the UK had its fair amount of Opium dens. Because even morons deserve a history lesson general.

In the 19th century Norfolk was the original golden triangle.

It is a characteristic of the British that when we have something worthwhile, we like to share it  :)
Algerie Francais !

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on October 16, 2020, 08:49:45 PM

U.K. foreign direct investment for 2019 was $27.03B, a 66.7% decline from 2018.
U.K. foreign direct investment for 2018 was $81.16B, a 33.07% decline from 2017.
U.K. foreign direct investment for 2017 was $121.25B, a 62.67% decline from 2016.
U.K. foreign direct investment for 2016 was $324.81B, a 616.5% increase from 2015.

Go to the website in your link.
Scroll sown to the chart.
Now select "10 years" as the scale.

And you will clearly see that foreign investment boomed during Brexit.
Record investment. It just went nuts. The highest ever recorded.

3 years of massive investment and you are complaining about it being an enconomic disaster.
Let's use your figures to understand it better.
I'm not agreeing that these are the correct figures necessarily, since other sources give different ones, but let's go with them for a moment.

Lets compare them to one single year. 2015.
2015 was a good year for foreign investment.

In year one of Brexit.... 6 times pre Brexit.
In year two of Brexit it is.... 2.5 times pre Brexit.
In year three of Brexit is is.... 1.5 times pre Brexit.
In year four of Brexit it is... 0.5 times pre Brexit.

You've picked one bad year at the end and misrepresented that as the overall trend.
Propaganda. A half truth.

You were predicting a decline in investment due to fear of leaving the EU. But there has been a boom in it.
You are looking at a boom in foreign investment and declaring that boom is a decline in investment.
The boom is declining. Lol. It's not booming as hard as when the boom first started....

These figures are all positive figures. All up on what you had when people expected to remain in the EU.
In the exact opposite of the narrative you are pushing.
So, in the climate of fear of leaving the EU.
Foreign investment in the UK boomed to record highs.

But you can't handle it.
Because that narrative doesn't help you to sell your own political agenda.

So let's give some actual examples of foreign investment in the UK during Brexit.
Nissan.
Honda.
And 1,000 EU financial firms.

All of which fly in the face of your predictions and your narratives.

Which were for car campanies to stop investing and leave.
And banks etc to leave London.

The propaganda being finance companies have left the UK for the EU.
Which is half true, but omits that facts that 3 times more came here, than have left.

Essentially, your economics is lies.
Half truths at best.

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 16, 2020, 07:41:28 PM
Of course you will.  What part of clutching at straws, and I am still waiting  for you to correct the figures that I posted and you said were wrong.   Do  you not understand.  Who do you really think you are trying to kid.

If you can't form the sentences then the contents is irrelevant. You keep banging those rocks together Jimmy cause I'm done.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 16, 2020, 09:07:08 PM
Who ever said I'm average !
A basic electrician will earn 45k, we employ them and train them to do programming/commissioning on sites, with 2 or 3 yrs experience their up at the 50 to 55k mark. They get paid overtime, have a company car (not van), mobile ph etc... The experienced one's with say 10yrs are well into the mid to high 60's.

UK wages are pure shit.

What programming/commissioning does an 'ELECTRICIAN' do in Ireland Gerry?
We'll get on to the salary after you answer that.

GerryT

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 09:49:47 AMYou live in cloud cuckoo land. Just googled it and the average wage in Ireland is 38500€. That's under £35K.
Where do you get your figures from Gerry?
Who ever said I'm average !
A basic electrician will earn 45k, we employ them and train them to do programming/commissioning on sites, with 2 or 3 yrs experience their up at the 50 to 55k mark. They get paid overtime, have a company car (not van), mobile ph etc... The experienced one's with say 10yrs are well into the mid to high 60's.

UK wages are pure shit.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 01:47:08 AMCorrect.
From "the highest amount of foreign investment ever to.... the second highest amount of foreign investment ever."
Making 2017 and 2018 the two highest years of foreign investment ever.
As opposed to your narrative which is that fears of leaving the EU reduced foreign investment.

The 2 highest foreign investment years ever.... and you try and claim there has been a reduction in foreign investment.
Beyond stupid.

Perhaps it might help you to understand why we've got record foreign investment.
Because the value of the £ is so weak.
You get 25% more for your money here than you did 4 years ago.

When we leave without a deal, if as expected, the value of the £ drops some more....
They will get even more for their money.
It will attract even more foreign investment.

Ok, I've done some work for you, the UK FDI per year from 2016 is :
https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/foreign-direct-investment

U.K. foreign direct investment for 2019 was $27.03B, a 66.7% decline from 2018.
U.K. foreign direct investment for 2018 was $81.16B, a 33.07% decline from 2017.
U.K. foreign direct investment for 2017 was $121.25B, a 62.67% decline from 2016.
U.K. foreign direct investment for 2016 was $324.81B, a 616.5% increase from 2015.

What you can see is before Brexit from 2015 to 2016 FDI increased by 616%, nice being an EU member. Then the UK decides to leave and there's a steady drop from 324b to 27b last yr. That's not what your saying.
I think your confusing the anual FDI investment and the total since time began FDI investment. It's the annual number that shows the trend. FDI is drying up in the UK.

If a USA company invested in 2015 say $1b or Stg666m in the UK for Stg2b of sales making 10% profit, that Stg200m would have been worth $300 and he would have a asset worth the $1b. Today that Stg200m is only returning $260m and the asset has lost $135m. Those realities put FDI investors off, having a stable single currency across the EU is a major draw.

If Stg does fall more you can forget that Ski holiday, unless Scotland...

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 06:37:12 PM
When you post that in something that resembles English grammar I will respond.

Of course you will.  What part of clutching at straws, and I am still waiting  for you to correct the figures that I posted and you said were wrong.   Do  you not understand.  Who do you really think you are trying to kid.

Nick

Barry

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 16, 2020, 12:29:16 AM
It's 'You're', not 'Your'. I've no idea why they say leavers are uneducated oiks.
Funny, you don't correct you're friend Gerry.  ;)
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 16, 2020, 05:09:13 PM
You really are clutching at Straws.  Your graph is a levelling of in Sept 2019, to where it was in September 2017.  And covid had nothing to do with it.   From there till April 2020.  And you have still magically failed to correct one figure I have produced that you say are wrong.  Of course. You find the only chart in the world that is not wrong.  To suit what you say.  And let me repeat.  In 2010 the Conservatives inherited a debt to GDP of 74.6%.  The Tory's have more than doubled the debt in 10 years and there is not a chance in hell would they get back to that figure this century. If ever.  Even without covid.  They are now getting the Labour governments financial crash.  But heh keep straw clutching, and why let facts get in the road.  And by the way. It looks very much like. The people in the North of England.  In the last few months.   What a bozo they elected in Big Kranky Bojo, the Downing Street muppet. But to be fair.  Not much of a choice.

When you post that in something that resembles English grammar I will respond.

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 04:39:07 PM
Post #1066

You really are clutching at Straws.  Your graph is a levelling of in Sept 2019, to where it was in September 2017.  And covid had nothing to do with it.   From there till April 2020.  And you have still magically failed to correct one figure I have produced that you say are wrong.  Of course. You find the only chart in the world that is not wrong.  To suit what you say.  And let me repeat.  In 2010 the Conservatives inherited a debt to GDP of 74.6%.  The Tory's have more than doubled the debt in 10 years and there is not a chance in hell would they get back to that figure this century. If ever.  Even without covid.  They are now getting the Labour governments financial crash.  But heh keep straw clutching, and why let facts get in the road.  And by the way. It looks very much like. The people in the North of England.  In the last few months.   What a bozo they elected in Big Kranky Bojo, the Downing Street muppet. But to be fair.  Not much of a choice. 

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 16, 2020, 02:23:26 PM
That is exactly what you said and grow means grow.  And from 75% to nearly 87% means exactly that.  Very good. You have worked that out.  It has only taken four post so far.  Now show me where it dropped under Tory's.  That is what you said.  And you still have not corrected any of my figures.  That you say are wrong.  I am sure you will find some tangent to go of on. What was that about pollical debating

Post #1066

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 11:06:49 AM
Last time I looked GREW meant up not down.
I'm not sure political debating is your thing Jimmy.

That is exactly what you said and grow means grow.  And from 75% to nearly 87% means exactly that.  Very good. You have worked that out.  It has only taken four post so far.  Now show me where it dropped under Tory's.  That is what you said.  And you still have not corrected any of my figures.  That you say are wrong.  I am sure you will find some tangent to go of on. What was that about pollical debating

patman post

Quote from: Sheepy on October 16, 2020, 12:34:02 PM
Not just the Chinese either as advertised, the UK had its fair amount of Opium dens. Because even morons deserve a history lesson general.
But I bet Eastenders' Dirty Den has had more impact on UK voters than Oscar Wilde novel scenarios as the country approaches Brexit...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...