General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on December 09, 2020, 12:51:55 PM
You do realise this is talking about goods travelling within the UK, GB to NI, which would not be subject to tariffs. Thats been the plan from day 1 of the WA. But those goods travelling will be subject to customs checks, that's not been removed.

So no that is not the magic technology that the UK spoke about that could look into a moving truck at 80km/hr and check if whats on the manifest is in the truck. So no that magic technology hasn't yet been invented

Which goods?

It's not exactly hard to spot the difference between a cattle truck and a container lorry or a white van.

As for checking the manifests of a truck traveling an 60 MPh.
That's easy.
Scan number plate. Search online appilication for said numberplate.
Totally automatable.

Speed camera's already do this to every car.
So do police camera's on their car.

This "magic technology" is not just widely in use here and arounf the world, it's domestically available.
My house scans your numberplate as you pull into the drive. Checks it against my database and lets me know if it someone on my list.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 11, 2020, 09:10:23 PM
There is nothing in place now that does this unless you pay, why would it change next year?

The EHIC card is useless from the 1st of January next year.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 07:55:45 PMcomprehensive repatriation/medical insurance.

There is nothing in place now that does this unless you pay, why would it change next year?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 11, 2020, 07:57:46 PM

probably cheaper than the red flag caravan club insurance.

not a problem pappy  , where theres a will theres a way.

For someone my age I can only get single trip repatriation medical insurance even so it is only about £50 for myself and my wife.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 07:50:34 PM
No doubt a visa together with proof of vaccination will be required. I don't understand the panic over a visa to travel in normal times. I remember needing them in my youth plus driving permits. No doubt they will be available online - no problem.

I don't understand the panic either. Are you guys panicking and hysterical over simply posting a factual article which quotes the FT or something? I'm just pointing to a news item.
+++

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 07:55:45 PM
Plus international driving permit(s), green card,  and comprehensive repatriation/medical insurance.

probably cheaper than the red flag caravan club insurance.

not a problem pappy  , where theres a will theres a way.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

No doubt a visa together with proof of vaccination will be required.

Plus international driving permit(s), green card,  and comprehensive repatriation/medical insurance. 

Thomas

No doubt a visa together with proof of vaccination will be required. I don't understand the panic over a visa to travel in normal times. I remember needing them in my youth plus driving permits. No doubt they will be available online - no problem.

honestly cant see the issue myself toots.

totally agree.

ususal hysteria from the usual suspects.

I honestly feel sorry for dynamis so i do.

i wonder if he shrieks at his own shadow every night.

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on December 11, 2020, 07:40:53 PM
i can see the spanish greeks and portuguese being extremely unhappy rich glaswegians and londoners might find it harder to spend their dosh in these countries.Hopefully the vaccine ( if the eu get round to it) will help these ailing economies with hard earned but easy going scot /anglo cash.

is this an anti eu or pro eu link? i can't tell which?

maybe you should try booking up a holiday next year dyno to cheer yourself up mate.You sound miserable as feck.

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on December 11, 2020, 07:05:14 PM
https://www.thecanary.co/uk/news/2020/12/10/britons-to-face-curbs-on-travel-to-eu-countries-after-brexit-transition-due-to-coronavirus/

i can see the spanish greeks and portuguese being extremely unhappy rich glaswegians and londoners might find it harder to spend their dosh in these countries.Hopefully the vaccine ( if the eu get round to it) will help these ailing economies with hard earned but easy going scot /anglo cash.

is this an anti eu or pro eu link? i cant tell which?

maybe you should try booking up a holiday next year dyno to cheer yourself up mate.You sound miserable as feck.

Borg Refinery

QuoteBritons 'to face curbs on travel to EU countries' after Brexit transition due to coronavirus

Non-essential visits to the EU by UK citizens will be hit by curbs, according to the Financial Times. Most UK residents will face restrictions on visiting the remaining 27 members of the EU from 1 January when rules permitting free travel within the bloc cease to apply to Britons, the newspaper said.

Foreign secretary Dominic Raab acknowledged that travel could be disrupted across Europe. He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme:

Covid restrictions will depend on the combination of what the EU decides, but also member states. We have already got challenges with that and we have put our own restrictions in place.

He acknowledged that coronavirus:

remains a live issue and we need to make sure we have got control of it

I'm afraid restriction on travel, inevitably, is going to be something that is kept under review.

Asked whether that would mean Britons will find it difficult to go to the European mainland, he said:

It all depends on the prevalence of the virus in those continental European countries.

Risk
A earlier statement issued by a government spokesperson said:

We take a scientific, risk-based approach to health measures at the border, and it is of course in the interests of all countries to allow safe international travel as we emerge from the pandemic.

The formal end of the transition period on 31 December means Britons will face an EU regime that only allows non-essential travel from a very limited number of non-EU countries, the Financial Times reported.

Most UK citizens would only be able to travel to the EU if individual states make provisions for such a move, or the bloc as a whole lessens its pandemic travel curbs, the newspaper said.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/news/2020/12/10/britons-to-face-curbs-on-travel-to-eu-countries-after-brexit-transition-due-to-coronavirus/
+++

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on December 09, 2020, 12:27:41 PM
Number 13 in this twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1336628609574985728
Is this the technology solution that everyone said was impossible? Who would have thought that would come back, as it is impossible?

You do realise this is talking about goods travelling within the UK, GB to NI, which would not be subject to tariffs. Thats been the plan from day 1 of the WA. But those goods travelling will be subject to customs checks, that's not been removed.

So no that is not the magic technology that the UK spoke about that could look into a moving truck at 80km/hr and check if whats on the manifest is in the truck. So no that magic technology hasn't yet been invented

Barry

Number 13 in this twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1336628609574985728
Is this the technology solution that everyone said was impossible? Who would have thought that would come back, as it is impossible?
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on November 30, 2020, 06:53:39 PM
So the rhetoric of 2 years back where she said the EU is more important that the German car industry has changed then.

How many of us Brexiteers have been saying since day one that the EU will deal at the 11th hour?

As ever over the last 4+ years the Brexiteers have stayed fairly quiet. Once again we have stepped back in order to allow BJ and his cohorts the space the save the nation from Covid while fielding jibes with Barnier. I doubt very much that many have changed their minds on either side although today's announcement of the new farming subsidy proposals do sound far more reasonable than those we have suffered mainly for the benefit of so called French allotment holders who call themselves farmers.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 30, 2020, 06:14:20 PM
It started as a low hum but it seems the volume and pressure is building for there to be a deal. Barnier has been told to bend - poor chap - not only by Ursula von der Leyen President of the Commision who will have presumably been fielding discontent EU wide,  but today I see reports that Merkel is getting impatient.

Once again 'the fat lady' (no reference to Merkel specifically) is warming up and I am expecting her to erupt into full voice any time soon. Now the interesting thing will be just how disruptive Germany - a la Merkel - will be if Barnier fails. It's been boring of late but now it just might be building up to a grand finale. I wonder if there will be any curtain calls with standing ovations or just curtains!

I suspect tha Barnier is being set up as the fall guy. Mutti and the rest of the guys seem to have been strangely absent recently, so reckon that a deal has already been made and if there is a public backlash they will blame everything on Mad Mick.
Algerie Francais !