General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 11, 2021, 09:51:36 AM
a referendum where every single vote has the exact same weight should have encouraged a massive turnout ....

It should have,  but the torrent of lies, bullshine, and propaganda from both sides made it impossible for millions of people to make a decision.
(Now that project fear has turned out to be reality I suspect many of those are regretting not voting.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 11, 2021, 09:42:53 AM
Why mot simply accept that those 14m didn't care either way. Not everyone is a political anorak.

I have to say I found the lack of engagement strange.

Unlike a general election where in 60 to 80% of the seats research by Keele University showed voters who did not support the sitting MP were wasting their time voting because they would never in a million years overturn the entrenched majority - as shown in Newport East in 2010 when Labour still got in by 1400 votes, where they normally won by between 10k and 20k, a referendum where every single vote has the exact same weight should have encouraged a massive turnout ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 11, 2021, 09:42:53 AM
Why mot simply accept that those 14m didn't care either way. Not everyone is a political anorak.

I know several people who did not know which way to vote because of the lies from both sides, so they did not vote.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 09:22:33 AM
Given the lies from both sides than 14 million could not make a decision is not surprising.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 11, 2021, 09:10:48 AM

I can't help it if 14 million couldn't be arsed either way do didn't bother expressing a preference

Given the lies from both sides than 14 million could not make a decision is not surprising.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 19, 2020, 02:14:49 PM
The problem is a majority of the electorate did not vote leave. 17 million or so is not a majority of 48 million.

I can't help it if 14 million couldn't be arsed either way do didn't bother expressing a preference
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2021, 10:14:19 PM
/yawn.

It's over.
You lost, we're out, it's done.

It's too late to prove yourself.
The more you complain, the happier I am your lot are not in charge.

At no point have you identified a problem and provided a solution to it. At no point.
Which is why you will never be of any use to the country.

Baff you isulate yourself from current affairs.  It is no wonder you know bugger all about them,

Baff

/yawn.

It's over.
You lost, we're out, it's done.

It's too late to prove yourself.
The more you complain, the happier I am your lot are not in charge.

At no point have you identified a problem and provided a solution to it. At no point.
Which is why you will never be of any use to the country.

Nick

Quote from: Dynamis on December 20, 2020, 08:38:55 PM
Are we still winning???!??!?

Are you going to add value to the debate any time soon? Your childish drivel is starting to grate and I am ready to book a holiday.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on December 17, 2020, 05:20:29 PM
It wasn't a large majority, that is the problem.
Unfortunately for you, that is a subjective problem that the majority of us don't suffer from.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 19, 2020, 02:14:49 PM
The problem is a majority of the electorate did not vote leave. 17 million or so is not a majority of 48 million.
And a lower majority didn't vote Remain. We knew the rules before hand and that's how it's always been.
Also the majority was greater than the one that put 50 SNP MP's in parliament.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 19, 2020, 02:12:00 PM
I guess Smurfy has changed his mind about the size of the Leave majority.

Nick

Quote from: Nick on December 18, 2020, 11:20:39 AM
So the SNP didn't win with a large majority then, is that what you're saying?

I guess Smurfy has changed his mind about the size of the Leave majority.

Barry

Quote from: Dynamis on December 19, 2020, 11:15:29 AM
Look what I just found.

Oh dear, oh dear.
I didn't know vote leave is running the country.
That's now firmly with Boris and his 80 seat majority. He can't divert any mess, he will make our beds and we will lie in them.
† The end is nigh †