General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on January 27, 2021, 06:32:53 PM
Right Steve please explain why Im a right winger
You are a solid Brexiteer who appears to oppose everything the genuine progressive left stand for, regarding it as extreme. And appear only to have disdain for the Labour party. Your posts to this effect are frequently "thanked" by the right wingers on here whom you seem to agree with a lot.

I have yet to really see you acknowledge anything good in specific left wing policies like rent control, a living wage for all, security of tenure, abolition of zero hours contracts, etc. It is as if you regard such things either as extremist or beside the point. Did you not vote Conservative in 2017 and 2019?

You appear to have lurched to the right with age but seem reluctant to acknowledge that.

Am sure you will correct me if any of my impressions are wrong.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on January 27, 2021, 06:38:28 PM
I spend a considerably greater part of my time on Labour party forums, where this is much difference of opinion. We have neo-Thatcherite Blairite defenders of the status quo in our ranks after all. But the majority of debate, though often heated, rarely stoops to outright lies, misrepresentations, and personal abuse, and if it ever does the majority of people jump on it.

People who debate as dishonestly and abusively as Thomas is capable of doing - for example - tend not to last long.

There is another political forum with lots of right wingers on it which is nevertheless more balanced in the sense of having a fair few lefties too, with the mods being balanced as well, one an unusually fair minded Tory supporter and the other a lib dem centrist. Unfortunately I no longer feel able to post there as my software tells me it is an unsafe site. So when I want a change from Labour party stuff I'm stuck with here, which feels like a right wing club with a tiny number of barely tolerated left leaning gatecrashers, here only to be the whipping boys.
I take your point, but something I do notice, that those you class as right wing Tories on here are much more easy going and don't take kindly to the Lefts awful habit of thinking their every thought needs to be controlled, which you have been picked up on several times, as for Thomas he has been on the receiving end of Labours blundering so much he hates the Labour party with a passion. He doesn't hide it and has explained his reasons many times.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on January 27, 2021, 06:19:34 PM
It has certainly become less basic, which is never such a bad thing, do feel free to enlighten us, it beats rolling around in the mud.
I spend a considerably greater part of my time on Labour party forums, where this is much difference of opinion. We have neo-Thatcherite Blairite defenders of the status quo in our ranks after all. But the majority of debate, though often heated, rarely stoops to outright lies, misrepresentations, and personal abuse, and if it ever does the majority of people jump on it.

People who debate as dishonestly and abusively as Thomas is capable of doing - for example - tend not to last long.

There is another political forum with lots of right wingers on it which is nevertheless more balanced in the sense of having a fair few lefties too, with the mods being balanced as well, one an unusually fair minded Tory supporter and the other a lib dem centrist. Unfortunately I no longer feel able to post there as my software tells me it is an unsafe site. So when I want a change from Labour party stuff I'm stuck with here, which feels like a right wing club with a tiny number of barely tolerated left leaning gatecrashers, here only to be the whipping boys.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on January 27, 2021, 05:36:13 PM
Maybe this is the right forum for me after all then.

Right Steve please explain why Im a right winger
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on January 27, 2021, 05:36:13 PM
It has certainly become less basic, which is never such a bad thing, do feel free to enlighten us, it beats rolling around in the mud.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on January 27, 2021, 04:35:17 PM
Oh God. I have to say Steve, you used to be pretty good. But lately you have turned into a right boring little sod.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on January 27, 2021, 08:27:31 AM
I'll debate with anyone if they do so reasonably and without constant abuse, lies, and misrepresentations.

Oh God. I have to say Steve, you used to be pretty good. But lately you have turned into a right boring little sod.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on January 27, 2021, 08:27:31 AM
I'll debate with anyone if they do so reasonably and without constant abuse, lies, and misrepresentations. If they resort to that all the time I'll simply block them.

This forum though lacks balance and has the appearance of being a chummy bunch of right wingers who need a token lefty or two to mutually back slap each other over deriding. There is no mutual respect.

...and the derangerd uhinged screaming continues.

Hopefully steve , we  all come out of lockdown soon , and you can then go down the local momentum club in plymouth to get some much needed therapy of back slapping love from the fellow cult members.

You seem to be struggling out here in the big world dealing with any view that doesnt blindly follow your own.

Calling people like cromwell a right winger , or insinuating he is part of some right wing group that is out to get you really is scraping the bottom of the barrel lunacy and hysteria.

Everyone wants you to keep posting and engaging with others on this forum , its your constant whinging when folk dont agree with you that gets on everyones nerves.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 27, 2021, 12:01:58 AM
Is that it? You can only debate with people you agree with?

I'll debate with anyone if they do so reasonably and without constant abuse, lies, and misrepresentations. If they resort to that all the time I'll simply block them.

This forum though lacks balance and has the appearance of being a chummy bunch of right wingers who need a token lefty or two to mutually back slap each other over deriding. There is no mutual respect.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 26, 2021, 09:34:06 PM
You all clearly need someone to focus your collective disdain upon. Anyone who is not a right wing back slapper will do I suppose.

Sad people.

Is that it? You can only debate with people you agree with?

GBP is gaining, Euro is dropping. U.K. is smashing the EU in getting vaccines done, borders are returning to normal with the exception of EU petulance.
I'll use the word that Remoaners love to pounce on "We", it means those that are not Remoaners. "We" have been saying all along that we fully expect short term turmoil and a financial drop, COVID did that for us and has disguised a lot of the financial stuff but the U.K. is now able to steer its own course and it is certainly leaving the EU in it's shadow. COVID has shown that the 27 countries are shackled by the EU and cannot make their own decisions, the EU has delayed the vaccine rollout and therefore the return to normality by months.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on January 26, 2021, 01:23:25 PM
It is sad that we have lost Pappy, but at least we have Steve trying to plug the gap  :)
You all clearly need someone to focus your collective disdain upon. Anyone who is not a right wing back slapper will do I suppose.

Sad people.

Baff

Quote from: Barry on January 26, 2021, 01:11:18 PM
Pound slowly rising, Euro slowly sinking. Says a lot.  Union Flag

Bah. Prefer it the other way round, myself.

Borchester

It is sad that we have lost Pappy, but at least we have Steve trying to plug the gap  :)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Pound slowly rising, Euro slowly sinking. Says a lot.  Union Flag
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 26, 2021, 11:32:04 AM
So you blame Brexit for all the border delays and excessive red tape then?

Because if not, you are failing to take ownership of it and casting about for scapegoats.

And if you do take ownership of it, do you think it a good thing? Or simply an inevitable evil you and your ilk never acknowledged as likely in advance?

No I dont blame brexit , I blame those enacting it .    The trade deal in its last minute nature (they had 4 years to sort it out ) was always going to be a pain in reality with import export but things will be ironed out in the coming months .
As you say excessive red tape , that will be reduced when they are confident of procedure , dont panic  ,relax  , its going to be great .