Killing of PC Harper

Started by cromwell, July 24, 2020, 01:23:53 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2020, 09:08:04 AM
But I do suspect they will be voting in the next general election.
This sort of low life lacks the public spirit to bother voting. I've known some low life criminal types in my time and not a single one has ever been public spirited enough to ever bother. One thing I very much doubt they'll ever be doing is voting.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 25, 2020, 07:52:38 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on July 25, 2020, 07:45:24 PM

Is probably the unfortunate truth of the matter . The law doesn't protect our police officers enough . Lets hope the judge protects them a bit better than the jury

Do you happen to know how long the wait for sentencing is?

I think I read  it is next Friday

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 25, 2020, 07:45:24 PM

Is probably the unfortunate truth of the matter . The law doesn't protect our police officers enough . Lets hope the judge protects them a bit better than the jury

Do you happen to know how long the wait for sentencing is?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Javert on July 25, 2020, 01:06:43 PM

The jury probably felt that the prosecution had not proved the "intent" to kill him beyond reasonable doubt.

papasmurf

Quote from: Javert on July 25, 2020, 01:06:43 PM
What defence did they run against the murder charge?

I guess it would have hinged on "intent" - they must have claimed that they didn't know the police officer was being pulled behind the car, or that they he was hanging on by his own choice rather than unable to free himself?

The jury probably felt that the prosecution had not proved the "intent" to kill him beyond reasonable doubt.

There was no premeditation for start. The driver pleaded guilty to manslaughter. (Which perversely mean the other two could get longer sentences.)

Javert

What defence did they run against the murder charge?

I guess it would have hinged on "intent" - they must have claimed that they didn't know the police officer was being pulled behind the car, or that they he was hanging on by his own choice rather than unable to free himself?

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on July 25, 2020, 09:52:34 AM
OK, I'll stick my neck out and guess 12 years.
https://www.lawtonslaw.co.uk/resources/what-is-the-sentence-for-manslaughter-how-many-years-could-you-face-in-prison/
From that link
Sentencing is always contentious with regards to manslaughter. The harm caused by any offence that results in a death is immeasurable and often the public can be quick to anger, especially when courts hand out sentences that are seen as too lenient.

We're the sentences low I guess that it will be challenged and I think many would see 12 years far too low.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

OK, I'll stick my neck out and guess 12 years.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on July 25, 2020, 09:03:03 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2020, 08:54:33 AM

https://www.lawtonslaw.co.uk/resources/what-is-the-sentence-for-manslaughter-how-many-years-could-you-face-in-prison/

They'll be out in a year. Less if Starmer needs their votes.

I doubt that because of the number of "Brownie Points," the judge has to take into consideration, causing a death during the commission of a crime being just one of many.

I read the article top to bottom before i posted the link. I actually hope you are right. I fear I will be, and I suspect the reality will be somewhere between. But I do suspect they will be voting in the next general election.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2020, 08:54:33 AM

They'll be out in a year. Less if Starmer needs their votes.

I doubt that because of the number of "Brownie Points," the judge has to take into consideration, causing a death during the commission of a crime being just one of many.

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 24, 2020, 08:22:11 PM
Well I saw a piece from a rep from the crown prosecution service who stated that evidence presented clearly showed the car windows were open and those inside must've been aware of PC Harper.

Depends how drugged they were and how loud the music was being played.

cromwell

Well I saw a piece from a rep from the crown prosecution service who stated that evidence presented clearly showed the car windows were open and those inside must've been aware of PC Harper.
We do however have to accept the verdict (provided no evidence of tampering arises).....like I said the maximum sentence is life imprisonment and I wouldn't argue under the circumstances were that whole life
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 24, 2020, 04:12:32 PM

Perhaps she was relying on the jury delivering a decision without being intimidated by the gangs.

Gangs? No gangs involved, just the usual thieving suspects.
There has been a motorcycle rally for the last 30 years not far from their encampment. The rally have had to run security 24 hours a day at the rally because of those bandits.

Barry

That's British justice at work, Cromwell. Personally, I'd have preferred the police to have shot all three of the bstrds.
Lissie Harper doesn't seem to pleased with the verdict
https://news.sky.com/story/pc-harper-widow-lissie-says-she-is-immensely-disappointed-at-verdict-12035449
She obviously thinks they were guilty of murder.

Perhaps she was relying on the jury delivering a decision without being intimidated by the gangs.
† The end is nigh †