Has Labour caved?

Started by T00ts, October 29, 2019, 11:29:40 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=2943 time=1572370523 user_id=51
We probably will not. We will probably see an election where every contituent looks at the voting record of their current MP, their stance on the main issue in relation to their own, before voting either anything but them, or voting tactically -- i.e. anything but them, but also anything but Corbyn.

Therefore, I see the Brexit party and the Lib Dems doing well.

Labour will not see the support they saw in 2017. May tried electoral suicide in that election, but Boris does not REALLY want to be dead in a ditch!

Bring it on.  :dncg:

Did you see the clip of Corbyn bouncing gleefully down some stairs, jubilant at the prospect of the hustings he so adores? His vain promises are already on his lips ready to sweep the gullible voters to put their X by his candidates. It may be that this one line bill won't get through. Lots of dissension on his own benches so it may be closer than expected. Labour is on a knife edge.

One really good question by that  Labour woman that is a lot of mouth amongst a whole load of absolute rubbish - 'why is no-one answering the question of what on earth will happen if there is another hung parliament?'

Barry

Quote from: Javert post_id=2874 time=1572350387 user_id=64
Revenge of the Brexit - we will probably see an election where over 50% of people vote for remain parties, whilst the Tories win a majority and go ahead with no deal Brexit anyway based on less than 40% of folks voting for them.  Still, in the long term I suspect it will fix itself over the next decade or so.

We probably will not. We will probably see an election where every contituent looks at the voting record of their current MP, their stance on the main issue in relation to their own, before voting either anything but them, or voting tactically -- i.e. anything but them, but also anything but Corbyn.

Therefore, I see the Brexit party and the Lib Dems doing well.

Labour will not see the support they saw in 2017. May tried electoral suicide in that election, but Boris does not REALLY want to be dead in a ditch!

Bring it on.  :dncg:
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Also, if 16 years olds were included, would that apply to all future general elections, or would it be a unique thing for this particular election?  I'm guessing the latter if it was an amendment attached to the specific bill for this election.

However it would be hard to then remove that expectation again later.

T00ts

Some are saying it would be impossible to register them in time. I am sure that's right. However there are always 'nuts' who try their luck..

Javert

There's some odd information floating around saying that the opposition parties are going to vote for 16 year olds to be included in the GE, but if that amendment fails, they will withdraw their support, whereas if it succeeds, the government will pull the election.

The odd thing about that for me is that surely it would be impossible to hold a December election which included 16 year olds as they are not currently registered to vote, or am I missing something there?  Surely they would have to change a lot of procedures and so on - I'm not even sure that they put the names of under 18s on the register at all at the moment, so they would first have to allow a period of time for 16 and 17 years olds to register.  This would be impossible in the normal election timeframe?

Edit:  Therefore if this is correct I guess it just means Labour are playing games similar to what the Tories are doing by not allowing the WAB to be debated in that they are trying to avoid being accused of running scared, but at the same time there won't be an election either way.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=2890 time=1572355039 user_id=62
Sounds good. If the Tories get in with a decent majority they can change whatever laws they don't like anyway.

It will be interesting to see if the new fashion for trying to ignore majorities will continue into the GE result.

Borchester

Quote from: Javert post_id=2874 time=1572350387 user_id=64
Revenge of the Brexit - we will probably see an election where over 50% of people vote for remain parties, whilst the Tories win a majority and go ahead with no deal Brexit anyway based on less than 40% of folks voting for them.

Sounds good. If the Tories get in with a decent majority they can change whatever laws they don't like anyway.
Algerie Francais !

Javert

Revenge of the Brexit - we will probably see an election where over 50% of people vote for remain parties, whilst the Tories win a majority and go ahead with no deal Brexit anyway based on less than 40% of folks voting for them.  Still, in the long term I suspect it will fix itself over the next decade or so.

T00ts

Just reported - Corbyn has given in and will support a GE before Christmas. I guess it will be all in the detail now by any amendments lodged and chosen.

16yr olds voting?

EU's living here included?

Ex-pats voting too?

Will they still play games or just make it simple? My guess is it could be a lengthy game before the vote today but then it might be the dirtiest and most anxious campaign we have seen for a while.