Cultural appropriation

Started by T00ts, August 31, 2020, 08:43:33 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 03, 2020, 10:02:31 AM
Quote from: HDQQ on September 03, 2020, 09:59:51 AM

Is it OK for an English man of working-class background to wear a top hat and tails?

If they don't mind being pelted with eggs and rotten tomatoes, no problem.

That's a really disappointing post. I'm really glad that you don't live near Windsor. My daughter has just paid a fortune to kit her boy out in 2 sets of tails. Her son is a great chap, with no airs and graces who worked his socks off to follow his father to his old school. I sincerely hope you would not advocate throwing anything at him for no other reason than obeying his school rules.

HDQQ

Almost everything we do could be construed as cultural appropriation, from eating Pizza to learning a foreign language or growing tropical plants in your greenhouse.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on September 03, 2020, 09:59:51 AM

Is it OK for an English man of working-class background to wear a top hat and tails?

If they don't mind being pelted with eggs and rotten tomatoes, no problem.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Cultural appropriation is dodgy ground for anyone and everyone.

If it's not OK for white people to have dreadlocks, is it OK for black people to straighten their hair or dye in blond?

Is it OK for a non-Scottish man (or woman) to wear a kilt? Indeed is it OK for a non-Scottish person to wear tartan of any sort?

Is it OK for a British country and western enthusiast to dress Texas style?

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

Quote from: Dynamis on September 01, 2020, 11:33:42 PMYou were insinuating that they're faking their religion and looks in order to get away with having weed.

I'm simply pointing out that it was also found used in Ancient Israel, why can't it be their religious belief? IIRC some Coptics in Lebanon did a similar thing with weed - noting the difference between the Copts and the Arab Orthodox Churches (the latter never ever did this) - I am aligned with the Arab & Greek Orthodox.
Far from wanting to debate who should and did smoke weed, I was merely suggesting that it might prove handy for some people caught with cannabis, who also happened to be sporting dreadlocks, to claim their stash was for religious purposes.
Whether the contents of Camberwell Carrots may also have been used by civilisations and/or religions further east seems immaterial. So too does your apparent naive belief that people wouldn't claim to be religious just to get an advantage — look at the convolutions some parents go through to get their children into highly-rated Catholic schools...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: patman post on September 01, 2020, 11:21:23 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 01, 2020, 11:04:07 PMThat's rather prejudiced.

The Ancient Chinese took it for religious purposes also, as did Ancient Israelites, it has medical properties also. And before you ask, never touched the stuff or any drugs, other than the usual painkillers (tho not cocodamol).

But they have the right to their beliefs without your highly insulting prejudices.
Why prejudiced? It wasn't too long ago plod would arrest people for the smallest smoke. Even now the amount required for legit hassling for dealing is subjective. Luckily, as the aged found it a useful medication, it's even become respectable outside celebrity circles and the street scene.
As for the Chinese, the British kept them subdued with stronger substances, but no doubt you knew that...

You were insinuating that they're faking their religion and looks in order to get away with having weed.

I'm simply pointing out that it was also found used in Ancient Israel, why can't it be their religious belief? IIRC some Coptics in Lebanon did a similar thing with weed - noting the difference between the Copts and the Arab Orthodox Churches (the latter never ever did this) - I am aligned with the Arab & Greek Orthodox.
+++

patman post

Quote from: Dynamis on September 01, 2020, 11:04:07 PMThat's rather prejudiced.

The Ancient Chinese took it for religious purposes also, as did Ancient Israelites, it has medical properties also. And before you ask, never touched the stuff or any drugs, other than the usual painkillers (tho not cocodamol).

But they have the right to their beliefs without your highly insulting prejudices.
Why prejudiced? It wasn't too long ago plod would arrest people for the smallest smoke. Even now the amount required for legit hassling for dealing is subjective. Luckily, as the aged found it a useful medication, it's even become respectable outside celebrity circles and the street scene.
As for the Chinese, the British kept them subdued with stronger substances, but no doubt you knew that...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: patman post on September 01, 2020, 11:00:38 PM
Pot being the operative word — if caught with useable amounts of weed, dreadlocks add to the claim it's for religious purposes...

That's rather prejudiced.

+++

patman post

Pot being the operative word — if caught with useable amounts of weed, dreadlocks add to the claim it's for religious purposes...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on September 01, 2020, 10:28:20 PM
Quote from: patman post on September 01, 2020, 10:16:55 PMBut it's a defence...

Sorry you lost me - a defence in what way?

I guess he's just stirring the pot as usual without giving an opinion.
+++

T00ts

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2020, 10:04:49 AMFollowers being the operative word.  Just having dreads and smoking ganja doesn't qualify.
But it's a defence...

Streetwalker

I see nothing wrong in what Adele is wearing . Its a free country though she might want to put a jumper on over it today as its a bit nippy

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on August 31, 2020, 10:10:05 AM

He isn't putting it on. :)

There are white Jamaicans, it wasn't only black slaves. (People tend to forget that.) There were a lot of indentured Irish, which were little better than slaves.

Some background:-

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30934805.html
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

+++