Have I lost the plot?

Started by T00ts, August 31, 2020, 02:20:13 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Aw come on guys I was asking a genuine question don't let it descend into another playground squabble. If you can't get on, ignore one another!

I don't see why our fishing industry should be written off forever. Why can't we expect them to recover, get an entrepreneurial spirit once the French etc clear out and stop stripping the fish? I have heard enough complaints from fishermen bewailing their hard luck stories in the past. Now is their chance to show the rest of us what they are really made of. The same goes for every other business.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2020, 04:32:45 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 31, 2020, 04:27:24 PM
If they can't work out a deal on those terms then its no deal and if we had any bollocks no permits .

No permits no market in Europe for UK fresh fish and live shellfish. That will devastate where I live and cause severe hardship.

Theres no reason that Europe cant buy our produce from Newlyn dock . They just cant take it out of the water 4 miles off  Lizard point . The local economy will at worst remain unchanged and at best become  the thriving industry it once was , and some .

Borg Refinery

I dont think there will ever be a scenario where the French or anyone else for that matter are banned from fishing in British waters .  Im sure after Brexit is completed on new years eve we will be happy to repatriate some of the supposed billions we will be handing over by selling a few fishing permits .

Maybe the EU will be happy to buy them on their members behalf ?  The point being is the UK must  be dictating the rules on what happens in the UK and its territorial /economic zone waters . If they can't work out a deal on those terms then its no deal and if we had any bollocks no permits .

It already happened once.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-51364513
+++

papasmurf

If they can't work out a deal on those terms then its no deal and if we had any bollocks no permits .

No permits no market in Europe for UK fresh fish and live shellfish. That will devastate where I live and cause severe hardship.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

I dont think there will ever be a scenario where the French or anyone else for that matter are banned from fishing in British waters .  Im sure after Brexit is completed on new years eve we will be happy to repatriate some of the supposed billions we will be handing over by selling a few fishing permits .

Maybe the EU will be happy to buy them on their members behalf ?  The point being is the UK must  be dictating the rules on what happens in the UK and its territorial /economic zone waters . If they cant work out a deal on those terms then its no deal and if we had any bollocks no permits .

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on August 31, 2020, 04:18:33 PM
Well, the title said 'have I lost the plot', and you did - you sold yours in Herts or Bucks or whatever it was, so I thought I'd toast your business acumen.

Silly me.

I have asked you politely to stop harassing me.

Borg Refinery

Well, the title said 'have I lost the plot', and you did - you sold yours in Herts or Bucks or whatever it was, so I thought I'd toast your business acumen.

Silly me.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on August 31, 2020, 03:04:29 PM
Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2020, 02:20:13 PM
I have, and still am up to a point, taken a bit of a break from politics/news/media of late for the sake of my sanity but sanity seems to have been lost generally. I read today that France is up in arms because we won't 'compromise' (translation - capitulate) on fishing rights and obeying EU rules.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole point of leaving to leave wholesale?

Now if the EU wish to fish in our waters legally surely it only makes sense that we should be able to decide when and where and how much once our fishing boats have re-established themselves? Why does France expect to tie our hands now while our fishermen are decimated under EU agreements (sell out) of the past? Why should we be expected to bow to EU rule? Are France and the EU frightened that once we take back these things we will at last realise what we truly have and not want to relinquish it again.

Why is intransigence only one way? Where is their compromise? When is their fair play and level playing field? No - neighbours they might be but they are determined to become the sort where we would be looking at putting up a new fence.

The UK fishing industry contributes sod all to the economy and employs even less people. I think that the figures are a penny out of every eight pounds and one man or girlie in a thousand. I won't repeat the story about my ex son in law and the granddaughters' French, but I dare say that Barnier and Frost are only there to pad out their expenses.

Come 1 January 2021 nothing much will happen so the media will make something up. But that will be that.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/01/top-government-aide-said-britain-doesnt-need-farmers-fishermen-12327758/amp/

No wait, you missed one out - No farming AND no fishing! Just just pure singapore on thames goodness! ..and a -8% drop in GDP growth on top of what we already have. Sounds good Borkie let's do it.
+++

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2020, 03:10:05 PM

The UK fishing industry contributes sod all to the economy and employs even less people.

OK for the alright Jacks rabid Brexiteers but a no deal crash out Brexit will devastate where I live.

Comment removed by forum admin
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

The UK fishing industry contributes sod all to the economy and employs even less people.

OK for the alright Jacks rabid Brexiteers but a no deal crash out Brexit will devastate where I live. 

papasmurf

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole point of leaving to leave wholesale?

If that happens, as I suspect it will, there will be severe consequences.

Borchester

I have, and still am up to a point, taken a bit of a break from politics/news/media of late for the sake of my sanity but sanity seems to have been lost generally. I read today that France is up in arms because we won't 'compromise' (translation - capitulate) on fishing rights and obeying EU rules.

Now if the EU wish to fish in our waters legally surely it only makes sense that we should be able to decide when and where and how much once our fishing boats have re-established themselves? Why does France expect to tie our hands now while our fishermen are decimated under EU agreements (sell out) of the past? Why should we be expected to bow to EU rule? Are France and the EU frightened that once we take back these things we will at last realise what we truly have and not want to relinquish it again.

Why is intransigence only one way? Where is their compromise? When is their fair play and level playing field? No - neighbours they might be but they are determined to become the sort where we would be looking at putting up a new fence.

The UK fishing industry contributes sod all to the economy and employs even less people. I think that the figures are a penny out of every eight pounds and one man or girlie in a thousand. I won't repeat the story about my ex son in law and the granddaughters' French, but I dare say that Barnier and Frost are only there to pad out their expenses.

Come 1 January 2021 nothing much will happen so the media will make something up. But that will be that.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts