The Brexit Party campaign launch

Started by Barry, November 01, 2019, 11:21:08 AM

« previous - next »

Javert

Well from what I can see, he did exactly what I expected him to do - claim he is going to stand in all the seats but give hints that he might change his mind later if the Conservatives say no deal, which they won't.

It may seem obvious that the Brexit party should stand aside to facilitate a Tory victory.  However, I suspect that you have to also think forward to 2020 and beyond - if Boris Johnson gets a large majority in the HOC and the Brexit party is neutralised for the forseeable future, I would place a pretty big bet that Boris will betray the Brexiteers next Autumn, extend the transition again and go for a softer Brexit.  Boris Johnson doesn't really believe in hard Brexit or no deal Brexit except insofar as it provides his path to 5 years of power.  Other than that, he won't hesitate to throw it aside later if he gets the chance.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3437 time=1572610579 user_id=89
Unfortunately due to the election campaign being underway I can't comment how I would like to about Farage.

Bit late for that Pappy. Obviously we are your mates and will try to shield you but how long will Derek Thomas' goons take to track down a 70 year old Tory hating motor cycle nut in St Ives?
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Wonder if Farage will get a seat this time — be good to see him operating among first rank national politicians rather than the second tier of has-beens the EU's electorates usually select for the EU parliament...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3437 time=1572610579 user_id=89
Unfortunately due to the election campaign being underway I can't comment how I would like to about Farage.

Strange response. I would have thought that now the election date is set and campaigns launching, now is just the time to air one's views on parties, party leaders, and candidates...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=3430 time=1572607268 user_id=51
Nigel Farage proposes a "Leave Alliance" of Brexit candidates and other party's candidates.

He also proposes a FTA to be negotiated for a leaving date of 1st July in a "Proper Brexit".

He says MPs from other parties are in touch and cooperating.

Sounds bollocks to me. According to the latest polls, the Brexit Party is leaking support and the Tories are picking it up all the time. The one on a hiding to nothing is Farage. Still, underneath all the bluster BoJo is a cautious sort and as clever as the proverbial latrine rodent, so he might do a deal on some of the softer Labour seats. But not unless he really has to and has evidence that Farage can actually deliver.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Nigel Farage proposes a "Leave Alliance" of Brexit candidates and other party's candidates.

He also proposes a FTA to be negotiated for a leaving date of 1st July in a "Proper Brexit".

He says MPs from other parties are in touch and cooperating.
† The end is nigh †