EU Tells No 10: Bill Still Breaks Intl Law Despite Compromise

Started by Dynamis, September 19, 2020, 04:02:23 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 21, 2020, 03:29:52 PM
'A party may not invoke the provisions of its internal law as justification for its failure to perform a treaty'.

Tell that to spain.

Spain is quite happy to ignore the international law on self determination in catalonia , while demanding morocco respects the right of self determination in ceuta and mellila . Morroco then argues the un law on decolonistation should apply , which the spanish contest , while the cheeky spanish cants demand the same laws should apply to gibraltar.

Feck international law,,,,its an ass which only applies when the strong see fit.

.......and the uk is still leaving the eu.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 21, 2020, 03:29:52 PM
can anyone say what EU law that they have a problem with and in January it's at the top of the list to remove.

:D

Gerry its over mate , we will have fully left in january. Your daft wee eu laws wont apply to us so why do we care.?

We are out mate deal with it.

Im looking forward to freedom! ;)

GerryT

can anyone say what EU law that they have a problem with and in January it's at the top of the list to remove. Now I'm sure you all have a very long list so maybe keep it to your top ten.
Try to be specific, rather than saying "them all" because that just shows you haven't a clue what your talking about.

As for international law not been a law, countries have committed to following international "law", the vienna convention states:

"Every international lawyer is familiar with the Vienna convention on the law of treaties, and its article 27, which reflects a general principle: 'A party may not invoke the provisions of its internal law as justification for its failure to perform a treaty'.

"There is simply no way around this binding rule – to opine that parliament is sovereign is, in this sense, hopeless."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/11/brexit-override-plan-would-breach-vienna-convention-qc-says

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Baff on September 21, 2020, 01:06:48 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 20, 2020, 09:12:05 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 19, 2020, 05:43:47 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 19, 2020, 05:25:59 PM
There is no such thing as international law

Sovereign states make their own laws, and sovereign states decide which bits, if any, of other sovereign states laws they will respect, and which they will respectfully tell the other sovereign state to shove where the sun does not shine.

If you doubt this to be a fact, try getting a US serviceman subpoenaed to give evidence of fact to a united kingdom coroners court.

The European Hegemony can take its pathetic little whiny gripes and shove them up its arse.

There is some truth in that of course.

But I'm interested in that Thatcher quote about intl law which keeps resurfacing, what do you think of that?

got a link ? preferably one that isn't to a site behind a paywall ? because i have no idea what you're referring to ...

"Britain does not break Treaties.

It would be bad for Britain, bad for our relations with the rest of the world and bad for any future treaty on trade we may need to make."

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/102675

and...

International treaties are not "laws".
Much as globalists wish them to be.

To call a treaty obligation a "law" is to miunderstand or more likely misrepresent, what a law is.

Go on then, baflle us with your definitions..
+++

Baff

Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 12:44:38 PM

Sovereign states make their own laws, and sovereign states decide which bits, if any, of other sovereign states laws they will respect, and which they will respectfully tell the other sovereign state to shove where the sun does not shine.

If you doubt this to be a fact, try getting a US serviceman subpoenaed to give evidence of fact to a united kingdom coroners court.

The European Hegemony can take its pathetic little whiny gripes and shove them up its arse.

But I'm interested in that Thatcher quote about intl law which keeps resurfacing, what do you think of that?

got a link ? preferably one that isn't to a site behind a paywall ? because i have no idea what you're referring to ...

It would be bad for Britain, bad for our relations with the rest of the world and bad for any future treaty on trade we may need to make."

and...

International treaties are not "laws".
Much as globalists wish them to be.

To call a treaty obligation a "law" is to miunderstand or more likely misrepresent, what a law is.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on September 20, 2020, 04:58:34 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 04:51:58 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 20, 2020, 04:46:15 PM

You are definitely showing Brexit tendencies Thomas. Do you feel ok? 😊

without a doubt toots. Not liking a lot of the things im reading about the eu , nor as i say how english remainers have behaved over the last four half years.

When the Brexit debate started I too was ambivalent in many ways. I had both of my children on opposite sides and although I recognised my own loathing of the EU over the years I did feel it was time for the young to choose their path. Then I started my own research. Regardless of what either side was prophesying I came to feel that I simply had to stand up for what I believe.  It caused some friction with my one daughter and we have since avoided the subject. My only hope now is that in time the whole country will recognise that hard though this decision was, it was right.

Toots , nothing better than a good fight i think. It generally helps clear the air afterward. ;)

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 04:51:58 PM

without a doubt toots. Not liking a lot of the things im reading about the eu , nor as i say how english remainers have behaved over the last four half years.

When the Brexit debate started I too was ambivalent in many ways. I had both of my children on opposite sides and although I recognised my own loathing of the EU over the years I did feel it was time for the young to choose their path. Then I started my own research. Regardless of what either side was prophesying I came to feel that I simply had to stand up for what I believe.  It caused some friction with my one daughter and we have since avoided the subject. My only hope now is that in time the whole country will recognise that hard though this decision was, it was right.

Thomas

QuoteBy 1970, the court ruled that Community law must take precedence even over the constitutional laws of member states — including basic laws guaranteeing fundamental rights, such as in Internationale Handelsgesellschaft mbH v Einfuhr- und Vorratsstelle für Getreide und Futtermittel.

I see this as vassalage, not independence

https://wingsoverscotland.com/fairs-fair-the-brexit-case-for-indyref-2/#more-118585

Thomas

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
She also said this though Dyno...

We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed at a European level with a European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels.

Working more closely together does not require power to be centralized in Brussels or decisions to be taken by an appointed bureaucracy.

Thomas

She also said this though Dyno...

We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed at a European level with a European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels.

Working more closely together does not require power to be centralized in Brussels or decisions to be taken by an appointed bureaucracy.

Borg Refinery

and...
+++

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2020, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: Borchester on September 19, 2020, 06:15:24 PM

Maggie probably had a gunboat handy, which is why the Falklands are the Falklands and not the Malvinas

borkie there was an islas malvinas argentinas facebook page and some mad bastard was on there winding all the argentinians up with pictures of the falklands in 1982. :D

It was probably Nick.
+++

Stevlin

Well there is apparently no mechanism in the withdrawal agreement for rescinding the backstop agreement, and negotiated withdrawals are obviously possible - even in international law - but the UK hasn't undertaken that step. However, as you righty point out, 'Sovereign' states , by definition, have that ability to decide for themselves ..... albeit, one would expect that exercising that right  would have been prefaced by prior notification , or at least by a request to discuss the proposed exercising of that right.