Why does God let it happen?

Started by T00ts, September 28, 2020, 11:27:57 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Nick on October 23, 2020, 11:51:09 AM
But what we are expected to believe is that these supernatural events were transcribed onto paper, certainly not a supernatural item. That's where the disconnect is for me.
Well, it's not as if it is set in stone.  ;)

Moses wrote Genesis, it is believed by many to be by supernatural knowledge straight from God.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 23, 2020, 09:33:01 AMThe supernatural cannot be explained by natural means, or it wouldn't be supernatural, would it! 

But what we are expected to believe is that these supernatural events were transcribed onto paper, certainly not a supernatural item. That's where the disconnect is for me.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Javert on October 22, 2020, 12:59:17 PM
This is only partly related but I heard some interesting commentary recently about the word virgin and how the use of that word in translations of sacred texts, which forms the basis of some aspects of Christian beliefs, may have actually ben a mistranslation and the original word in the original language actually just meant "woman" rather than implying virginity.
If it were not so clearly laid out in the gospels it might be a mistake. However, the virgin birth is a tenet of the Christian faith.
Otherwise, you are implying Mary was a liar, perhaps Joseph was the father, and "The Word became flesh" is all lies.
Atheists will do all they can to undermine the scriptures, those with faith won't be having any of it, thanks.
The supernatural cannot be explained by natural means, or it wouldn't be supernatural, would it!  :)
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on October 22, 2020, 12:59:17 PM
This is only partly related but I heard some interesting commentary recently about the word virgin and how the use of that word in translations of sacred texts, which forms the basis of some aspects of Christian beliefs, may have actually ben a mistranslation and the original word in the original language actually just meant "woman" rather than implying virginity.

Interesting and very possible. Certainly she would been pure since God cannot accept sin, it is also fairly certain that she was pre-ordained. It brings it to the forefront that the Bible is subject to mistakes in translation. Just recently I heard via some scholars that Israel actually means 'God prevails'.

Javert

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell on October 22, 2020, 10:05:10 AMAye! and find them welded shut with a sign pointing to the down escalator 

I take it this means I can't offer you as a reference then?  :D

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 22, 2020, 09:41:32 AM
I was merely reflecting on the possibility that if Jesus himself got into a spot of bother now and again, there may still be hope for me yet when I rock up to the pearly gates  :D
Aye! and find them welded shut with a sign pointing to the down escalator :) :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on October 22, 2020, 09:20:34 AMOh DD! You are incorrigible

I was merely reflecting on the possibility that if Jesus himself got into a spot of bother now and again, there may still be hope for me yet when I rock up to the pearly gates  :D

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 22, 2020, 09:01:55 AM
This is new? I'd always imagined that Jesus sounded like some kind of ancient liberal/lefty (oh won't you think of the children kind of way). But you're saying he was a bit of a hooligan?  :D

Oh DD! You are incorrigible! It is true that Jesus did throw the current thinking of His time on it's head. He was constantly putting the Pharisees right, showing their hypocrisy and how their interpretations of the Law was incorrect. In the end they persuaded enough people to accuse Him and crucify Him thinking they had won and got rid of an upstart.

They were waiting for the Messiah and still are. Jesus didn't fill the bill as just a lowly carpenter with an attitude problem and enough charisma to persuade a lot of folk to treat Him as a rock star and go against their authority. It's hardly surprising that there He was in their midst, they could hear Him and see His abilities and yet still couldn't believe who He was. It's hardly surprising that we struggle.

Sometimes all the dots are in place yet still people choose not to join them up. Never mind, next time He won't be asking, it will be as clear as day exactly who He is.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nick on October 20, 2020, 11:02:17 PMThis is not the exact story I heard, I think on a TV program, but the heading lines up with the story.

This is new? I'd always imagined that Jesus sounded like some kind of ancient liberal/lefty (oh won't you think of the children kind of way). But you're saying he was a bit of a hooligan?  :D

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2020, 04:43:31 PM
No, I'm not. I have no idea how old the earth is. I strongly suspect that you don't either.

I have a number but I suspect it doesn't tally with the figure of 6 to 12 thousand years since Adam and Eve.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on October 21, 2020, 01:56:40 PM
You're not going to tell me the Earth is only 7000 years old or something are you?
No, I'm not. I have no idea how old the earth is. I strongly suspect that you don't either.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on October 21, 2020, 01:55:37 PM
Sorry Toots, you can't use that: Man wasn't there to experience the beginning of the universe but the Earths creation is referenced in Genesis.

OK - I actually added this and then deleted it before posting because I thought it might open another can of worms but here goes.

Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden and walked and talked with God before they were tempted. God would have taught them what they needed to know so there is every possibility that how the earth was made would have been covered. Only that way could Genesis early chapters be written for posterity.

Before anyone questions that we understand that God told them what they could and couldn't do so there was evidently some discussion.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2020, 12:07:22 PMAnd how do you get your timeline? Is it reliable?

You're not going to tell me the Earth is only 7000 years old or something are you?

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 11:55:40 AMDo dinosaurs etc feature in man's experience?

Sorry Toots, you can't use that: Man wasn't there to experience the beginning of the universe but the Earths creation is referenced in Genesis.