The Mask

Started by Dynamis, September 30, 2020, 01:39:34 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on October 02, 2020, 03:21:51 PM
by all the older arseholes I encounter who only cover their moths

Their moths?

:D

I heard quite a few fly out your wallet from time to time srb.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: HDQQ on October 02, 2020, 11:42:53 AM
As I've said before, wearing a mask is not a guarantee against getting Covid-19 BUT tests have shown that it reduces the risk of spreading or catching the virus. If everyone wears masks, even if that only brings the R number down from 1.1 to 0.9, it's worthwhile on a community level as well as individual.
Well a mask did bugger all to stop me catching a cold recently. Which was of course not helped by all the older arseholes I encounter who only cover their mouths with them, leaving their noses uncovered as they breathe all over you. If you are not going to wear a mask properly you might as well use it as an armband for all the good it will do. F**king idiots! Could do with some actual enforcement including a few exemplary fines.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on October 02, 2020, 11:58:53 AM
If we have to wear masks, then why not make them a fashion statement too,

Loads of those available for ridiculously high prices.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on October 02, 2020, 11:54:28 AM
Thought it was aabout this!

https://youtu.be/KONoeHwu2pg
You stick with me kid, you will get better at this.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: HDQQ on October 02, 2020, 11:58:53 AM
If we have to wear masks, then why not make them a fashion statement too, or at least make them humorous. As long as their filtering properties are not compromised, pretty masks or funny masks can harmlessly brighten up a not-very-funny situation.  As soon as there's no longer any need to wear masks, we'll all abandon them anyway.

I meant that as fashion statements first and effective last. Like I posted mine are pretty but hopefully effective.

HDQQ

If we have to wear masks, then why not make them a fashion statement too, or at least make them humorous. As long as their filtering properties are not compromised, pretty masks or funny masks can harmlessly brighten up a not-very-funny situation.  As soon as there's no longer any need to wear masks, we'll all abandon them anyway.

By the way in my previous post I muddled up the quotes so that I appeared to be saying the thing that I was meant to be questioning. I tried to repair the situation so in the end I scrubbed it all but it still shows in the reply that followed.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: HDQQ on October 02, 2020, 11:42:53 AM
As I've said before, wearing a mask is not a guarantee against getting Covid-19 BUT tests have shown that it reduces the risk of spreading or catching the virus. If everyone wears masks, even if that only brings the R number down from 1.1 to 0.9, it's worthwhile on a community level as well as individual.

For the majority of encounters they are a total waste of bloody time.With all the mask wearing, one would also expect a reduction in the expected number of common cold and flu cases, assuming anyone can ascertain what that expected number would be!

QuoteThe reality is contamination is dependent on not just proximity, but also time spent in proximity./

Masks have become a fashion statement. Match the outfit, make it pretty rather than serviceable. Styles and structure varies massively . Mine are pretty but they a double plus a pocket for a filter and I wear it hopefully correctly, but I see every variation possible when I'm out from uncovered noses, uncovered mouth and nose with the mask worn as a drip catcher under the chin. It doesn't bode well.

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

See, if you keep posting stuff, there will come a time when even I will agree with what you post ....

Unsurprisingly, as one who has work a full porton suit, but to protect my cell cultures from me and not me from my cultures which is the normal reason, I knew most of this already. You can add "not seeing where you're bloody going thanks to the upward exhalation all over glasses that won't stay on your nose" for any and all spectacle wearers

The reality is contamination is dependent on not just proximity, but also time spent in proximity. For the majority of encounters they are a total waste of bloody time.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

Most scientific articles and guidelines in the context of the covid-19 pandemic highlight two potential side effects of wearing surgical face masks in the public, but we believe that there are other ones that are worth considering before any global public health policy is implemented involving billions of people.

The two potential side effects that have already been acknowledged are:

(1) Wearing a face mask may give a false sense of security and make people adopt a reduction in compliance with other infection control measures, including social distancing and hands washing.[3]

(2) Inappropriate use of face mask: people must not touch their masks, must change their single-use masks frequently or wash them regularly, dispose them correctly and adopt other management measures, otherwise their risks and those of others may increase.[3,4]

Other potential side effects that we must consider are:

(3) The quality and the volume of speech between two people wearing masks is considerably compromised and they may unconsciously come closer. While one may be trained to counteract side effect n.1, this side effect may be more difficult to tackle.

(4) Wearing a face mask makes the exhaled air go into the eyes. This generates an uncomfortable feeling and an impulse to touch your eyes. If your hands are contaminated, you are infecting yourself.

(5) Face masks make breathing more difficult. For people with COPD, face masks are in fact intolerable to wear as they worsen their breathlessness.[5] Moreover, a fraction of carbon dioxide previously exhaled is inhaled at each respiratory cycle. Those two phenomena increase breathing frequency and deepness, and hence they increase the amount of inhaled and exhaled air. This may worsen the burden of covid-19 if infected people wearing masks spread more contaminated air. This may also worsen the clinical condition of infected people if the enhanced breathing pushes the viral load down into their lungs.

(5B) The effects described at point 5 are amplified if face masks are heavily contaminated (see point 2)

(6) While impeding person-to-person transmission is key to limiting the outbreak, so far little importance has been given to the events taking place after a transmission has happened, when innate immunity plays a crucial role. The main purpose of the innate immune response is to immediately prevent the spread and movement of foreign pathogens throughout the body.[6] The innate immunity's efficacy is highly dependent on the viral load. If face masks determine a humid habitat where the SARS-CoV-2 can remain active due to the water vapour continuously provided by breathing and captured by the mask fabric, they determine an increase in viral load and therefore they can cause a defeat of the innate immunity and an increase in infections. This phenomenon may also interact with and enhance previous points.

In conclusion, as opposed to Greenhalgh et al., we believe that the context of the current covid-19 pandemic is very different from that of the "parachutes for jumping out of aeroplanes",[7] in which the dynamics of harm and prevention are easy to define and even to quantify without the need of research studies. It is necessary to quantify the complex interactions that may well be operating between positive and negative effects of wearing surgical masks at population level. It is not time to act without evidence.

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1435/rr-40
+++