Are we bovvered?

Started by T00ts, October 01, 2020, 11:58:26 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

+++

Sheepy

Quote from: Nalaar on October 01, 2020, 08:52:19 PM
It's not something I have much interest in, so wouldn't describe myself as a unionist or a nationalist. I think the governments handling of Brexit will be a strong argument for Irish nationalism, as it is for Scottish nationalism.
Oh you mean how the Westminster party used the differing votes in differing areas of the UK and drive a wedge against a democratic vote and create a position where they could stay part of the EU, well if you play with dynamite, don't be surprised when it blows up.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nalaar

Quote from: Thomas on October 01, 2020, 08:27:27 PM
Where do you stand on the  "british union"?

It's not something I have much interest in, so wouldn't describe myself as a unionist or a nationalist. I think the governments handling of Brexit will be a strong argument for Irish nationalism, as it is for Scottish nationalism.
Don't believe everything you think.

Thomas

Quote from: Nalaar on October 01, 2020, 08:25:25 PM
I would assume the Johnston government will take little-to-no notice of any rulings made against them, much to the joy of Eurosceptics who will see it as nothing more than the disrespect the EU deserve.

It will of course have many knock-on effects, not least the UKs standings internationally, but the thing about Nationalism is it puts a very low opinion on others critical opinions, so I don't they will see this as a downside worth avoiding.

Where do you stand on the  "british union"?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nalaar

I would assume the Johnston government will take little-to-no notice of any rulings made against them, much to the joy of Eurosceptics who will see it as nothing more than the disrespect the EU deserve.

It will of course have many knock-on effects, not least the UKs standings internationally, but the thing about Nationalism is it puts a very low opinion on others critical opinions, so I don't they will see this as a downside worth avoiding.
Don't believe everything you think.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2020, 07:47:44 PM
That's seems interesting. It sounds as if you agree that the EU held our feet to the fire. Luckily for them we an easy target in No 10. Times change though.

Whats always interesting is that gerry , a so called irishman , seems more interested in the eu getting one up on you british than  what the people of northern ireland actually want.

I have said all along , all the province is to gerry is a convenient stick to beat brexiters with.

...and whenever we talk about the people of northern ireland actually having any real and meaningfull say , he runs off with some predictable excuse.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on October 01, 2020, 07:45:27 PM
Fishing is up for negioating and it could swing one way or the other. Level playing field and the NI protocol are not negotiable.

Why would Barnier need a face saving excuse, its no skin off his nose if the EU gets a deal with the UK or not. His main job was sorthing brexit, which he did with flying colours. He got the WA signed which gave the EU everything they wanted, job done.

That's seems interesting. It sounds as if you agree that the EU held our feet to the fire. Luckily for them we an easy target in No 10. Times change though.

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on October 01, 2020, 03:11:00 PM
Good idea. Sea fishing is in decline and as far as the UK is concerned it probably won't matter in a few years. National pride means that we have to make a fuss, but it is really about finding Barnier and Co a face saving way to wrap up the negotiations.

Fishing is up for negioating and it could swing one way or the other. Level playing field and the NI protocol are not negotiable.

Why would Barnier need a face saving excuse, its no skin off his nose if the EU gets a deal with the UK or not. His main job was sorthing brexit, which he did with flying colours. He got the WA signed which gave the EU everything they wanted, job done.

GerryT

Quote from: Javert on October 01, 2020, 02:40:30 PM
Well that could be debatable - the treaty contains some comments about the parties acting in good faith, and passing a law which is deliberately designed to allow one party to break the treaty is arguably not in good faith.

A lot of this is pure posturing because I think they have put something in that means there will be a further vote before this particular part can be used - which then begs the question, why does it need to be in the bill now anyway?

That's even aside of the question that is the circumstances for this to be needed are only going to happen in January and only in an "emergency" situation, why do we need to pass a law about it now?
Agreed it isn't a straight forward breach but passing a law to allow you to breach the treaty as you say. But the WA and a future trade deal are not in any way connected and the EU will expect the UK to honour it's part of the agreement, as the EU will also.

Streetwalker

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 01, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
As the UK has reneged on a freely entered into signed agreement, surely its only defence can be mitigating circumstances?
Another question must be: can the ECJ actually enforce any judgement on a non-EU country?
It's up to the UK to play a blinder if it wants to keep its reputation as an honest dealer in the wider world...

Well yes mitigating circumstances (that the EU has not acted in good faith )is exactly what the defence is 

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 01, 2020, 03:17:40 PM
Yes as I have previously reported all treaty disputes between the UK and the EU are referred to the European Court of Justice . Basically its an away game .
With fergie time ;D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

As the UK has reneged on a freely entered into signed agreement, surely its only defence can be mitigating circumstances?
Another question must be: can the ECJ actually enforce any judgement on a non-EU country?
It's up to the UK to play a blinder if it wants to keep its reputation as an honest dealer in the wider world...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2020, 02:02:43 PM
If it goes to a court will it go to the totally unbiased/non partisan European Court?

Yes as I have previously reported all treaty disputes between the UK and the EU are referred to the European Court of Justice .  Basically its an away game .