Conservative conference: Johnson on 'broken' housing market

Started by GBNews, October 08, 2020, 01:05:58 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Its all very well giving people the chance to own their own drum with 95% mortgages but that doesn't help them pay it . How on earth does anyone expect  a young couple on the average wage to pay a £200,000 mortgage ?  (Thats the cheapest I can see in Croydonia )

The answer is maybe the Japanese way of 100 year generation mortgages which would substantially lower repayments and instead of leaving your kids the house  you leave them a debt  ;D

But yes the only way my two lads are going to buy a house is when they get their hands on mine .   

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 08, 2020, 03:23:18 PM
I can remember having a 17.5% interest mortgage and a 17.5% bridging loan, on Thatcher's watch. Just one of many reasons I could never be sympathetic to the Tories.

I can remember when no one would give me a mortgage and then the Tories sold me my council flat and I thought F@@@ the revolution, me and mine are going to become middle class.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 08, 2020, 03:12:50 PM

(b) homeowners, once they have gotten over the arse numbing terror of mortgage payments and the cost of raising children, tend to be sympathetic to the Conservatives.

I can remember having a 17.5% interest mortgage and a 17.5% bridging loan, on Thatcher's watch. Just one of many reasons I could never be sympathetic to the Tories.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on October 08, 2020, 01:38:18 PM
Wasn't it lending to people who could not meet the payments a bit of a problem about 12 years ago.
Why would we want to do that again?

Because

(a) we are dicks

(b) homeowners, once they have gotten over the arse numbing terror of mortgage payments and the cost of raising children, tend to be sympathetic to the Conservatives.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Wasn't it lending to people who could not meet the payments a bit of a problem about 12 years ago.
Why would we want to do that again?
† The end is nigh †

GBNews

Conservative conference: Johnson on 'broken' housing market

Boris Johnson pledges to help young people get a "long-term fixed-rate mortgage" worth up to 95% of the home's value.

Source: Conservative conference: Johnson on 'broken' housing market