Tom Watson on giving free holiday meals to children

Started by GBNews, October 26, 2020, 01:00:59 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on October 27, 2020, 07:28:42 AM
Gets boring listening to these labour party muppets hand wringing over things like poverty.........nice easy huggy feelgood bandwagons for labour to jump aboard and try and political point score while they flounder at all the other major issues.

I grew up in child poverty in glasgow ( but had a fantastic childhood despite this ) , and labour did feck all for me or mine despite being in charge of glasgow city council for the best part of 80 years , not to mention all the years they were voted in as the party of scotland.

Child poverty barely moved under the terms of the last labour governments , it went down slightly before rising in the final years. Labour were made to look silly when they were forced to admit defeat in halving child poverty , something they missed by a country mile in their thirteen years in power .

Labour should hold their feckin heads in shame when talking about child poverty and things like free school meals , and anyone who believes anything they spout on the subject needs thier heads examined as im sure you would agree cromwell.

http://www.solfed.org.uk/catalyst/poverty-gap-widens-under-labour

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poverty-levels-have-grown-under-labour-104362.html
Well there was the theory that some labour politicians never wanted their core vote to prosper too much because they'd sod off if they did,no it was best to keep them in their council estates reliant on them for a manageable existence.

You can only do that for so long before the plebs see through it and sod off anyway........as has happened.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 27, 2020, 08:43:44 AM
So do a lot of Tory MPs in marginal seats.

And it is always fun to see the government get a good kick in the balls over, well, anything. But the real question is why Boris has allowed himself to dig himself into such a hole over such a trivial matter. I reckon that the Chinese Cough has fried his brains.

Given relative miniscule amount of money for seven vouchers a week instead of five the Tories are being perverse.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: News on October 26, 2020, 01:00:59 PM

The former Labour deputy leader thinks the government "might have to concede" on free meals for children in school holidays.

Source: Tom Watson on giving free holiday meals to children

So do a lot of Tory MPs in marginal seats.

And it is always fun to see the government get a good kick in the balls over, well, anything. But the real question is why Boris has allowed himself to dig himself into such a hole over such a trivial matter. I reckon that the Chinese Cough has fried his brains.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on October 26, 2020, 02:44:25 PM
Yes they might,just thinking did Tom ever concede or apologise to the family of Leon Brittan or others when he was playing at being a Joe McCarthy?

Gets boring listening to these labour party muppets hand wringing over things like poverty.........nice easy huggy feelgood bandwagons for labour to jump aboard and try and political point score while they flounder at all the other major issues.

I grew up in child poverty in glasgow ( but had a fantastic childhood despite this ) , and labour did feck all for me or mine despite being in charge of glasgow city council for the best part of 80 years , not to mention all the years they were voted in as the party of scotland.

Child poverty barely moved under the terms of the last labour governments , it went down slightly before rising in the final years. Labour were made to look silly when they were forced to admit defeat in halving child poverty , something they missed by a country mile in their thirteen years in power .

Labour should hold their feckin heads in shame when talking about child poverty and things like free school meals , and anyone who believes anything they spout on the subject needs thier heads examined as im sure you would agree cromwell.

Remember the Tories looking after the rich at the expense of the poor? Remember the jubilation when the Labour Government was finally elected in 1997? Remember all the promises? Well, the latest research from the Institute for Fiscal Studies says the total poverty gap - the total income by which families fall short of the poverty line - has increased under Labour.

The report concludes that children who live in the poorest UK households have less of a chance of escaping poverty than when Labour came to power. Yet, child poverty is one of Labour's key targets, and has been at the heart of the political agenda since 1999.

Although some poor families have benefited, it is the rich who have benefited more. According to government surveys, 1.1 million children live in households with less than 40% of the national average income. Four out of 10 of these children live in households that do not receive any of the main means-tested benefits - even though they may be entitled to claim.

More and more people are being forced in to minimum wage jobs that are casual, temporary and often part-time. It is these in low-paid minimum wage jobs that are stuck in the poverty trap between benefits and a decent wage.

So, for all their talk, this government has failed abysmally to tackle poverty.Their policies benefit the rich at the expense of the poor - and they are set to continue to do so.

http://www.solfed.org.uk/catalyst/poverty-gap-widens-under-labour
Poverty levels have grown under Labour

QuoteThe gap between rich and poor in Britain is at its largest in 13 years and poverty levels under Tony Blair exceed those under Margaret Thatcher, government statistics reveal.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics for income inequality show that differences in disposable, post-tax income at the top and bottom of society have returned to levels last seen in 1990.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poverty-levels-have-grown-under-labour-104362.html

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 27, 2020, 07:17:25 AM
Locally a charity has been providing hot meals for 400 children who get free school meals on weekends and school holidays for several years, the problem is not new.

No, since the 1400's I'm guessing.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 26, 2020, 08:23:05 PM
What is the logistics for issuing meals during the holidays?

Locally a charity has been providing hot meals for 400 children who get free school meals on weekends and school holidays for several years, the problem is not new.

Nick

The former Labour deputy leader thinks the government "might have to concede" on free meals for children in school holidays.

What is the logistics for issuing meals during the holidays? The parents that are most likely to not provide for their children due to incorrect family choices are the ones most likely to misappropriate extra funds provided.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 26, 2020, 03:09:33 PM
Yes:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-34595319
No.
He weaselled and said he was sorry for the relatives who obviously loved their family member.
Watson didn't apologise for his part in the witch hunt against a senior Tory in an arena which guaranteed his own immunity from defamation and slander when spreading lies...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on October 26, 2020, 02:44:25 PM
Yes they might,just thinking did Tom ever concede or apologise to the family of Leon Brittan or others when he was playing at being a Joe McCarthy?

Yes:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-34595319

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GBNews