I am a bit shocked by the anti-French feelings running riot

Started by Sheepy, October 30, 2020, 11:54:36 AM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: patman post on October 30, 2020, 12:24:51 PM
While the unconstrained speeches and tweeting by populist leaders and their followers continues in the supposed civilised West, should we be surprised at the unconstrained pronouncements by those whose morals are also guided by myth, legend, and the pursuit of personal power...?

It's an old quote, but it's a good one -
"People have been murdered over cartoons. End of moral analysis."
Sam Harris.

The implication of self affliction ("supposed civilised West") is not one that sits well with me.
Don't believe everything you think.

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on October 30, 2020, 05:07:09 PM
Not as far as I am aware, but I'm neither a Muslim or a Jew and can only go on what I see commented on and reported.
Why not Google...?
Seem a bit extreme does it Toots, it sure sounds a bit extreme. Macron thinking he has something in common with the electorate maybe could be the root of it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2020, 04:24:01 PM
I am not convinced. Have things changed in  the last few years?
Not as far as I am aware, but I'm neither a Muslim or a Jew and can only go on what I see commented on and reported.
Why not Google...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on October 30, 2020, 04:12:03 PM
Then you can rest easy. Basically both Sharia and Jewish courts are for arbitration over civil disputes and both sides must agree to be heard and bound by the outcome — as is the case in any binding arbitration — and the parties must be of the relevant religion..
Where the findings involve the law in the UK — such as divorce — they need ratifying by local legal procedures.

As was once endorsed by Lord Denning: Be ye never so high, the law is above you...

I am not convinced. Have things changed in  the last few years?

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2020, 03:50:23 PMWhat I do feel very strongly is that those of whatever faith should have the same laws applied. Eg there should be no Sharia or Jewish courts or laws that supersede the laws of the land. Just as we expect to obey the laws of other countries when we are there so we should have the same expectation here.
Then you can rest easy. Basically both Sharia and Jewish courts are for arbitration over civil disputes and both sides must agree to be heard and bound by the outcome — as is the case in any binding arbitration — and the parties must be of the relevant religion..
Where the findings involve the law in the UK — such as divorce — they need ratifying by local legal procedures.

As was once endorsed by Lord Denning: Be ye never so high, the law is above you...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2020, 01:54:16 PM
What's that got to do with keeping Britain a Christian country and constitution? Are you not in favour of that?
Or would you rather have the problems that France is having, being forcefully/violently told that they cannot have freedom of speech?

I don't think it is a black and white question. No pun intended. Surely it's not a question of Christian or not, it's more a question of extremism. If we talk only of Islam my understanding is that the faith in it's pure form is loving and forgiving. It is how clerics translate the meanings which is the problem and as is true of many faiths it is misconstrued to suit the wishes for power or greed. Like anyone I would like to see those who are radicalised as it is now called, dealt with fittingly. Even more, those who radicalise should be dealt with, but as Christians we must recognise that all are children of the same God. Otherwise surely we are being hypocritical?

What I do feel very strongly is that those of whatever faith should have the same laws applied. Eg there should be no Sharia or Jewish courts or laws that supersede the laws of the land. Just as we expect to obey the laws of other countries when we are there so we should have the same expectation here.

patman post

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2020, 01:54:16 PM
What's that got to do with keeping Britain a Christian country and constitution? Are you not in favour of that?
Or would you rather have the problems that France is having, being forcefully/violently told that they cannot have freedom of speech?
Are we sure France is suffering/has suffered more Islamist-inspired violence than the UK?
And what makes the UK much better than (different from) countries like Iran when it has a state religion and allocates seats to clerics as of right in its legislative body...?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2020, 01:13:49 PMI think that in the UK, a Christian country, that faith should take precedence.
In France, their religion should take precedence, and that is secularism

He is just trying to get a reaction Barry.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2020, 01:47:59 PM
Really? I thought as Christians we believe that all are equal before God (until He decides otherwise).
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2020, 01:30:09 PM
Give extra points to people who wish to enter Britain under immigration regs, if they are Christians. It'll never happen because of the current fashion to be ultra PC, but it might help to redress the balance.

Really? I thought as Christians we believe that all are equal before God (until He decides otherwise).

Sheepy

Funny old world ain't it, I was only thinking out loud the other day and when the chips are down, well it is nothing to do with us guv. It must be the populists.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Give extra points to people who wish to enter Britain under immigration regs, if they are Christians. It'll never happen because of the current fashion to be ultra PC, but it might help to redress the balance.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2020, 01:13:49 PM
I think that in the UK, a Christian country, that faith should take precedence.
In France, their religion should take precedence, and that is secularism.
So if the cause of these conflicts is religion, how does it get resolved in the UK — turn the other cheek or an eye for an eye...?

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on October 30, 2020, 01:11:54 PM
Pat is doing her poor oppressed ethnic act  and as such supports the fashionable fascism of Mahathir Mohamad.

Neither of them count.
Not a question of oppression or fashionable support. Just a question of why it's thought reasonable to keep poking a wasp nest and expect not to get stung...

Barry

I think that in the UK, a Christian country, that faith should take precedence.
In France, their religion should take precedence, and that is secularism.
† The end is nigh †