So what are you guys doing on bonfire night?

Started by Borchester, November 05, 2020, 01:06:59 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Don't tell anyone Borchester but around here they were having bonfire and fireworks parties celebrating the nearly big bang under Parliament.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on November 06, 2020, 11:17:30 AM
If Pappy saw the bright side of life Toots he would complain about the cost of electricity and try to turn it off.  :)

Anyway, I got shot of most of my timber and then had to come home because the smoke had started my asthma. But fortunately a lot of my neighbours are East Europeans and like to see a few fireworks and so they settled in and filled in the gap until the next time their teams win or lose or when there is another wedding or whatever.
Oh but the cure is coming.
https://us.yahoo.com/news/magic-mushrooms-could-treat-long-182700692.html
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2020, 12:09:18 PM
You see? I wouldn't have known about that so that makes you a bright spark!
Having read it, my sick side definitely perked up. The club was named after a bloke who died in a german flame attack. So he definitely lit up the room then ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: patman post on November 05, 2020, 03:23:24 PM
We've bought a box of pretty ones which will be set off while the potatoes bake in the ashes of a hybrid bbq/bonfire (sausages and chicken will be started in the oven and finished outside).
We don't have a Guy or any hedgehogs hiding among the twigs.
No doubt a glass or two of Wray & Nephew will be used to keep the cold out, once the hazardous bits and pieces are out of the way — not a euphemism for the little princesses being tucked up in bed...
All went well. Even neighbours joined in across the fences and walls.
Very few fireworks from October onward this year. Some spectacular rockets with extremely loud bangs in nearby streets last night, though everything was over by 10pm.
Expecting a few more bangs around this weekend, but here's hoping it's then over until New Year celebrations get going...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2020, 11:59:13 AM
Most appear to be as dim as  Toc H lamp:-

https://wordhistories.net/2020/08/05/dim-toc-h-lamp/

You see? I wouldn't have known about that so that makes you a bright spark!

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2020, 11:43:05 AM
I assure you that there are bright sparks in politics and even on this forum. Perhaps you should remove the shades.  8)

Most appear to be as dim as  Toc H lamp:-

https://wordhistories.net/2020/08/05/dim-toc-h-lamp/

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2020, 11:20:48 AM
I do see the bright side of life, however this is a politics forum.

I assure you that there are bright sparks in politics and even on this forum. Perhaps you should remove the shades.  8)

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 06, 2020, 11:17:30 AM
If Pappy saw the bright side of life Toots

I do see the bright side of life, however this is a politics forum.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 05, 2020, 02:42:44 PM
We know that, can't you ever see a joke? Isn't life miserable enough without us having a chance to giggle? No-one would be daft enough to set light to a gas cylinder not even Borchester. Please try to see a bright side of life sometimes.

If Pappy saw the bright side of life Toots he would complain about the cost of electricity and try to turn it off.  :)

Anyway, I got shot of most of my timber and then had to come home because the smoke had started my asthma. But fortunately a lot of my neighbours are East Europeans and like to see a few fireworks and so they settled in and filled in the gap until the next time their teams win or lose or when there is another wedding or whatever.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on November 06, 2020, 10:37:57 AM

And why do we still celebrate an attempt to blow up parliament?

I agree it didn't succeed so there is nothing to celebrate.

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on November 06, 2020, 10:37:57 AM
I did nothing special on bonfire night, the same as I do every year.

We used to have fireworks and sometimes a bonfire when I was a child. As a dad we did fireworks one or two years but other times we went to public displays.

Nowadays there seems to be a 'Guy Fawkes Fortnight' each year and fireworks have got out of hand.

If I want to watch fireworks on bonfire night I just need to go up to one of our bedrooms and watch. No need to participate in any other way.

I'll take the last point first.

I celebrate the fact that one man actually died for his belief that those entering the palace of Westminster are duty bound to carry out the mandate upon which they entered.

I would also point to the fact that despite westminster stating they have no truck with terrorists,we now have a Stourmont Assembly and a Welsh Shit Pit. Both feature people who prominently espoused violence as a means to achieve a political goal and have been proven right.

As to the rest, I concur. In past years we have taken the opportunity to drink some cheap beer and enjoy a BBQ at the rugby club up the road whose efforts for the village there exceed tenfold the shambles that the round table attempts became

And the last council operated display I went to ended in fatalities because the tests did not secure prompt access for emergency vehicles and a mortar bomb got blown into the stand opposite ours ...

Last year we drove to a well known spot of high ground where locals had gathered to organise a community led communal thing. I handed over a box of rockets to an off duty fireman I know from the street, and left him to sort it.

I might do the same next year if the RFC are not selling cheap beer again.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

I did nothing special on bonfire night, the same as I do every year.

We used to have fireworks and sometimes a bonfire when I was a child. As a dad we did fireworks one or two years but other times we went to public displays.

Nowadays there seems to be a 'Guy Fawkes Fortnight' each year and fireworks have got out of hand.

If I want to watch fireworks on bonfire night I just need to go up to one of our bedrooms and watch. No need to participate in any other way.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Well just got in from work to find the Mrs has drunk all the vodka and given my last 6 cans to her workmates (shes working from home and had the girls round  ??? )

I wouldn't mind normally as it would just give me an excuse , not that I need one , to go out and restock via the pub . So  fireworks , never seen the sense in them myself . We used to go as kids to the display in Crystal Palace park , that was alright ,taking the piss out of Mum and auntie going oooow , arhhhh .......awwww  at the pyrotechnics but as I say Ive never understood what the feck they were all about .
Dad did a few home displays which confirmed my view , Catherine wheels that didnt turn , roman candles that were about as exciting as turning on the gas cooker and as for sparklers just feck right  off . I had more fun being in charge of the firework tin than actually looking at them

Bonfires ,Ok just burn all your crap tonight and spare us  for the rest of the year , i know you wont but its a thought .

Anyway Im off down the road for some cans .Ill return ,draw the curtains and turn up the footy on the telly and hopefully nod off and miss anything that might happen . The best thing about tonight is that tomorrow's Friday .

What was that ? .......Oh , looks like Im getting the Fish supper while Im out so thats what Im doing .  Fishand chips , a few cans and the footy

patman post

We've bought a box of pretty ones which will be set off while the potatoes bake in the ashes of a hybrid bbq/bonfire (sausages and chicken will be started in the oven and finished outside).
We don't have a Guy or any hedgehogs hiding among the twigs.
No doubt a glass or two of Wray & Nephew will be used to keep the cold out, once the hazardous bits and pieces are out of the way — not a euphemism for the little princesses being tucked up in bed...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 05, 2020, 02:42:44 PM
We know that, can't you ever see a joke? Isn't life miserable enough without us having a chance to giggle? No-one would be daft enough to set light to a gas cylinder not even Borchester. Please try to see a bright side of life sometimes.

But people are stupid enough to set fire to gas cylinders. Darwin  awards, or permanent scarring are fairly common.