Downing Street woes

Started by Barry, November 11, 2020, 09:50:44 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 12, 2021, 12:45:07 PM
The Tories did not get a majority of the electorate vote for them, and come the ever increasing disaster that is Brexit there number of votes will drop.
using the quote tags suggest anywhere on this forum where i said they did.?

I even pointed out to good old that the uk democracy is a sham , and he replied he accepts it as theres nothing better and its what we have.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2021, 12:41:48 PM
Still short of a majority.

i predict in two years time labour wont get above millibands ceiling in terms of seats of around 230 seats.

The Tories did not get a majority of the electorate vote for them, and come the ever increasing disaster that is Brexit there number of votes will drop.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 12, 2021, 12:35:13 PM
You have the internet the same as me, it has been widely reported on TV news and in the press as well:-
Live links at link:-
https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/uk-voting-intention-10th-december-2021/

Sat 11 Dec 2021

UK: Voting intention – 10th December 2021

Labour is now polling at 41% (+3) with the Conservatives at 32% (-4). The Lib Dems are on 9% with the Greens on 5%.
Boris Johnson has also seen a sharp decline in this approval rating, with 59% disapproving of the job he is doing (+11) and 24% approving (-7). This gives him a net score of -35, by far his worst ever net approval score. Keir Starmer has also taken the lead, for the first time since January, on the question of who would make the best Prime Minister. 29% think Starmer would be best (+2), with 22% thinking Johnson would be best (-7). 35% say neither, with 13% saying they don't know.
Excel tables can be found here and a report can be found here.
Still short of a majority.

i predict in two years time labour wont get above millibands ceiling in terms of seats of around 230 seats.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 12, 2021, 12:27:45 PM
link?
You have the internet the same as me, it has been widely reported on TV news and in the press as well:-
Live links at link:-
https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/uk-voting-intention-10th-december-2021/

Sat 11 Dec 2021

UK: Voting intention – 10th December 2021

Labour is now polling at 41% (+3) with the Conservatives at 32% (-4). The Lib Dems are on 9% with the Greens on 5%.
Boris Johnson has also seen a sharp decline in this approval rating, with 59% disapproving of the job he is doing (+11) and 24% approving (-7). This gives him a net score of -35, by far his worst ever net approval score. Keir Starmer has also taken the lead, for the first time since January, on the question of who would make the best Prime Minister. 29% think Starmer would be best (+2), with 22% thinking Johnson would be best (-7). 35% say neither, with 13% saying they don't know.
Excel tables can be found here and a report can be found here.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 12, 2021, 11:40:34 AM
Hopefully with a recent opinion poll 41% Labour 32% Tory. (I don't expect that to happen at the impending by-election though.)
link?

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on December 12, 2021, 11:47:05 AM
Yes, you are right. Boris is toast. He should have resigned last week. He'll get pushed next week.
Yes his christmas quiz featured "you are the weakest link......Goodbye"
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 12, 2021, 11:47:05 AM
Yes, you are right. Boris is toast. He should have resigned last week. He'll get pushed next week.
IF the Tories lose the by-election I suspect that is possible.

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on December 12, 2021, 11:18:44 AM

The "Boris is Boris" defence seems to have run its course.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on December 12, 2021, 11:18:44 AM

Hopefully with a recent opinion poll 41% Labour 32% Tory. (I don't expect that to happen at the impending by-election though.)

HDQQ

New trade deals were only ever going to be damage limitation exercises compared to what we had when we were in the EU. A few weeks ago the government announced a "fantastic" trade deal with Gambia (I think) - but when you dig a bit deeper, this happened just after the EU had done a better deal with that same country!

Re. Downing St. woes - who would have thought that a prime minister who had boolsheeted his way into No.10 and jeopardised the nation's future as collateral damage, had a close call with covid himself, mishandled the pandemic in some ways but had a rare success with the vaccination policy, survived the Dominic Cummings ordeal and other scandals, would be brought down in the polls by allegations about a Christmas quiz?

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 13, 2020, 01:55:37 PM
Fair enough.

I think Liz Truss is doing a good job, she seems to be getting the trade deals organised and ready.
Only if you believe the propaganda.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/12/08/brexit-trade-deals-failing-to-deliver-a-dividend-report-says/

Brexit Trade DealsFAILING TO DELIVER A DIVIDENDReport Says
David Hencke
8 December 2021

The UK's much-vaunted post-Brexit trade deals will only increase the country's GDP by a minuscule amount over the next 15 years, a report by the National Audit Office (NAO) reveals today. 
(https://www.nao.org.uk/report/progress-with-trade-negotiations/?slide=2)

The report, by the independent spending watchdog, examines all the deals agreed by the Government – largely by former International Trade Secretary Liz Truss – including the deals that replicate the agreements negotiated by the EU and three of the largest new deals covering Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
The new trade deal with Australia will only add between 0.01 and 0.02% to GDP and increase British exports by up to 0.03% by 2036, the report says. The deal is likely to increase GDP by between £200 million and £500 million.
The New Zealand deal is expected to have no impact on GDP at all, while increasing exports by just 0.1%. The Japanese deal is anticipated to have the greatest impact – increasing GDP by 0.07% – £1.5 billion – and exports by 0.6%.
The NAO also does not expect such a significant GDP boost from any prospective trade agreement with the United States, or by joining the 11-member Trans-Pacific Trade Partnership.
A deal with the US would likely boost GDP by between 0.07% and 0.16% – between £1.6 and £3.4 billion – and could increase UK exports by up to 1.3%.

HDQQ

The new word of the moment is "Borexit".

The only problem with Borexit is the danger of the Tory Party choosing an even worse person as Britain's replacement prime minister. I can think of two such people.

Today we hear revelations that discussions are going on in Tory circles about ousting Johnson as Labour takes the lead in opinion polls after the Christmas party scandals.
But it's not just about Johnson's popularity or otherwise, it's about other politicians' ambitions to move into No. 10.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on December 09, 2021, 10:55:35 AM
And baby number 2, a little girl, has arrived.
Boris helps increase world population.
Welcome to the little girl, they are always a cause for joy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59593510
Good for Boris and Carrie.

There is nothing about Bojo's private life I like, but he will do until someone better turns up.

And I like that line from the Daily Mail article..."n 2016, Miss Wyatt, whose late father, Lord Woodrow Wyatt, was one of Margaret Thatcher's confidants, also said that Mr Johnson had told her he was 'a bit of a loner' with few friends."

or in other words, you are the only one that understands me my love. Oh dear, the old lies work best :)

Algerie Francais !

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 09, 2021, 10:55:35 AM
And baby number 2, a little girl, has arrived.
Boris helps increase world population.
Welcome to the little girl, they are always a cause for joy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59593510
That is as far as we know is Boris baby number 7.