Who’s next?

Started by Nick, November 19, 2020, 07:38:32 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 22, 2020, 04:46:05 PMNobody else seems keen on leaving.

France will be off when Le Pen gets in, Macron is hated by everyone and has the lowest rating out of any president ever.
He has already admitted that France would vote leave if given the vote, which he won't. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/21/emmanuel-macron-uk-yes-no-brexit-vote-mistake

Greece would leave if they could afford the paper for people to vote on, Poland and Hungary will be pushed or jump.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 04:33:40 PM
What are we not getting?
I understand limited time years and some of the dairy stuff has been stripped out

Otherwise it's CETA.

On the plus side we get to keep the tariff preferences and just as importantly the cross cumulations with the EU to qualify for the tariff preferences

It's not a bad result by any means, just not any better than what we have right now.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 04:22:05 PM
Bit naff if it's supposed to mean something dramatic.

Means pretty much what it shows.

Brexit didn't cause a domino effect. Nobody else seems keen on leaving.

Nick

Nick

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 02:57:58 PMAn agreement with Canada done yesterday, on a Saturday Gerry. What does the EU know about working weekends? Nowt.
The deal concluded was to rollover most (but not all) of the EU CETA deal and then discuss a new deal in 2021.

Not a bad result considering but "yay, we have slightly less than we have now" isn't quite the big win it's been sold as.

As we know, commitments to agree to negotiate deals on the future don't always come to fruition...

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 22, 2020, 02:31:19 PMAlso I'd love to see how you thing 84% of global trade is done under WTO terms unless your counting FTA's recognised by the WTO which are actually outside the WTO trading terms and very misleading if that's what your doing.

@Barry already point out to you were making stuff up, now you're doing it again.

The only person in the whole of this thread to use the term WTO is you.

84% of world trade is not with the EU, it's more now the UK has left but I'll stick with that.

An agreement with Canada done yesterday, on a Saturday Gerry. What does the EU know about working weekends? Nowt.

Australia and New Zealand will be concluded soon along with a few others. We're doing just fine Gerry, stop worrying about us and start worrying about what Ireland is going to do when the EU becomes defunct.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 10:44:23 AM
Don't cooperate? Do you think they have 84% of the worlds trade just by chance?
What trade block are you talking about Nick, because the WTO is the bottom of the bucket when it comes to trade. Thats the place you go when yu don't have a FTA and it's the last place you want to be. That's why there is only 1 country in the world that trades under WTO only. Not really a great aspiration.

Also I'd love to see how you thing 84% of global trade is done under WTO terms unless your counting FTA's recognised by the WTO which are actually outside the WTO trading terms and very misleading if that's what your doing.

patman post

Science, technology and clinical research are particularly strong areas of UK-Canada trade. Other opportunities exist in a wide range of sectors — from oil and chemicals to engineering and media services.

Not to be sneezed at...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 10:44:23 AM

Indeed and one of them ,Canada , have just agreed  to continue trading with the UK under the EU free trade arrangements until we can find a better one thats suits OUR economies better .

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/21/uk-and-canada-to-trade-on-eu-terms-after-brexit-transition

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 22, 2020, 10:21:12 AM
What sort of block though, one that doesn't cooperate ?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 21, 2020, 12:10:41 AM
Seems there will be at least one less mouth to feed very very soon. Another country cast adrift, destined to be part of a block 6 times bigger than the EU.
What sort of block though, one that doesn't cooperate ?

Sheepy

When I read the question, I thought you meant who is next for the chop amongst the Government, who might have inadvertently said they were determined to represent why people had voted for them. No,no that just wouldn't do. Could bring about people thinking their votes actually count for something.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

The list is a long one . Many members have parties with an anti EU stance at the top of the agenda as the main opposition  . Some as mentioned have them as elected representatives that are trying to force change but seem reluctant to cut ties .

Hungry and Poland are this months top of the list , Austria were making strong Eurosceptic noises a couple of years back and  Im sure Greece would leave given a referendum .
The big one though is France . I think maybe they are one  maybe two elections  away from Le Penn ,that's when the fun will begin