Joe Biden speaks out on Brexit – saying “we’ve just got to keep the border open”

Started by Dynamis, November 25, 2020, 07:53:40 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Joe has also said that his priorities are women' rights, racial equality and climate change. So next time you look down a colleen's dress and ask if her suntan is natural or the result of global warming, you can always say that you are just trying to start a political debate.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Nick on November 25, 2020, 01:29:20 PM
They also funded the IRA via Boston.
If by "They" you mean the USA, I suggest you're mistaken.
There were collections for various Irish causes that eventually purchased Armorlites and Semtex, in Australia, NZ, Canada, the US and the UK...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Barry on November 25, 2020, 01:50:16 PM
Not John Hume and David Trimble, helped on by John Major and Tony Blair, Mo Mowlam, even the vile Gerry Adams, then?

You are obviously referring to this:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-mitchell-principles-1.50976
Important though they were, history will probably regard them and everyone involved as needing the impetus of an honest broker...

PS—could this be the way forward for Brexit...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on November 25, 2020, 09:05:08 AM
He has every right. The usa helped broker the peace settlement in the GFA. you could say without them it would never have happened. I'm sure other countries support this opinion also but just aren't as vocal.
Not John Hume and David Trimble, helped on by John Major and Tony Blair, Mo Mowlam, even the vile Gerry Adams, then?

You are obviously referring to this:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-mitchell-principles-1.50976
† The end is nigh †

Nick

He has every right. The usa helped broker the peace settlement in the GFA. you could say without them it would never have happened. I'm sure other countries support this opinion also but just aren't as vocal.

They also funded the IRA via Boston.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Dynamis on November 25, 2020, 11:25:53 AM
He's stated fairly openly that he's got huge issues with Bojo. He's stated clearly on many occasions his close links with Irl.

Are you suggesting that Ireland should just allow the border to remain open in the event of no deal, WTO terms? You are aware if there's a huge non-convergence of taxes, regulations etc between our countries that someone will profit handsomely from smuggling large amounts of things, probably both ways. That has been suggested by HMRC themselves.
I am not suggesting anything the EU pen pushers are, which you kindly pointed out. they have been given the options several times, it is easily sorted with technology.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Sheepy on November 25, 2020, 11:05:03 AM
Of course, I can, he has said other things as well, like this not the time to stab his allies in the back, who let's say have always shown certain members of his new government respect for their past efforts around the globe. Where credit was due. Or maybe his Ivy league government has realised they are not the only option at the table, which they were told they wouldn't be. Politics Dyno, you have to deal with all sorts of differing people with differing idealism.

He's stated fairly openly that he's got huge issues with Bojo. He's stated clearly on many occasions his close links with Irl.

Are you suggesting that Ireland should just allow the border to remain open in the event of no deal, WTO terms? You are aware if there's a huge non-convergence of taxes, regulations etc between our countries that someone will profit handsomely from smuggling large amounts of things, probably both ways. That has been suggested by HMRC themselves.
+++

Sheepy

Quote from: Dynamis on November 25, 2020, 10:49:49 AM
You can think that if you want, but I doubt it given the way he's specifically called us out multi times recently, and reiterated how much he likes the EU and got his sec of state pick to give a lecture about the EU in fluent French. All this among other things of course.
Of course, I can, he has said other things as well, like this not the time to stab his allies in the back, who let's say have always shown certain members of his new government respect for their past efforts around the globe. Where credit was due. Or maybe his Ivy league government has realised they are not the only option at the table, which they were told they wouldn't be. Politics Dyno, you have to deal with all sorts of differing people with differing idealism.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Sheepy on November 25, 2020, 10:40:23 AM
So how do you know he is talking to the UK when we have said all along, we don't need a border with the south, or ever intended one, he might be speaking to the EU indirectly, who have suddenly realised only them comprising will get a deal, after all they were the ones who said they would put a border up, not the UK. Which our Irish friend has spent months trying to spin it was the UK who said it. It wasn't.

You can think that if you want, but I doubt it given the way he's specifically called us out multi times recently, and reiterated how much he likes the EU and got his sec of state pick to give a lecture about the EU in fluent French. All this among other things of course.
+++

Sampanviking

Easiest solution is to put the customs border in the Atlantic between Mainland Europe and the Republic of Ireland.

Sheepy

So how do you know he is talking to the UK when we have said all along, we don't need a border with the south, or ever intended one, he might be speaking to the EU indirectly, who have suddenly realised only them comprising will get a deal, after all they were the ones who said they would put a border up, not the UK. Which our Irish friend has spent months trying to spin it was the UK who said it. It wasn't.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on November 25, 2020, 09:43:26 AM
It's personal. He has his roots in Ireland and in typical USA tradition sees it as justification for meddling.

They are fairly unbelievable at times, like half of them who supported the tea party movement and switched to Trump..they bang on about all this libertarian 'non interference' stuff and talk about respecting sovereignty.. talk about all the other stuff - then as soon as Iran, or NK, or anyone sleights America - whether it's real or perceived - they go absolutely nuts and talk of nukes, invasions, blockades etc.

And the 'tolerant liberals' are exactly the same. You prod below the surface and half of them are nuts about bringing the hammer down on any country they have some
(relatively) minor issue with..

It's mandatory to wind up my yank pals by posting things like this from time to time, just to give them a good pointy finger in the ribs -

+++

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on November 25, 2020, 09:23:14 AM
No he doesn't. Clinton did that, not him or the people around him.

And the difference is night & day. I know you're not stupid so don't pretend as if this isn't the case.

It's personal. He has his roots in Ireland and in typical USA tradition sees it as justification for meddling.

Borg Refinery

No he doesn't. Clinton did that, not him or the people around him.

And the difference is night & day. I know you're not stupid so don't pretend as if this isn't the case.
+++

GerryT

Quote from: Dynamis on November 25, 2020, 07:53:40 AM
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/joe-biden-speaks-out-on-brexit-saying-weve-just-got-to-keep-the-border-open-in-ireland/25/11/

He doesn't have any right to get involved but has done so anyway in usual yank style.

I can just see Boris spraining an ankle to bend over fast enough to accommodate Uncle Joe here.