Fixed Term

Started by Nick, December 02, 2020, 10:44:40 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on December 03, 2020, 04:51:02 PM
Doesn't government have a moral duty too?

Possibly, but it also has a duty not to waste its breath. I've gone into the specifics several times, in short Blair abused his Prime Ministerial Perogative to remove, without proper debate, not only the punishment of death, but also the ability to restore it to the statute books.

Many see this as an act to save his own neck from a future stretching...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on May 13, 2021, 12:03:10 AM
Just been watching Peston,the progressive alliance ? Lib dims,Lab,greens etc believe  if they cooperate they can oust the tories at the next election.....and of course reverse brexit.

Them cooperating though is a tall order.

How? They will have to overturn a majority of 80. Whether you like it or not Boris has presided over one of the best jab rollouts anywhere in the world and we are coming out the other side whilst the rest of Europe is struggling. He also got Brexit done, he's got things done.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on December 04, 2020, 01:59:41 PM
Nope. Her family are but she ain't. I suspect that she is smart enough to realise that fashionable as the Remainers are, they are going to be out of power at least until young Wilf is off to Uni
Just been watching Peston,the progressive alliance ? Lib dims,Lab,greens etc believe  if they cooperate they can oust the tories at the next election.....and of course reverse brexit.

Them cooperating though is a tall order.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2020, 01:38:39 PM
I heard that she was a remainer but perhaps not. Corbyn and his cronies (15) went through the no lobbies the other night.

Nope. Her family are but she ain't. I suspect that she is smart enough to realise that fashionable as the Remainers are, they are going to be out of power at least until young Wilf is off to Uni
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2020, 01:50:21 PM
Perhaps they are daft enough to make Corbyn leader!

I think they might give that to Wrong Daily.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on December 04, 2020, 01:42:14 PM
If they don't start a new party I will be very surprised.

Perhaps they are daft enough to make Corbyn leader!

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2020, 01:38:39 PM
I heard that she was a remainer but perhaps not. Corbyn and his cronies (15) went through the no lobbies the other night.

If they don't start a new party I will be very surprised.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on December 04, 2020, 01:36:35 PM
Carrie Symonds seems to be doing a good job of running the government but even so, we need some sort of opposition to keep her on her toes. And the Lib Dems haven't grown up yet so I suppose the brothers and sisters will have to do, although it has to be said they are making a piss poor job of things.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on December 04, 2020, 08:16:33 AM

What exactly is the point in labour?

Carrie Symonds seems to be doing a good job of running the government but even so, we need some sort of opposition to keep her on her toes. And the Lib Dems haven't grown up yet so I suppose the brothers and sisters will have to do, although it has to be said they are making a piss poor job of things.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: patman post on December 03, 2020, 05:18:19 PM
Isn't complaining, then waiting for the next election effectively what the UK usually does...?

You can't include the complaining done by the losers, Remainers are going to be complaining for years about the result. Even when we are better off and have deals with everyone, they'll still complain.

The spotty herberts are complaining that Corbyn has gone, the rest of the left are just complaining about everything and us on the right have never seen a bigger shambles on the other side of the fence. It's great.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 03, 2020, 11:09:38 PM

Well, yes, the lib Dems said as much before 2010.

The problem comes when opposition's have no stomach to become government's. That's what we are dealing with here.

Exactly john. Starmer is too consumed with the serious internal divisions within labour ( that he is fanning the fames of) and being in terror of the media to be an effective opposition leader.

What exactly is the point in labour?

i mean even their few supporters are too afraid to come online and defend them.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 03, 2020, 05:06:42 PM
I'll bite.

You vote in the government based on their manifesto promises. If they don't deliver you get to choose again at the next GE.
I accept this could lead to a decade of failed promises but answer me this. Have you ever been served a Big Mac that looks like the one on the overhead board? NO is the answer, did you ever take it back?

I have

The replacement was just as shite so I demanded and got a refund. Then I went and got a great British burger from the ship down the road
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on December 03, 2020, 01:34:22 PM
Oppositions are supposed to be wilful

Well, yes, the lib Dems said as much before 2010.

The problem comes when opposition's have no stomach to become government's. That's what we are dealing with here.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 03, 2020, 05:18:19 PM
Isn't complaining, then waiting for the next election effectively what the UK usually does...?

If there is a country left to govern by then.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: Nick on December 03, 2020, 05:06:42 PM
I'll bite.

You vote in the government based on their manifesto promises. If they don't deliver you get to choose again at the next GE.
I accept this could lead to a decade of failed promises but answer me this. Have you ever been served a Big Mac that looks like the one on the overhead board? NO is the answer, did you ever take it back?

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...