Macron v UK + EU

Started by T00ts, December 04, 2020, 02:24:56 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2020, 02:24:56 PM
Apparently Macron is standing up on his little hind- legs and complaining loud and long about the pending agreement. He can't face up to his fishermen which is hardly surprising since he tends to be all talk anyway. I am waiting for his summons from Merkel who  will no doubt polish his ego while persuading him - for the sake of the union - to back down. It has happened before and will happen again. With true Gallic overstatement he feels he has equal say and has spent most of his presidency bent over and kissing Merkel's hand if not her cheeks, in the hope that if he plays his obedient role with enough charm she will let him have his way at some point. He badly misreads the situation. Nothing is as important as the 'success' make that economic/political German success, of the EU.

Ironic you talk of "standing up to the fishermen" when we are flirting with major economic damage for an industrial sector worth a fraction of a %.

However, there is lots of grandstanding going on (witness the UK sources talking of "going backwards") and undoubtedly the French are far from immune to this.

It does remain the case though that France could very well veto any agreement and leave the UK with "no deal"/"Australia minus deal" on 1 Jan.

Of course we have been told that this outcome is optimum for the UK and any FTA would purely be a pity FTA to help out our distraught European partners who we leave pining for our enormous car and cheese market ki may be being a tad sarcastic).

So what are leavers worrying about? Let the chips fall where they may. Global Britain* will prosper right?

*Some import restrictions apply

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2020, 02:24:56 PM
Apparently Macron is standing up on his little hind- legs and complaining loud and long about the pending agreement. He can't face up to his fishermen which is hardly surprising since he tends to be all talk anyway. I am waiting for his summons from Merkel who  will no doubt polish his ego while persuading him - for the sake of the union - to back down. It has happened before and will happen again. With true Gallic overstatement he feels he has equal say and has spent most of his presidency bent over and kissing Merkel's hand if not her cheeks, in the hope that if he plays his obedient role with enough charm she will let him have his way at some point. He badly misreads the situation. Nothing is as important as the 'success' make that economic/political German success, of the EU.
A French poodle eh toots, nasty little buggers, always have a chip on their shoulder. best way, look them up and down and walk on.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts