Main Menu

Children V CV-19

Started by Nick, December 08, 2020, 11:48:45 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 11, 2020, 04:33:54 PM
Have to admit, I don't regularly follow Iran's media...

Neither do I but sometimes I need a laugh.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 03:25:28 PM
My experience is unless someone British is killed it barely gets a mention, even Iran's news does better than that.
Have to admit, I don't regularly follow Iran's media...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on December 11, 2020, 03:35:21 PM
In an effort to give an alternative view - last time we tried to maintain most of the world we were accused of colonialism.
If by "maintain" you mean acted like a cross between pirates and modern day gang-masters, are you really surprised...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

In an effort to give an alternative view - last time we tried to maintain most of the world we were accused of colonialism.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 11, 2020, 02:30:33 PM
So you're a believer in the: Fog In Channel, Continent Cut Off, mythical headline?

My experience of regularly following the main Asian, European, and North American news and business media is that the UK media generally has better international coverage...

My experience is unless someone British is killed it barely gets a mention, even Iran's news does better than that.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 02:01:04 PM
When it comes to British news coverage, in general term unless some British people have carked it in a foreign land it does not get reported.
So you're a believer in the: Fog In Channel, Continent Cut Off, mythical headline?

My experience of regularly following the main Asian, European, and North American news and business media is that the UK media generally has better international coverage...

papasmurf

When it comes to British news coverage, in general term unless some British people have carked it in a foreign land it does not get reported.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on December 09, 2020, 11:19:25 PM
They attract less coverage because it's not white western people dying. I'd love to know how many people could have been supplied with clean water infrastructure with the money spent on CV-19 in the last 9 months.
That's a point of view I might be expected to be attracted to if it were not for the amount of attention given to the greater susceptibility of people of African and Indian subcontinent heritages by both the news media and, more importantly, the authorities...

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on December 09, 2020, 11:19:25 PM
They attract less coverage because it's not white western people dying. I'd love to know how many people could have been supplied with clean water infrastructure with the money spent on CV-19 in the last 9 months.

They attract less coverage because third world problems have been around for a long time while covid-19 has swept around the world within the last year.

The level of threat also plays a part. Western people, whether white or black, face little or no threat from starvation or diseases from associated with third-world poverty, whereas they do face a real threat from covid-19.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: patman post on December 09, 2020, 01:41:24 PM
Around the same number are killed on the world's roads each year** — but as they (like dirty water and poverty) are also the result of everyday human activity/inactivity, most of the world pays little attention. It's left to individuals, governments, and international organisations to battle against humanity's failings. Some — like pandemics — attract news coverage. The majority don't...

**  https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/global-road-safety/index.html#:~:text=%20%20%201%20Each%20year%2C%201.35%20million,the%20world%20economy%20approximately%20%241.8%20trillion...%20More%20

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Bullshit the world is full of dell boy get rich quick schemes including Nigerian princes, for some reason they are rife just now.
What about all the so-called corporate charities, who always take the lions share, stop feeding us your charitable bullshit. A lot things you might be charitable you ain't.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: Nick on December 08, 2020, 11:48:45 PM
Seconds out........

And it's the children by a knockout.

Nearly two million children in Africa each year die from a lack of clean drinking water yet WE deem CV-19 a pandemic at 1.5 million. The covid number will fall every year but not so the poor children in Africa.

How do you feel about that? I'm not going to mention the millions more that die through poverty related circumstances that way outstrip covid.
Around the same number are killed on the world's roads each year** — but as they (like dirty water and poverty) are also the result of everyday human activity/inactivity, most of the world pays little attention. It's left to individuals, governments, and international organisations to battle against humanity's failings. Some — like pandemics — attract news coverage. The majority don't...

**  https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/global-road-safety/index.html#:~:text=%20%20%201%20Each%20year%2C%201.35%20million,the%20world%20economy%20approximately%20%241.8%20trillion...%20More%20

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 08, 2020, 11:48:45 PM
Seconds out........

Nearly two million children in Africa each year die from a lack of clean drinking water yet WE deem CV-19 a pandemic at 1.5 million. The covid number will fall every year but not so the poor children in Africa.

How do you feel about that? I'm not going to mention the millions more that die through poverty related circumstances that way outstrip covid.

I donate to Water Aid:-
https://www.wateraid.org/uk/

Nick

Seconds out........

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.