100 million quid wasted

Started by Barry, November 10, 2019, 12:26:07 PM

« previous - next »

Ciaphas

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=5246 time=1573414707 user_id=53
Well it doesn't look like we will ever find out does it ?   We still haven't seen ANY deal on the table that sees the UK leave the EU  with any decent cards to play in future negotiations .

That's because such a deal doesn't exist but the continued denial of this reality is partly to blame for the current mess.

Even now Mr Johnson is peddling the lie that leaving the UK will somehow give us the opportunity to be greater than we currently are when all indications point to the complete opposite.

Sheepy

Or in other words politicians were lying from day one,on behalf of the EU's false utopia.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Oh so you reckon the last three and a half years of trying to remain have been positive,I would say the EU having had their nose put out of joint,broke their word threw the dummies out(literally) and laid the groundwork for an almighty battle that will last years longer yet.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=5219 time=1573410901 user_id=75
Other leavers but lets not pretend that Brexit was ever going to have a positive outcome for the UK regardless of the actions of those who blocked the government in an attempt to achieve their own brand of Brexit.

Well it doesn't look like we will ever find out does it ?   We still haven't seen ANY deal on the table that sees the UK leave the EU  with any decent cards to play in future negotiations .

Ciaphas

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=5175 time=1573399612 user_id=53
We haven't left yet  so the only cost involved has been by those who stalled it .  :kikass:  :kikass:99

Other leavers but lets not pretend that Brexit was ever going to have a positive outcome for the UK regardless of the actions of those who blocked the government in an attempt to achieve their own brand of Brexit.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=5168 time=1573396104 user_id=75
Brexit has cost this country billions, ruined our international standing and caused significant damage to relations with our most important allies in Europe.

At any other time pouring £100m down the drain might have mattered but when considered against the bigger piicture it's just a footnote in the Brexit debacle.

Further if throwing away £100m bothers you the cost of actually leaving the EU will give you palpatations.

They call it a market correction, where the market believes a business is great and clever and run by the experienced and knowledgeable, only to find out it was all an illusion. The propaganda this country issues to foreigners was all of that kind, glossing over the cracks and telling all and sundry how great we are. Then it is like exam time. The House of Commons has to do a bit of work and a bit of thinking, only this exam is live on television. What would you expect?
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Borg Refinery

If it's any consolation, I've often criticised Brit Remainers too, I do think they are pretty out of order.

I mean most of them don't even know what the different presidents of the EU do, or how it works, and are willing to dive into undemocratic philandering just like Bloris, yes it stinks..

I don't agree with that - like I said elsewhere, there are no fair or good solutions anymore that can democratically honour the vote; whatever happens, the solution is anti-democratic.
+++

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=5157 time=1573392286 user_id=54
I don't believe it was just posturing. We might be confident that the EU would bargain but absolutely certain? Nothing would convince us so. I would agree that the whole 'negotiation' was badly mishandled on so many fronts from day one but there had to be a crunch - and Oct 31st was the first after so many jelly babies.

Waste of money? No it was part of our negotiating position - sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is.

I'd like to think so, T00ts, but I get a bit more cynical about politics by the day. I still think this election is just a part of the can kicking which will eventually lead to us remaining in the EU. I hope that is not the case, but just show me the evidence that we are about to leave, there isn't any.

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=5175 time=1573399612 user_id=53
We haven't left yet  so the only cost involved has been by those who stalled it .  :kikass:  :kikass:

Good point. But who really wanted to leave? There wasn't a cat in hell's chance of leaving on 31st October with that bunch of obfuscaters and prevaricators in the commons. Will it be any different on December 13th?

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=5170 time=1573396219 user_id=98
But it woz wot they wanted remember...democratically the equivalent to punching yourself in the face.

I know you are being flippant, but it was indeed what "they" wanted, democratically the equivalent of being given a choice about the way this country interacts with the EU.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Brexit has cost this country billions, ruined our international standing and caused significant damage to relations with our most important allies in Europe.

At any other time pouring £100m down the drain might have mattered but when considered against the bigger piicture it's just a footnote in the Brexit debacle.

Further if throwing away £100m bothers you the cost of actually leaving the EU will give you palpatations.

I very much doubt it,next.

Streetwalker

We haven't left yet  so the only cost involved has been by those who stalled it .  :kikass:  :kikass:

Borg Refinery

But it woz wot they wanted remember...democratically the equivalent to punching yourself in the face.
+++

Ciaphas

T00ts

I don't believe it was just posturing. We might be confident that the EU would bargain but absolutely certain? Nothing would convince us so. I would agree that the whole 'negotiation' was badly mishandled on so many fronts from day one but there had to be a crunch - and Oct 31st was the first after so many jelly babies.

Waste of money? No it was part of our negotiating position - sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is.

Barry

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/28/government-pauses-100000000-brexit-ad-campaign-leave-eu-october-31-11001101/">//https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/28/government-pauses-100000000-brexit-ad-campaign-leave-eu-october-31-11001101/

Every time I saw the motorway matrices displaying "Get ready for Brexit on 31st October" I used to wonder how?

We didn't know whether we were leaving with or without a deal.

The whole spending was government posturing, which they would justify by saying that had they done nothing they would have been criticised.

People were being asked to make preparations without knowing what course they could take.

It was an absolute waste of our money to posture no deal in the face of Barnier, et al.
† The end is nigh †