Buying British?

Started by T00ts, December 13, 2020, 12:14:47 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Went to Boots today, Mrs B wanted a Denman hair brush - £8.50
Boots had a similar one of their "own make" £6.

Denman made in UK.
Boots made in - you got it - China.

I advised buying British and she did. I'm prepared to pay to support Britain.
I remember "I'm backing Britain"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Backing_Britain

...and I'm happy to do it again.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on December 13, 2020, 12:14:47 PM
I think it was in Thatcher's time that we had a 'Buy British' campaign. No doubt someone will correct me if I have that wrong but is that what we seriously need now?

No. We bought foreign produce because UK stuff was shit on price or quality. Continuing to buy UK produce simply encouraged UK manufacturers to continue producing over priced and badly made shit.

The UK consumer should be encouraged to buy the best products at the best price from wherever possible and any UK manufacturer who complains should be smacked in the mouth with a Chinese made cricket bat
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 13, 2020, 12:14:47 PM
I think it was in Thatcher's time that we had a 'Buy British' campaign. No doubt someone will correct me if I have that wrong but is that what we seriously need now?

I usually buy local stuff if I possibly can, particularly food, but how many of us will now look for UK products from cars to carpets?

Other than food there is very little British left to buy. I have to resort to Wun Hung Lo's Fork Handles/Four Candles emporium somewhere in the wilds of China. (Forty days delivery by pack donkey,) or Gunga Din's repurposing workshop on the North West Frontier also 40 days delivery by pack donkey.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on December 13, 2020, 06:38:48 PM
Fruit and Veg: British if I can.
Car: German
TV: Korean
Wine: French / Italian.

I'll happily replace any of the EU stuff for alternatives. As per my challenge to the Remainers a million times, there is nothing that cannot be replaced from outside of the EU.

never ever in my feckin life will i but another german car if i can help it. Specifically a feckin volkswagon.

heaps of feckin shite.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nick

Quote from: Baff on December 13, 2020, 12:24:53 PM
Food and drink yes. Almost exclusively.
Cars, probably not. Although Jaguar is a maybe.

Carpets?
I have no idea where my carpets are made at all.

Buying a new gun from America.
Probably buy a new VR set from America too.
Also my tobacco products.

Car parts came from Japan.

I don't exclusively buy British.
Except when it comes to food and then do I look for British produce.
I might go as far as extending this policy to cars in the future. But no promises.

I didn't buy a British made TV recently. I went with Korean.
British made was a serious consideration, but only a favtor in my eventual decision.

Fruit and Veg: British if I can.
Car: German
TV: Korean
Wine: French / Italian.

I'll happily replace any of the EU stuff for alternatives. As per my challenge to the Remainers a million times, there is nothing that cannot be replaced from outside of the EU.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Teapots, tea cosies, slippers, boxers, doormats, teaspoons, all the important stuff basically. Oh and teaspoons.. don't forget that. And vimto.
+++

Baff

Food and drink yes. Almost exclusively.
Cars, probably not. Although Jaguar is a maybe.

Carpets?
I have no idea where my carpets are made at all.

Buying a new gun from America.
Probably buy a new VR set from America too.
Also my tobacco products.

Car parts came from Japan.

I don't exclusively buy British.
Except when it comes to food and then do I look for British produce.
I might go as far as extending this policy to cars in the future. But no promises.

I didn't buy a British made TV recently. I went with Korean.
British made was a serious consideration, but only a favtor in my eventual decision.

T00ts

I usually buy local stuff if I possibly can, particularly food, but how many of us will now look for UK products from cars to carpets?