French Commissioner Says We're Being Spited Over Brexit

Started by Dynamis, December 22, 2020, 08:30:42 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on December 22, 2020, 10:26:09 AM
Hang on a min, france is a independent country, it can open or close its borders at any moment. The EU is not a country. It only has compedence in very limited and specific ways as agreed by all its 27 members.
Nobody wants this new strain, as vaccines are rolling out and the end light in sight, this new version could cripple countries.

If you think this is bad wait until theres customs checks and delays in January, it will be worse than this. The UK charging off a cliff, not looking for a long extension so they could have a smooth brexot is totally on the UK.
France owes the UK nothing, its 1 country, as brexiteers would say or Nick wod say, 85% of global trade is outside the EU, whats the problem then.
And that line sums it all up for you.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on December 22, 2020, 10:23:30 AM
All about you? You flatter yourself.

Anyway as far as making it all about posters you then need to refrain from sheep baiting,where merseyside and Cheshire lie and all the other things you do and know you do that you call fun.

Well, I'm a guitarist who knows at least 4 chords so have an ego so yuge it has its own solar system, everything is about me even when it's not.  :P

Well I admit to skim reading it ll as it was all very childish, and not particularly funny. So maybe you're right, either way who cares?

Posting "are we still winning" gets me warned about a potential banned, so no point taking any of it srsly, really. ;)  :-* :P Merry xmas btw

+++

GerryT

Quote from: Dynamis on December 22, 2020, 10:09:38 AM
Anyway, ignoring all the primary school

We can conclude that this will continue indefinitely until one side or another makes reassurances.

It doesn't matter at this point about who can stare without blinking for longer - this country will completely fail unless we get the ports reopened and stuff going through France. Like it or lump it.

At the same time, the French are in the wrong to 'press' this button regardless of how much of a **** spittleflecked dog of a govt we have, the average person in the UK doesn't deserve to be punished with Macron's famous arrogance and petulance and xenophobic rubbish. I don't agree with the escalation on either side, and reassurances have to be made.. gunboats in the channel and nothing moving esp. after Brexit, if they play silly buggers yet again, will be a disaster.

I hate what the EU is becoming with Macron, Ursula taking leading voices recently.

They really better not do this to us again after Brexit, or that will prove to me that the EU has become the very thing it feared; a spiteful inward looking provincial attitude bloc...
Hang on a min, france is a independent country, it can open or close its borders at any moment. The EU is not a country. It only has compedence in very limited and specific ways as agreed by all its 27 members.
Nobody wants this new strain, as vaccines are rolling out and the end light in sight, this new version could cripple countries.

If you think this is bad wait until theres customs checks and delays in January, it will be worse than this. The UK charging off a cliff, not looking for a long extension so they could have a smooth brexot is totally on the UK.
France owes the UK nothing, its 1 country, as brexiteers would say or Nick wod say, 85% of global trade is outside the EU, whats the problem then.

cromwell

Quote from: Dynamis on December 22, 2020, 09:44:59 AM
One poster asking me why I hate the UK and one asking why I love the UK and am sticking two fingers up at the EU.

And here I thought I was making an observation about events as they stand.

Edit: And a further two.. one about slitting sheep's throat  :P :P :P :P and one about me being French and hopefully.. I forgot the rest.

The high standards of debate here are being further improved to day. Now all we need is Javert to accuse me of being a daily telegraph reader... not that this story is about me at all. And I have no idea why folks are making it about posters rather than the content.
All about you? You flatter yourself.

Anyway as far as making it all about posters you then need to refrain from sheep baiting,where merseyside and Cheshire lie and all the other things you do and know you do that you call fun.

T00ts

Of course we must remember that they are blocking their own. Many drivers are EU ones who will get very annoyed and will not shy away from making their feeling known. The French have locked off the border and are apparently looking for testing before they allow these truckers in but if they are not resident here anyway how can they refuse them entry?

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 22, 2020, 09:40:21 AM
Ah, a self loathing thread for those who disagree with democracy to get off on belittling and mocking their own country.

I don't belittle my country, but I do despair at the current crop of totally useless politicians.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Anyway, ignoring all the primary school

We can conclude that this will continue indefinitely until one side or another makes reassurances.

It doesn't matter at this point about who can stare without blinking for longer - this country will completely fail unless we get the ports reopened and stuff going through France. Like it or lump it.

At the same time, the French are in the wrong to 'press' this button regardless of how much of a **** spittleflecked dog of a govt we have, the average person in the UK doesn't deserve to be punished with Macron's famous arrogance and petulance and xenophobic rubbish. I don't agree with the escalation on either side, and reassurances have to be made.. gunboats in the channel and nothing moving esp. after Brexit, if they play silly buggers yet again, will be a disaster.

I hate what the EU is becoming with Macron, Ursula taking leading voices recently.

They really better not do this to us again after Brexit, or that will prove to me that the EU has become the very thing it feared; a spiteful inward looking provincial attitude bloc...

+++

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on December 22, 2020, 09:42:08 AMI think it's just the French being........well French!

I just find it irritating that a person who has by his own admission so throughly availed himself of the opportunities offered by this country, never misses an opportunity to sneer at it.  I wish he'd feck off to France and stay there.

Borg Refinery

One poster asking me why I hate the UK and one asking why I love the UK and am sticking two fingers up at the EU.

And here I thought I was making an observation about events as they stand.

Edit: And a further two.. one about slitting sheep's throat  :P :P :P :P and one about me being French and hopefully.. I forgot the rest.

The high standards of debate here are being further improved to day. Now all we need is Javert to accuse me of being a daily telegraph reader... not that this story is about me at all. And I have no idea why folks are making it about posters rather than the content.

+++

cromwell

Quote from: Dynamis on December 22, 2020, 08:30:42 AM
Brexit 'tragedy'

The talks in Brussels continued as Britain was effectively cut off from the world, after Prime Minister Boris Johnson said a highly contagious mutation of the coronavirus was spreading in the UK.

The emergency left holiday travellers stranded and blocked goods crossing the Channel, presaging the potential effects of a failure to secure a last-minute trade deal.

France's snap decision to halt trade across the Channel forced Britain to bring forward "Operation Stack", the contingency plan drawn up to deal with anticipated freight tailbacks in the port city of Dover in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

"It's a tragedy what's happening in Britain, and this Brexit is a tragedy, we see it more and more every day," France's EU commissioner Thierry Breton told BFM Business, when asked about the new outbreak.

If Britain "had chosen to remain in the European Union... today we could have helped them," Breton argued.

Brexit supporters accused France of exploiting the crisis to try and force trade concessions.

Restriction of freight movements "appears political," tweeted the anti-EU Bruges Group think tank.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/brexit-talks-flirt-with-failure-as-new-deadline-blown/

Well, this is what pettiness looks like when you threaten to send in the gunboats to tackle the French fishermen.

Expect things to devolve into ever greater petulance
If we hadn't chosen to leave ,is this some sort of joke.

Yeah ok dyno but you mention gunboats but omit to mention the number of times the french have acted illegally and in the most disgusting ways.

Remember them burning a truckload of sheep alive, still with your obsession with sheep how could you forget?
Stilthose they didn't burn they slit their throats.....we were members then and how we needed that help,recall 2015 and the lorry loads of fish from the Scottish highlands hijacked by Breton farmers and covered in diesel to make them inedible

Just a few of many occasions we were helped when members,oh how we will miss such kindness,still you highlight a determination to protect what happens within our territorial waters.

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 22, 2020, 09:40:21 AM
Ah, a self loathing thread for those who disagree with democracy to get off on belittling and mocking their own country.

;D ;D ;D ;D I think it's just the French being........well French!

DeppityDawg

patman post

So having left at the end of 2019, the UK should still expect to avail itself of all the benefits of membership...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Brexit 'tragedy'

The talks in Brussels continued as Britain was effectively cut off from the world, after Prime Minister Boris Johnson said a highly contagious mutation of the coronavirus was spreading in the UK.

The emergency left holiday travellers stranded and blocked goods crossing the Channel, presaging the potential effects of a failure to secure a last-minute trade deal.

France's snap decision to halt trade across the Channel forced Britain to bring forward "Operation Stack", the contingency plan drawn up to deal with anticipated freight tailbacks in the port city of Dover in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

"It's a tragedy what's happening in Britain, and this Brexit is a tragedy, we see it more and more every day," France's EU commissioner Thierry Breton told BFM Business, when asked about the new outbreak.

If Britain "had chosen to remain in the European Union... today we could have helped them," Breton argued.

Brexit supporters accused France of exploiting the crisis to try and force trade concessions.

Restriction of freight movements "appears political," tweeted the anti-EU Bruges Group think tank.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/brexit-talks-flirt-with-failure-as-new-deadline-blown/

Well, this is what pettiness looks like when you threaten to send in the gunboats to tackle the French fishermen.

Expect things to devolve into ever greater petulance
+++