Nightingale Hospital Dismantled

Started by T00ts, December 29, 2020, 11:30:47 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Established on 1 April 2018 as a limited company wholly owned by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 29, 2020, 04:51:08 PMSupply Chain Coordination Limited
Quote from: patman post on December 29, 2020, 04:51:08 PM
The NHS Supply Chain's management company, Supply Chain Coordination Limited, was set up for "the management and  co-ordination  of  NHS  supply  chain  services,  including  procurement,  logistics,  e-Commerce, reporting, analysis, quality control, communications, payments, supplier management, emergency response  and  consultancy  services  for  the  provision  of  everyday  hospital  consumables,  clinical products, home-care and capital equipment and associated services and supplies".

It failed to maintain the stockpile in a state of readiness...

If you care to check, it actually did bugger all, I also suggest checking who owns it. The stench of corruption yet again.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on December 29, 2020, 11:58:18 AM
Of the 120,000 odd patients in hospital, about 20,000 are covid+. (Same as in April)
In April 3234 patients were on mechanical ventilation.
That number is now 1412.
The ICUs are busy but not overwhelmed.
I'm still trying to figure out why more covid+ patients are not needing to be ventilated.
As it was the ventilation that was initially a worry, the Nightingales are superfluous.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

All I can suggest is the experience of my mate Raz who got hit with this pox a week after me and needed hospitalisation. Basically they seemed to him to know what they were doing with the nebulising oxygen system. This contrasts starkly with the first of Moira's MOJ colleagues taken down during a tribunal. They had NO bloody idea what to do with her and she ended up being ventilated for almost a month....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry on December 29, 2020, 11:58:18 AMOf the 120,000 odd patients in hospital, about 20,000 are covid+. (Same as in April)
That number is now 1412.
I'm still trying to figure out why more covid+ patients are not needing to be ventilated.
As it was the ventilation that was initially a worry, the Nightingales are superfluous.
I believe the recommended path of therapy has changed.

They intervene earlier with CPAP and O2 and move to ventilate at later stage.

Plus we have better options for drugs etc.

I expect and hope the death rate (ref hospitalisations) will be better this time around as we have got better at treating it.

Of course there is still the issue that these therapies still require hospital beds and staff sonic we exceed the capacity we are still in trouble.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2020, 04:12:56 PM
It wasn't discontinued, it was never started. When the Tories came to power in May 2010 they ignored a report commissioned by the Labour government which was published after the Tories got into government.  The Tories then ignored  three reports they had commissioned.
The NHS Supply Chain's management company, Supply Chain Coordination Limited, was set up for "the management and  co-ordination  of  NHS  supply  chain  services,  including  procurement,  logistics,  e-Commerce, reporting, analysis, quality control, communications, payments, supplier management, emergency response  and  consultancy  services  for  the  provision  of  everyday  hospital  consumables,  clinical products, home-care and capital equipment and associated services and supplies".

It failed to maintain the stockpile in a state of readiness...

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on December 29, 2020, 04:05:00 PM
Wasn't that the reason given some years ago when stockpiling and updating PPE (maintained for just such a pandemic) was discontinued?

Slow initial response leading to panic reaction at least showed the country's military could act effectively in a civilian role — as they are likely to do with testing and vaccination once government stops dithering...

I don't know but I do suspect had there been a serious need for those Nightingale beds, the staff would all have been in military uniform.

As I said they were there too meet a worst case scenario demand for oxygen therapy at the minimal end of hospital intervention, which remains by far the most common need.  The briefest of glances at the figures for those "in serious condition" shows the numbers in need of such treatment

I suppose it was better to have them rather than have people on oxygen bottles in ambulances, but funnily enough that is EXACTLY what happened at the Grange last week. Not enough staff and queues in the car park. Just as we had in the Royal.Gwentband Abergavenny's A&E before the Grange was built.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 29, 2020, 04:05:00 PM
Wasn't that the reason given some years ago when stockpiling and updating PPE (maintained for just such a pandemic) was discontinued?

It wasn't discontinued, it was never started. When the Tories came to power in May 2010 they ignored a report commissioned by the Labour government which was published after the Tories got into government.  The Tories then ignored  three reports they had commissioned.

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 29, 2020, 12:58:03 PMA total waste of time and money

Slow initial response leading to panic reaction at least showed the country's military could act effectively in a civilian role — as they are likely to do with testing and vaccination once government stops dithering...

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on December 29, 2020, 11:30:47 AM
I see reports that the London Nightingale hospital at least is being quietly dismantled for lack of staff, yet here we are with numbers of hospital admissions apparently soaring.

How many of us were concerned right at the beginning that these were white elephants and more of a glory feature than a really practical answer to the growing virus threat? I have stood by the Conservative Government throughout, after all is there anyone guaranteed to do a better job? Anyone would have struggled. However I feel that once we are out of the woods there needs to be an accounting of the knee jerk mistakes that were made. Cash poured into organisations/projects with no reasonable experience, others with experience side-lined and ignored, an evident lack of joined up thinking amid the struggle between science and politics. A lot needs to be analysed because this will happen again and we need to be confident that procedures are made to handle the next pestilence.

The Nightingale hospitals were only ever going to be used by those in need of oxygen or nebulised oxygen /  steroid treatment to aid respiration. They had no ICU facilities.

My friend Raz who caught the bug a week after me found himself in need of such therapy. He was taken to the brand spanking new Grange Hospital when he found himself having breathing problems over and above the shortness of breath I myself had

He was first put on nasal oxygen, ant then put on a nebuliser with oxygen, dethamexasone and another drug for several days.

This is exactly what Jennifer was put on about three years ago when some ass hole who is now in jail failed to declare the peanuts in the Chinese meal Jennifer ordered.

The Welsh nightingale hospital at the millennium stadium treated exactly zero patients before it was quietly dismantled

The prize arse who declared there would be thousands dead in the gutter whose predictions drove the waste of all that money is now head of some non government sponsored doom merchants and naysayers.

They were never needed, had barely any staff, and admitted maybe a handful.

A total waste of time and money

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 29, 2020, 11:58:18 AM
Of the 120,000 odd patients in hospital, about 20,000 are covid+. (Same as in April)
That number is now 1412.

As per usual Barry, I am puzzled by your comments, even more so in the light of this:-

More at link, plus data:-

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-nhs-boss-sir-simon-stevens-issues-warning-as-hospital-admissions-top-first-peak-12174570

COVID: NHS boss Sir Simon Stevens issues warning as hospital admissions top first peak
Sir Simon Stevens says NHS staff are anxious, frustrated and tired as the service comes under extreme pressure.

Barry

That number is now 1412.

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2020, 11:41:22 AM
Lack of staff was always going to make them white elephants.

The reason it was a white elephants was because at its height there was 36 patients in a facility designed for thousands. It was also cost £4 million a month to rent off the owners.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Lack of staff was always going to make them white elephants.

T00ts

I see reports that the London Nightingale hospital at least is being quietly dismantled for lack of staff, yet here we are with numbers of hospital admissions apparently soaring.

How many of us were concerned right at the beginning that these were white elephants and more of a glory feature than a really practical answer to the growing virus threat? I have stood by the Conservative Government throughout, after all is there anyone guaranteed to do a better job? Anyone would have struggled. However I feel that once we are out of the woods there needs to be an accounting of the knee jerk mistakes that were made. Cash poured into organisations/projects with no reasonable experience, others with experience side-lined and ignored, an evident lack of joined up thinking amid the struggle between science and politics. A lot needs to be analysed because this will happen again and we need to be confident that procedures are made to handle the next pestilence.