Will we revert to lbs/oz and Fahrenheit?

Started by T00ts, January 02, 2021, 03:19:09 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on January 02, 2021, 04:06:38 PM
Would you guys prefer a pint? Or does that still exist?
In a pub that never changed, but in supermarkets they are 500ml bottles, which are lacking 68ml.
Half a litre of your best bitter barman, doesn't have the same ring.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

I was at school in the 60's and I was totally taught in SI units. Whenever I measure anything, it is in metric and this matter has little to do with Europe or the EU.
However it does make sense to use one system, for instance, I always used to work out my car's fuel consumption in Miles per gallon. However, when I lived abroad I got used to litres per 100km.
Now I'm back in the UK I am back to miles per gallon, but the pump delivers in litres.
Delivering petrol in gallons would be lovely, but I doubt it will happen.
My personally devised Excel spreadsheet does all the arithmetic for me when I buy fuel for the car.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Would you guys prefer a pint? Or does that still exist?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 02, 2021, 03:25:25 PM
Oh for the delights of rods, poles, perches, chains and furlongs, of a baker's dozen and a guinea. And to a return to 240 pennies in the pound !

And how big a cup ? To look at the size of most yanks I presume 42GG at least ....

It is a very confusing subject:-

https://www.evasintimates.com/blog/bra-size-charts-conversions/
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

I doubt very much Imperial measurements and Fahrenheit will be reverted to, because its would mess up exports.
There have also been some VERY spectacular and expensive cockups, using both systems.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 02, 2021, 03:25:25 PM
Oh for the delights of rods, poles, perches, chains and furlongs, of a baker's dozen and a guinea. And to a return to 240 pennies in the pound !

And how big a cup ? To look at the size of most yanks I presume 42GG at least ....

Now don't let's be silly! A cup in USA is a standard size - something like 4oz of flour.  Anyway I remember some real anger when we were forced into Kilos etc, it just seems a good moment to become...well more English... as opposed to a county of the EU.

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

I just noticed that the Daily Fail is recording the predicted low temperature tonight in degrees F. Is this the first movement back? Will we be able to measure in lbs and oz again although as much as anything cake making measures are in cups a la USA.