EU firms refuse UK deliveries over Brexit tax changes

Started by papasmurf, January 04, 2021, 08:49:38 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on January 05, 2021, 12:33:20 PM
It's UK VAT not EU VAT that's been charged. The UK can remove VAT and go back to what it used to charge "purchase tax" pre joining the EEC, is it so important to you that it's called by a different name. It's the same thing. Don't get too hung up over it, most every country in the world charges VAT, it's not forced on them by the EU. Maybe your upset because it wasn't a UK invention.
BULLSHIT
Purchase Tax - which I am old enough to remember - was something that NO business dealing with other businesses ever had to worry about, unlike VAT whose tentacles have invaded all levels of life business and personal
Purchase Tax was levied by retailers of "luxury" goods who had to collect it and pass it back to the revenue men.

NOBODY else had to get involved.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 05, 2021, 09:31:52 AM
There are plenty of British made cycles and people just need to get into the mindset of buying British .  Im sure the Dutch  bikes are decent but we dont need them so its no loss .
The company is Dutch Bike Bits. It supplies parts. There are cycle parts suppliers in the UK. They supply similar products to the Netherlands company. Unsurprisingly, these parts, including Brooks England saddles, are also sourced from around the world:

Thanks to Brexit, British bicyclists' bottoms will have longer than usual to wait for moulded comfort because Brooks England—which makes handcrafted leather bicycle saddles that require riders to "break" them in—has halted direct-to-consumer sales in the U.K.
"Ongoing changes in the Brexit situation have made it necessary to temporarily suspend all new orders to the UK," says a statement on the Brooks England website.
"We appreciate your patience while we analyse this situation," continues the statement, "and plan the proper administrative steps moving forward."
Brooks England was founded in 1866 and has been producing bicycle saddles from its factory in Smethwick, West Midlands, since 1882. It has been owned by an Italian company since 2002 and the made-in-England saddles are shipped to Italy for worldwide distribution, including back into the U.K.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2021/01/02/brexit-halts-sales-of-brooks-bicycle-saddles-made-in-england/

Probably the best known British bike brand, Brompton, retails from nearly £1000 to nearly £3000. Even this comes with parts sourced from overseas...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 01:44:31 PM
The machines that produce carbon fibre for Airbus and Boing are made in the UK for a start. That's just off the top of my head, in reality there are thousands of machines for various things designed and built here.

But not much that the general public buys.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 05, 2021, 01:35:41 PM
But currently just what is made in Britain as opposed to assembled in Britain.

The machines that produce carbon fibre for Airbus and Boing are made in the UK for a start. That's just off the top of my head, in reality there are thousands of machines for various things designed and built here.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 01:12:27 PM

Do you get the picture? Don't try and do the UK down Gerry, you'll lose every time, the UK is on most websites cited as the most influential country in history.

But currently just what is made in Britain as opposed to assembled in Britain.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 05, 2021, 12:33:20 PMAgh yes the good old 3D printer that was invented in USA, a great GB innovation. How is it not a great UK innovation, just a GB one ?

When you get up in the morning Gerry and put the light on remember the bulb was invented by the UK, you go in the bathroom and brush your teeth, the toothbrush was invented by the UK.
Go downstairs and make a brew, the kettle was invented by the UK. Jump in the car to go to the airport, the tyres were patented by the UK. The Jet Engine powering your plane was invented by the UK.
The cash machine where you get your money was invented by the UK. The WWW your on now was invented by the UK.

Do you get the picture? Don't try and do the UK down Gerry, you'll lose every time, the UK is on most websites cited as the most influential country in history.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 05, 2021, 12:33:20 PM
It's UK VAT not EU VAT that's been charged. The UK can remove VAT and go back to what it used to charge "purchase tax" pre joining the EEC, is it so important to you that it's called by a different name. It's the same thing. Don't get too hung up over it, most every country in the world charges VAT, it's not forced on them by the EU. Maybe your upset because it wasn't a UK invention.
Agh yes the good old 3D printer that was invented in USA, a great GB innovation. How is it not a great UK innovation, just a GB one ?

The EU has been charging VAT and making UK businesses claim it back for years. I've had to do it through the HMRC Gateway and it takes 8 months to get it back, now the UK is doing something similar they cry like babies.

Your hypocrisy shows no bounds!

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 05, 2021, 11:33:58 AMAlso, why is the UK pissing about charging the European Hegemony's VAT ? We are no longer part of the shithole, we should go back to what we did in 1972.

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 05, 2021, 11:33:58 AMThis is the sort of innovation that made Britain Great.
Agh yes the good old 3D printer that was invented in USA, a great GB innovation. How is it not a great UK innovation, just a GB one ?

johnofgwent

There are plenty of British made cycles and people just need to get into the mindset of buying British .  Im sure the Dutch  bikes are decent but we dont need them so its no loss .
As I posted in the comments section of that bbc page, Dutch Who ?

Also, why is the UK pissing about charging the European Hegemony's VAT ? We are no longer part of the shithole, we should go back to what we did in 1972.
But now coming round to your point, I have a secondhand, originally chinese sourced, pedelec (electric pushbike, resembling a raleigh 20, which requires you to pedal the pedals to move, but delivers an electroc motor support when you do, up to 21mph)
It has been out of commision for years because a tiny plastic part in the rear hub is stuffed and the part is no longer made.
A market stall in a newly revamped market about five miles north of here offers 3-D printing of all manner of items and will be happy to scan and 3-d print me half a dozen of these items which they reckon they can do for about a tenner, in various materials.
This is the sort of innovation that made Britain Great. Given the secondhand value of the bike when i bought it was £500 I reckon it is well worth letting these guys have a go ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

That sort of goes against this new global UK.
In fairness the new VAT rules the UK has implemented will put off a lot of business selling into the UK, for a foreign business selling into the UK having to register for UK vat and collect and pay that to the UK revenue is a big enough undertaking. Most other countries on the globe has the imported charging VAT to customers and paying VAT at the point of entry, this being a zero sum game.
But I'm sure these companies will allow for customers to organise their own pick up, so the UK importer can look after the additional bureaucracy the UK is introducing.

papasmurf

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 05, 2021, 09:39:49 AM
Other than very expensive British made cycles what others are made in Britain?

You get what you pay for but I suppose Raleigh  would be comparable  to the Dutch bike

DeppityDawg

Quote from: patman post on January 04, 2021, 09:13:32 PM
Wait 'til you want to bring back a few cans of confit de canard, lapin au moutarde, foie gras, or some cheeses — will they be allowed to the UK with or without checking...?

I'm not sure whether this post is serious, even by your standards it's hard not to see it as deliberate parody. Are you mocking elitist, middle class liberal remainers on purpose? Does it not occur to you what an utter snob you come across as? Probably not, because it's closer to the truth that you are yet again just signalling how wealthy, successful and culturally superior you are.

You're beyond taking seriously most of the time, but if ever a comment summed up why so many people in the less well to do areas of the UK voted to leave the EU, this is it. While many people are concerned about real issues that affect their lives, like jobs, hospitals, schools and their home towns, Patman Post expresses his concern over being able to get foie gras. Feck sake how the rest of the posters on here can't see straight through you is worrying.