EU firms refuse UK deliveries over Brexit tax changes

Started by papasmurf, January 04, 2021, 08:49:38 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 11:00:16 PM
But you have to have a nanny state bring in a treaty to stop you blowing your neighbours to bits cause they're a different religion? And you never mentioned VAT! I wonder why?
Well the IRA had to come out of retirement to stop the Unionists backed by the UK Govt from killing all the Catholics, if that's what you mean.

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 11:00:16 PMBTW, I never mentioned the internet. I can also see how Whittle plagiarised Frenchy's "Jet Engine" 😂. It was a gas turbine with a cranking handle on the front. 😂
Your right www, and in fairness that has to be one of the greatest inventions/creations in modern time.
And yes your right the French did design and provide the first gas turbine, which would mix compressed air with a fuel and create thrust. The handle would start the process, just like the original car engines. Or are you suggesting a car engine with a crank handle wasn't actually an engine.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 06:47:39 PMEU member states don't charge VAT do they not? Strange how I have claimed it back from at least 10 different countries then. We don't all just do business in our own country Gerry, some of us get out there and experience the world, you should try it.

Nick, look at my reply 16 where I said
most every country in the world charges VAT

I said VAT was not an EU tax, each EU country, like nearly every other country in the world charges VAT.

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 06:47:39 PMThe Irish system Gerry? You just told me VAT is a UK tax, and you say I don't have a clue! As for paying out more than you receive Gerry, that means you're running your business at a loss, not a concept I am familiar with.
Nick nick nick. I said usually you would receive more than you would pay, in that case you would never be getting a VAT rebate, now would you ?
I also said the odd time you would pay more (purchasing a lot of product for manufacture for instance) which would have a time delay before invoice your customer, that's part of the whole cash flow thing, another days lesson for you I think. In these cases you will pay more than you receive and then you claim a VAT rebate at month end. Most all, bar some particular cases inter EU B2B transactions are done at zero rate of VAT, so if your claiming inter EU VAT its a very unusual type of business. Of course post Brexit you won't be able to claim any EU VAT charged.

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 06:47:39 PMBelow you will find a screen shot from the French Tax Authorities explaining that my "imaginary VAT claim" that I didn't make through the EU VAT refund scheme will have to be done differently from now onwards.
Also a list of all the imaginary VAT rates that EU member states don't charge as VAT is just a UK tax.
What that shows is the EU doesn't have a VAT rate, each member state has and can control it's vat rates within tolerances. Hopefully one day that will be harmonised.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 05, 2021, 10:47:35 PMEven the Irish invented some things, colour photography, the submarine, guided torpedo, Hypodermic Syringe, Induction coil and the tasty potato crisp ! we lived on them during the famine years don't you know.

But you have to have a nanny state bring in a treaty to stop you blowing your neighbours to bits cause they're a different religion? And you never mentioned VAT! I wonder why?

BTW, I never mentioned the internet. I can also see how Whittle plagiarised Frenchy's "Jet Engine" 😂. It was a gas turbine with a cranking handle on the front. 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 01:12:27 PM

When you get up in the morning Gerry and put the light on remember the bulb was invented by the UK, you go in the bathroom and brush your teeth, the toothbrush was invented by the UK.
Go downstairs and make a brew, the kettle was invented by the UK. Jump in the car to go to the airport, the tyres were patented by the UK. The Jet Engine powering your plane was invented by the UK.
The cash machine where you get your money was invented by the UK. The WWW your on now was invented by the UK.

Do you get the picture? Don't try and do the UK down Gerry, you'll lose every time, the UK is on most websites cited as the most influential country in history.
Light bulb: Yes a UK scientist figured it out but it was Edison that made it commercially viable and generally gets the credit.
Tooth Brush: Seems the Chinese were using chewing sticks 1600BC but later in the 15th century came up with a tooth brush made from pigs bristles and a bone or bamboo handle. Yes a UK guy made it commercial, bt you can't claim the light bulb and tooth brush for the reasons outlined.
Electric Kettle: First made by the carpenter electric company in 1891 in USA.
Car Tyre: Yes invented by a scot, John Dunlop. But he spent a lot of time in Ireland and sold the rights to the pneumatic tyre to a company he formed with the Irish Cyclist Association, Harvey Du Cross.
Internet: The USA Govt had a version up and running 29yrs before Berners-Lee decided to release his source code for free and the rest is history. It was a truly great invention though.
JetEngine: So the french man Maxime Guillaume that lodged a patent for the jet engine 9 yrs before the UK did. But that was only a French Patent so there were no restrictions on the UK 'inventing' it all over again.

We all know what the UK brought to the world and no doubt it was a great nation, so was Greece, Italy, Iraq etc...Whats the UK great innovation at the moment, assembling other countries cars or managing their money in a 'dodgey' way, or maybe making vacuum cleaners, in Malaysia ! The UK is not the only country in the world to invent something. Even the Irish invented some things, colour photography, the submarine, guided torpedo, Hypodermic Syringe, Induction coil and the tasty potato crisp ! we lived on them during the famine years don't you know.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on January 05, 2021, 06:26:09 PMHembrow

It is always nice to see a good man get a kick in the nuts and David Hembrow seems particularly deserving. That said, who buys cycle spares anyway? In my experience most folk buy their bikes in the spring, spend the summer looking stern and virtuous and then when it gets cold and wet in the winter, say sod this for a game of soldiers and chuck them on skips where tight buggers like me cannibalise them for such parts as we need.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 05, 2021, 05:59:28 PM
Nick, you haven't a clue. The EU doesn't charge VAT at all, VAT is a UK tax. In 2019 the UK collected over £130b in VAT receipts, but the net payment to the EU for EU membership was only about £8b.
If the UK removed VAT that would be about the full amount spent on the NHS, so you could just shut that down then...the evil EU VAT. For your info, EU charge is based on GDP not VAT.
If you were running a business you were obviously charging VAT, the Irish system you would offset the VAT you paid against the VAT you received and only pay the balance to Revenue. The only way you would be getting a refund is if you weren't issuing invoices and not collecting VAT. The odd month I have paid more VAT than received but that repayment would be sent in a matter of days.

What your complaining about is a UK tax and the failure of the UK revenue to refund you in time.

What the UK is doing is expecting companies in countries around the world to charge UK VAT and then give it to the UK revenue. I would wager a lot of foreign companies would charge the VAT but just keep it, how will the UK force them to hand it over, really idiot stuff from the UK.

EU member states don't charge VAT do they not? Strange how I have claimed it back from at least 10 different countries then. We don't all just do business in our own country Gerry, some of us get out there and experience the world, you should try it.

The Irish system Gerry? You just told me VAT is a UK tax, and you say I don't have a clue! As for paying out more than you receive Gerry, that means you're running your business at a loss, not a concept I am familiar with.

Below you will find a screen shot from the French Tax Authorities explaining that my "imaginary VAT claim" that I didn't make through the EU VAT refund scheme will have to be done differently from now onwards.
Also a list of all the imaginary VAT rates that EU member states don't charge as VAT is just a UK tax.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

From — https://www.dutchbikebits.com/shipping

Unfortunately, we will not be able to send parcels to the UK from mid December 2020 onward. Quite apart from uncertainty due to Brexit surrounding the shipping cost, taxation etc. after that time, there is also a problem caused by the British government deciding to impose a unique taxation regime which will require every company in the world in every country in the world outside the UK which exports to the UK to apply and collect British taxes on behalf of the British government. For providing this service they intend to charge a fee to every company in the world in every country in the world which exports to the UK. Clearly this is ludicrous for one country, but imagine if every country in the world had the same idea. If every country decided to behave in the same way then we would have to pay 195 fees every year, keep up with the changes in taxation law for 195 different countries, keep accounts on behalf of 195 different countries and submit payments to 195 tax offices in 195 different countries, and jump through whatever hoops were required to prove that we were doing all of this honestly and without any error.

Therefore from mid December 2020 onward we ship to every country in the world... except the UK.

We have many customers within the UK and would like to be able to trade with them. Not being able to send parcels to the UK does not work in any way in our favour and it is not what we wanted. We are forced by British policy to stop dealing with British customers. If you're angry about this, and you may well be so, please contact your elected representative in the UK.

Now some angry Brexiteers aren't satisfied with just sending angry comments to Dutch Bike Bits. They've also been leaving negative reviews. David Hembrow (Dutch Bike Bits owner and cycling blogger) posted on Twitter: "A BBC article this afternoon used our business as an example of one that is having difficulties sending products to the UK at the moment. This has resulted in lots of non-customers placing one star Google reviews to hurt us."

I'm trying hard to stifle mixed feelings. Hembrow is one of the cycling campaigners who have destroyed roads and streets and ruined quick easy transport for non-cycling Londoners around London...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2021, 12:58:31 PMThe EU has been charging VAT and making UK businesses claim it back for years. I've had to do it through the HMRC Gateway and it takes 8 months to get it back, now the UK is doing something similar they cry like babies.

Your hypocrisy shows no bounds!
Nick, you haven't a clue. The EU doesn't charge VAT at all, VAT is a UK tax. In 2019 the UK collected over £130b in VAT receipts, but the net payment to the EU for EU membership was only about £8b.
If the UK removed VAT that would be about the full amount spent on the NHS, so you could just shut that down then...the evil EU VAT. For your info, EU charge is based on GDP not VAT.
If you were running a business you were obviously charging VAT, the Irish system you would offset the VAT you paid against the VAT you received and only pay the balance to Revenue. The only way you would be getting a refund is if you weren't issuing invoices and not collecting VAT. The odd month I have paid more VAT than received but that repayment would be sent in a matter of days.

What your complaining about is a UK tax and the failure of the UK revenue to refund you in time.

What the UK is doing is expecting companies in countries around the world to charge UK VAT and then give it to the UK revenue. I would wager a lot of foreign companies would charge the VAT but just keep it, how will the UK force them to hand it over, really idiot stuff from the UK.

patman post

Italian subsidiaries are rumoured to have three sets of books — one for the parent company, one for the tax man, and one (under lock and key) that tells something perilously near the truth...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on January 05, 2021, 03:11:45 PM
Many Italian companies are extremely imaginative when it comes to their bookkeeping reflecting what actually happens in their marketing...

A few years ago I lost a few bob on BT shares. It was something I could have done without, but the blow was somewhat softened by BT's explaination, which was that its Italian subsidiary had been robbing the parent company blind for years. Italy is the land of song and sunshine and creative accounting. The idea that the dim money men in the City had not twigged that still brings a wry smile to my wrinkled chops, although it has yet to refill the hole in my pocket.
:)
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 05, 2021, 03:11:49 PM
Nice Try Gerry
The innovation of which I spoke, which made GB Great, is the thinking process that says "I can acquire the means to make stuff here to keep perfectly serviceable consumer items going, even though the foreign twats who made them in the first place have decided to try to force the customer to buy an updated model"
You will find most companies that are in the business of making a product will also supply spares for x number of yrs after which they will offer a replacement product. It's not their business to make one off parts. Do you honestly think UK manufacturers are any different. Or are we back in the 1950's when everything was made to last 100 yrs.

As for 3D printing, it's the sort of thing you can do inside or outside the EU, you didn't need brexit to be that 'innovative'. But 10 pound is a great price for any printing,are they doing 3D scanning or preparing a 3D drawing.

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on January 05, 2021, 12:33:20 PM
Agh yes the good old 3D printer that was invented in USA, a great GB innovation. How is it not a great UK innovation, just a GB one ?
Nice Try Gerry
The innovation of which I spoke, which made GB Great, is the thinking process that says "I can acquire the means to make stuff here to keep perfectly serviceable consumer items going, even though the foreign twats who made them in the first place have decided to try to force the customer to buy an updated model"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Many Italian companies are extremely imaginative when it comes to their bookkeeping reflecting what actually happens in their marketing...

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on January 05, 2021, 02:51:45 PM
The company is Dutch Bike Bits. It supplies parts. There are cycle parts suppliers in the UK. They supply similar products to the Netherlands company. Unsurprisingly, these parts, including Brooks England saddles, are also sourced from around the world:

Thanks to Brexit, British bicyclists' bottoms will have longer than usual to wait for moulded comfort because Brooks England—which makes handcrafted leather bicycle saddles that require riders to "break" them in—has halted direct-to-consumer sales in the U.K.
"Ongoing changes in the Brexit situation have made it necessary to temporarily suspend all new orders to the UK," says a statement on the Brooks England website.
"We appreciate your patience while we analyse this situation," continues the statement, "and plan the proper administrative steps moving forward."
Brooks England was founded in 1866 and has been producing bicycle saddles from its factory in Smethwick, West Midlands, since 1882. It has been owned by an Italian company since 2002 and the made-in-England saddles are shipped to Italy for worldwide distribution, including back into the U.K.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2021/01/02/brexit-halts-sales-of-brooks-bicycle-saddles-made-in-england/

Probably the best known British bike brand, Brompton, retails from nearly £1000 to nearly £3000. Even this comes with parts sourced from overseas...
Well this sounds like a splended time to stop wastefully shipping all the product thousands of miles to italy only to have it shipped back, and start NOT shipping some of it out of the UK.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Unlike VAT, Purchase Tax was applied at the point of manufacture and distribution, before the point of sale...