DFDS Seaways commence Rosslare-Dunkerque service

Started by johnofgwent, January 05, 2021, 02:50:15 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Baff on January 20, 2021, 12:57:51 AM
The Irish are unintended victims in this.
Ultimately you are a soveriegn nation. Your own responsibility.
We have been happy to make mitigations towards you to make this easier for you, but you have responded by throwing all these friendly overtures back in our faces and treating us with your usual hostility.

Friends like you we don't need.
Never wished harm on Ireland or its people but given Gerrys attitude on here if I believed his barely concealed hate was representative of the majority then I really wouldn't give a toss how they fared.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2021, 11:28:46 PM
I wouldn't wish harm on anyone, without very good reason. In your case the UK leaving the EU, is reason enough to screw over the Irish, I doubt many support that view.
The Irish are unintended victims in this.
Ultimately you are a soveriegn nation. Your own responsibility.
We have been happy to make mitigations towards you to make this easier for you, but you have responded by throwing all these friendly overtures back in our faces and treating us with your usual hostility.

Friends like you we don't need.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 06, 2021, 11:09:40 PMAs long as it screws you lot over I'll be happy.
Especially that arsehole Michael O'Leary.
I wouldn't wish harm on anyone, without very good reason. In your case the UK leaving the EU, is reason enough to screw over the Irish, I doubt many support that view.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2021, 10:57:17 PM
That's one point but its not anymore.
Another point is its a lot harder to do business with UK, the new global Britain.

As long as it screws you lot over I'll be happy.
Especially that arsehole Michael O'Leary.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 06, 2021, 06:37:01 AMGood.
The point is, until four days ago, it was cheaper and easier to pollute the welsh countryside and english motorway network than use them
I wonder what Greta the Shithead has to say ....
That's one point but its not anymore.
Another point is its a lot harder to do business with UK, the new global Britain.

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2021, 12:22:11 AM
There's loads of ferry routes out of Ireland to the mainland. The DFDS is new and opens a new port for IRL to ship to.
Dunkirk
Zeebrugge - Gothenburg
Santander (starting this yr)
Rotterdam
Cherbourg
Roscoff
Porto

These are serviced by 13 ports in Ireland and 3 in NI. (obviously not all linked to each other)
Good.
The point is, until four days ago, it was cheaper and easier to pollute the welsh countryside and english motorway network than use them
I wonder what Greta the Shithead has to say ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on January 05, 2021, 03:55:04 PM
Brittany Ferries run a Bilbao (Spain) to Rosslare route.
https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/article/71676/Bilbao-to-Rosslare
There's loads of ferry routes out of Ireland to the mainland. The DFDS is new and opens a new port for IRL to ship to.
Dunkirk
Zeebrugge - Gothenburg
Santander (starting this yr)
Rotterdam
Cherbourg
Roscoff
Porto

These are serviced by 13 ports in Ireland and 3 in NI. (obviously not all linked to each other)

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

It is good, also the driver has zero miles under his belt when he arrives so doesn't have to lay up like he did with the dover crossing. He can do the full 9 hrs when he lands in France.
As you say it helps to reduce the congestion on UK roads and ports, so brexit does have a win-win.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on January 05, 2021, 02:55:29 PM
I think it is excellent. They only have one sea crossing between two EU countries.
They are not clogging up our roads, whilst not paying road tax for the privilege.
What's not to like?
And you, like me, must be a major winner.

Those bloody lorries roll under the M4 J25 cutting all night and the noise is a pain in the arse for miles, and ruins my summertime sleep as we need the windows open to deal with the heat.
They would barrel on up the M4, around the M25 and all the way through Kent to the Channel Tunnel or Ferry Terminals.

And now they dont

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I think it is excellent. They only have one sea crossing between two EU countries.
They are not clogging up our roads, whilst not paying road tax for the privilege.
What's not to like?
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/brexit-truckers-arrive-fresh-and-well-fed-after-first-rosslare-dunkirk-sailing-1.4449238
This news item is all over arsebook with most stories being of the "f**k You Britain You'll Be Sorry You Brexited" variety.

I however feel we have much to celebrate
As a former semi frequent Channel Crosser in the past i would fight tooth and nail to get the car on the DFDS Seaways run to Dunkerque from Dover. It was less crowded, it took a bit longer and was a bit more expensive but the cost was being charged to the client and the extra time allowed me a decent meal off a proper plate with proper cutlery and a decent rest before launching to the client at the other end.
I particularly feel this announcement of a Rosslare-Dunkerque service providing truckers with a wholly-Schengen experience needs to receive a shitload of publicity and a wheelbarrowload of applause.
I have CYCLED the single carriageway road from Carmarthen to Red Roses and thence to Pendine. Every minute my life was put in peril by a 44 tonne truck that had been driven non-stop from Dover overtaking me with scant regard for my wellbeing, their sole interest being to exploit the FREE use of our motorway network to truck whatever they had across Britain from Dover to Fishguard.

The problem being the MOTORWAY network stopped half way between Swansea and Carmarthen, and the DUAL CARRIAGEWAYS ended a few miles after the turnoff to Laugharne.
NOW, HUNDREDS of lorries are driving onto a ship at Rosslare and their drivers are enjoying a restful sea voyage to Dunkerque.
HUNDREDS of lorries that would race up the two lane 'B' roads from Rosslare ro Carmarthen, choking the landscape with their diesel fumes, NO LONGER DO THAT.
HUNDREDS of lorries that would block the inside lane of the A483 and M4 for mile upon mile NO LONGER DO THAT
HUNDREDS of lorries whose fatigued drivers would run off the M4 at Chieveley and kill the car drivers they ploughed through NO LONGER DO THAT
And HUNDREDS of Lorries that would queue up at Dover are already on a ferry that isn't coming anywhere near this country
Honestly - what exactly is NOT to like about this WIN-WIN scenario that sees our roads safer, less crowded and a shotload less polluted