So they're now British fish and they're better and happier fish for it

Started by HDQQ, January 14, 2021, 07:48:18 PM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on January 14, 2021, 08:14:11 PM
Little laugh? 
Try telling that to the British Fishing industry a significant number of whom face bankruptcy within the next few days.
The issue was resolved on Monday, the expected date for this to happen.
Normal trade has resumed.

HDQQ

I seem to remember that fishermen were among the most ardent anti-EU campaigners, going back years to a time before UKIP even existed and when Bill Cash was the anti-EU poster boy.

So now they've got what they wanted, we've left the EU and they don't like it.  Be careful what you ask for, and all that!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on January 17, 2021, 06:08:54 PM
The fish that was caught and couldnt get customs clearance in time & was dumped along with the fish that was turned back from french ports because of poor condition or incomplere paperwork. The same fish that some fishermen in the uk were landing in europe.

Hint, people eat during lockdown, the same amount of food.

The protest has arrived in London, Shellfish lorries park near Downing Street as new rules cause severe delays at EU border

No rotting fish dumped, (yet.)

More at link:-

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-shellfish-lorries-park-near-downing-street-as-new-rules-cause-severe-delays-at-eu-border-12191385

Monday 18 January 2021 10:56, UK

Lorries used to transport British shellfish have parked on the roads near Downing Street after experiencing delays getting into the EU due to new Brexit rules.

At least 10 lorries were parked up, with one carrying the slogan "Brexit Carnage" as shellfish companies protested against severe delays transporting their produce to the EU following a change in rules.

Another said: "Incompetent Government Destroying Shellfish Industry!"

Police were asking the drivers for their details.

Over the past few days there has been a suggestion that drivers will dump their wasted stock outside Downing Street, but so far the lorries have remained closed.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 17, 2021, 06:08:54 PM

Is that what you think gerry?

That the french , even in lockdown , are sitting with a fresh piece of scottish fish all the way from the atlantic every night for tea and that big bad brexit has stopped that? :D

The french in my experience eat far more fish than the scottish or english , but for the average french family , most of it will be from a tin in the supermarket. They will carve up a baguette as a starter , put on thier cream chees spread or fish spread , and begin a meal that way.

Fresh fish isnt a staple in their diet , its a treat  like it is for us , especially more so with belts needing tightened due to covid and lockdowns. Aye gerry , the french are suffering economic hardship same as us.

A large proportion of fish from scotland goes to french restaurants. Restaurants were booming before covid , especially for younger french couples , and now restaurants are closed, demand is down , and now because of the 6 pm curfew , demand is being hit further.

The french dont normally have their tea till about 9pm , and while families still have to eat , everything is being restricted and cut back on.  Didnt you read my second link about the price of monkfish falling off a cliff as french restaurant demand had dried up?

Of course you did , but chose to ignore it as it didnt suit your bleating narrative.

Covid has stolen the wind from your sails  , and gerry is having a meltdown.

We wont be re joining the eu because of fish gerry. :) ::)

QuoteChange in international supply chains

COVID-19 response measures, such as restaurant closures and bans on travel, have curbed global fish demand. In addition to the collapse of the international fish market, local demand has dropped significantly due to the virus. For example, in China, the cancellation of lunar new year celebrations, which typically involves large seafood consumption, left local fisheries struggling.

https://www.borgenmagazine.com/how-covid-19-is-impacting-the-fishing-industry/

Its happening all over the world gerry , covid restrictions are hampering trade and demand for fish.

A quick google can fact check all your brexit remoaner lies.

its not just scottish and english fishermen suffering from covid either...

Impact of Covid-19 on Mediterranean fisheries
© Carlo Gianferro

In recent weeks, the fishers we work with have shared with us that the sudden closure of restaurants, markets and the reduction in exports have led to an unprecedented drop in the demand for fresh seafood. Prices have plummeted and many small-scale fishers are forced to stay in harbor. A health crisis which will soon become a socio-economic crisis.

https://www.wwfmmi.org/what_we_do/fisheries/transforming_small_scale_fisheries/impact_of_covid_on_mediterranean_fisheries/

Even the eu are blaming covid 19 for the fishing crises

QuoteCoronavirus response: Fisheries and aquaculture

As the Coronavirus pandemic threatens the health of our citizens, many parts of the EU economy are also experiencing major disruptions.

Fishing and aquaculture are among the hardest hit sectors, as demand has seen a sudden decline. The Commission has therefore proposed a range of temporary and targeted measures to address the challenges faced by the seafood community.

https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/coronavirus-response-fisheries-and-aquaculture_en

Two third of fish consumed in france is from scotland , and most of it is consumed in restaurants.

You are a bullshitter and a liar gerry , and a bad loser.

It takes minutes to fact check the bullshit you talk on this forum when people can be bothered giving you the time of day.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 17, 2021, 04:11:25 PM
Wheres the demand?

Scotland lands 62 % of uk fish , and much of it goes to France. Brother in law lives in south east france , has done for twenty years , and has a 6 pm curfew with French restaurants shut down.

Whatever demand is there is very weak compared to normal due to covid.

Like i said gerry , covid has stolen the wind from your sails.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210116/reader-question-can-i-get-takeaway-during-curfew

The uk wont be rejoining the eu because of fish gerry. Unlucky .

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-21/monkfish-price-tumble-in-scotland-shows-pain-of-french-shutdown
The fish that was caught and couldnt get customs clearance in time & was dumped along with the fish that was turned back from french ports because of poor condition or incomplere paperwork. The same fish that some fishermen in the uk were landing in europe.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 17, 2021, 03:32:21 PM
But there is demand for UK fish, they wouldn't be trying to ship it otherwise.

Wheres the demand?

Scotland lands 62 % of uk fish , and much of it goes to France. Brother in law lives in south east france , has done for twenty years , and has a 6 pm curfew with French restaurants shut down.

Whatever demand is there is very weak compared to normal due to covid.

Like i said gerry , covid has stolen the wind from your sails.

QuoteSince restaurants in France closed in October many have been offering a takeout service as a way to stay afloat.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210116/reader-question-can-i-get-takeaway-during-curfew

The uk wont be rejoining the eu because of fish gerry. Unlucky .

Monkfish Price Tumble in Scotland Shows Pain of French Shutdown

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-21/monkfish-price-tumble-in-scotland-shows-pain-of-french-shutdown

papasmurf

But there is demand for UK fish, they wouldn't be trying to ship it otherwise. The problem isn't demand it's getting the fish out of the UK before it rots.
Blaming business is a total cop-out, not that you have but there is a lot of that going on. Even that moron Rabb this morning on Marr was putting it down to teething issues, Marr being his usual self didn't ask any questions, such as the lack of vets, delays in getting paperwork and customs inspections for pre-clearance. Plus the checks on the other side.

That is why locally most of the deep sea fishing fleet is not putting to sea, and the few inshore boats that are putting to sea have stopped crab/lobster fishing. 

Sheepy

But there is demand for UK fish, they wouldn't be trying to ship it otherwise. The problem isn't demand it's getting the fish out of the UK before it rots.
Blaming business is a total cop-out, not that you have but there is a lot of that going on. Even that moron Rabb this morning on Marr was putting it down to teething issues, Marr being his usual self didn't ask any questions, such as the lack of vets, delays in getting paperwork and customs inspections for pre-clearance. Plus the checks on the other side.

It was said here, many times, the on tariff barriers to trade can be more restrictive than the tariff itself. Getting a FTA is great but it only removes the tariff.
Well, the bad news for you is, the remain media and yourself are having a spiteful right old goodtime, it never lasts and it will get sorted, then you will need to turn your spite elsewhere, oh won't that be such a shame.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 17, 2021, 11:30:00 AM

It was said here, many times, the on tariff barriers to trade can be more restrictive than the tariff itself. Getting a FTA is great but it only removes the tariff.

johnofgwent

COVID-19 response measures, such as restaurant closures and bans on travel, have curbed global fish demand. In addition to the collapse of the international fish market, local demand has dropped significantly due to the virus. For example, in China, the cancellation of lunar new year celebrations, which typically involves large seafood consumption, left local fisheries struggling.

You'll forgive me if I don't give a flying one about the scum who have taken down the whole world economy and turned me into a bloody cripple
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote How COVID-19 is Impacting the Fishing Industry

Thomas

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 12:14:23 PM
Many of the contributors to this forum keep accusing me of things I have never stated.

It's simple, you challenge them to prove it. If they can't you're a winner, if they can then you look a fool.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 12:14:23 PM
Many of the contributors to this forum keep accusing me of things I have never stated.

well you said you are banned from criticising the tories on this forum , and i asked you to provide evidence which you ignored. You are a well known "story teller" and figure of ridicule , so no change there then.

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 11:22:12 AM
I would have thought you had realised by now all legitimate and public domain criticism of the Tory government is banned on this forum.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2021, 12:01:13 PM
Are you seriously telling people that they need to read what you put?
You are the master at not understanding the context before posting.

:D :D :D