Minister blames human error & ‘defective code’ for loss of 150k police records

Started by Dynamis, January 16, 2021, 08:53:59 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on January 16, 2021, 12:12:51 PM
How could you have such an important database not backed up on multiple servers?

That puzzles me as well. There are at least three backups, the final stage being a very secure building where there is no connection to the publicly accessible internet.
(Banks and other organisations take similar precautions.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

How could you have such an important database not backed up on multiple servers?
Strikes me it was deliberate, and if we knew some of the names that got deleted, which we won't, we might figure out who sanctioned it.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 16, 2021, 10:08:25 AM

I rejoice at the fact these people can continue to enjoy the legal status of innocent until proven guilty.

I don't. You never know some of those lost files could let a murderer go free.
I also wonder if the maintenance of those files is privatised.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

The details i read were that these were people from whom prints / dna were taken and no further action taken thereafter. Or in other words the principle of being innocent until PROVEN guilty prevailed.

The problem in this country is that thanks to Nick Clegg christ knows how many people's prints and dna "taken for exclusion at the scene of a crime" like my own, taken in 2009 to exclude my prints and sweat from the front door i was manfully trying to kick in or rip off for a good five minutes before firemen arrived, thinking a woman might be trapped behind it in a burning house, are still on the database indexed against the rape and murder committed at the property, and Clegg refused to have records like mine removed.

I rejoice at the fact these people can continue to enjoy the legal status of innocent until proven guilty.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>