Bye-bye EU, hello CPTPP.

Started by HDQQ, January 31, 2021, 10:23:45 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Locked pending transfer of posts to another thread.

Posts moved to new thread:
https://pol-tics.com/index.php/topic,2881.0.html

Unlocked...
Please keep this thread about the CPTPP. Thank you.  :)
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on February 03, 2021, 09:53:21 PM
As part of the EU you had FTA's with 7 of the 11 CPTPP members. And as the CPTPP came into force in 2018 you would have done will joining 50yrs ago. The way things are China won't be let join and I really had to laugh at Ms Truss when she said "I have just formally notified #CPTPP nations of our intent to join."  Not that she was looking to apply but that the UK was joining,  ;D ;D hilarious.
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1356203381862375431

Whats the chances that the other countries would let you in ?  The UK proving to be an untrustworthy partner won't help. The last thing they need is a bully boy coming in and wrecking it for everyone.

Whats the deal, are there costs, do you have to follow a common set of rules, are their restrictions (quotas/rules of origin/services), how are disputes settled. I have no idea as it never crossed my mind that a country would want to join a trade block on the other side of the world.
I can't say I am interested in your opinion. None of your business.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on January 31, 2021, 11:34:51 AM
In all honesty, if we had joined this 50 years ago instead of flirting with being part of a European empire building how different things might have been, oh well.
As part of the EU you had FTA's with 7 of the 11 CPTPP members. And as the CPTPP came into force in 2018 you would have done will joining 50yrs ago. The way things are China won't be let join and I really had to laugh at Ms Truss when she said "I have just formally notified #CPTPP nations of our intent to join."  Not that she was looking to apply but that the UK was joining,  ;D ;D hilarious.
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1356203381862375431

Whats the chances that the other countries would let you in ?  The UK proving to be an untrustworthy partner won't help. The last thing they need is a bully boy coming in and wrecking it for everyone.

Whats the deal, are there costs, do you have to follow a common set of rules, are their restrictions (quotas/rules of origin/services), how are disputes settled. I have no idea as it never crossed my mind that a country would want to join a trade block on the other side of the world.

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on January 31, 2021, 01:32:21 PM
No but ducky has his crystal ball out and like we always said if the EU had stayed as it was a trading block only which we signed up for then the problems wouldn't exist, but then plenty of people spent years telling everyone by using their own words behind the EU. it was never set up as a trading block but as an eventual superstate. I am sure Ducky can do the same thing with reports and words used by those behind CPTPP, but then again, I somehow doubt it.
And got it in one ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on January 31, 2021, 10:23:45 AM
Bye-bye EU, hello CPTPP. (Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership)

So the UK is thinking of joining a trade pact with 11 other countries, all on the 'Pacific Rim'. Apparently if we join we would be expected to adhere to CPTPP regulations, although not strictly 100%. If we join the CPTPP, we'd be the second largest economy within it, just as we were in the EU. I haven't seen anything about how much it would cost us to join or whether there would be annual payments. Given our track record over the EU, it wouldn't surprise me if we're turned down by the CPTPP - also we're hardly part of the Pacific Rim anyway. Our trade with the 11 countries in the CPTPP is only a tiny fraction compared to our trade with the EU. And just suppose we join the CPTPP and a couple of years down the line they start talking about 'ever greater union'! The USA was hoping to join but Trump wrecked that, while China's also interested. Maybe the EU might even join, or perhaps merge with it.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry, it looks like the CPTPP, which is a new organisation, is rather like the EU, with a decision-making body called the 'commission'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_and_Progressive_Agreement_for_Trans-Pacific_Partnership

I can't pretend I'd even heard of the CPTPP before today!

The key is in the name, 'agreement', not Union. And certainly not some political monster intent on becoming the United States of Europe.

Biden will almost certainly join, maybe even China, that will mean we are a member of the biggest trading agreement by a country mile. And after the EU has shown it's true colours this week do you really think they will be welcome to join? I don't.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 31, 2021, 11:58:51 AM
Its nothing like the EU at all quackers . Its a free trade organisation not a political movement with its own currency ,protectionist policies ,free movement of cheap labour and a raft of directives every week that have nothing to do with trade . (not to mention we wont have Pacific Rim written on our passports and have to let them plunder our fish stocks )
No but ducky has his crystal ball out and like we always said if the EU had stayed as it was a trading block only which we signed up for then the problems wouldn't exist, but then plenty of people spent years telling everyone by using their own words behind the EU. it was never set up as a trading block but as an eventual superstate. I am sure Ducky can do the same thing with reports and words used by those behind CPTPP, but then again, I somehow doubt it.

HDQQ

Quote from: Thomas on January 31, 2021, 10:40:26 AM

boo hoo quackers , 5 years on and counting and folk on the interwebby still havent changed their minds about leaving the eu?

As times go by quack , your posts are getting more and more extreme like pappysmurfs.

Today is tranquilising dissenters , yesterday it was jailing those who refused to take the covid vaccine , tomorrow , you will be shooting brexiters .

...and you tell me you were a lib dem? :D

I thought I was the dissenter on here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not surprisingly, I'm familiar with the phrase "If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."  So when it comes to the CPTPP, "If it walks like an aspiring unelected superstate, swims like an aspiring unelected superstate and quacks like an aspiring unelected superstate, then it probably is an aspiring unelected superstate." 

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 31, 2021, 11:58:51 AM
Its nothing like the EU at all quackers . Its a free trade organisation not a political movement with its own currency ,protectionist policies ,free movement of cheap labour and a raft of directives every week that have nothing to do with trade . (not to mention we wont have Pacific Rim written on our passports and have to let them plunder our fish stocks )

The thing's only been set up a couple of years. Give it time . . .   The EU started out as the European Coal and Steel Community, after all.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Bye-bye EU, hello CPTPP. (Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership)

So the UK is thinking of joining a trade pact with 11 other countries, all on the 'Pacific Rim'. Apparently if we join we would be expected to adhere to CPTPP regulations, although not strictly 100%. If we join the CPTPP, we'd be the second largest economy within it, just as we were in the EU. I haven't seen anything about how much it would cost us to join or whether there would be annual payments. Given our track record over the EU, it wouldn't surprise me if we're turned down by the CPTPP - also we're hardly part of the Pacific Rim anyway. Our trade with the 11 countries in the CPTPP is only a tiny fraction compared to our trade with the EU. And just suppose we join the CPTPP and a couple of years down the line they start talking about 'ever greater union'! The USA was hoping to join but Trump wrecked that, while China's also interested. Maybe the EU might even join, or perhaps merge with it.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry, it looks like the CPTPP, which is a new organisation, is rather like the EU, with a decision-making body called the 'commission'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_and_Progressive_Agreement_for_Trans-Pacific_Partnership

johnofgwent

This is hardly a flash in the pan

The government has been pursuing this for three years. In their own words, the various regions of the UK already trade with these countries and to my mind investigating tariff free trade here is a no brainer

Yes, the total exports for 2019 are below 10% of what we exported to the EU but so what ??

UK.Gov update here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-approach-to-joining-the-cptpp-trade-agreement
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

As I follow Liz Truss on Twitter I know this has been in the offing for weeks, I do know a bit more owing to your fine wiki research.
I'm not sure if you are trying to say we are joining the equivalent of an Asian Eu, but I can see you are suggesting there's a "Commission" and we might need to pay £350 million a week to be members. Otherwise, what is your exact point?

I'm pleased the government are doing all they can, and very quickly, to get deals done all over the world. Deals with the UK in mind, no one else.
Remember, we already have a trade deal with the EU, Quackers.  Union Flag
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

In all honesty, if we had joined this 50 years ago instead of flirting with being part of a European empire building how different things might have been, oh well.

srb7677

Quote from: HDQQ on January 31, 2021, 10:37:25 AM
I'm more worried about a shortage of tranquilliser darts as we frequently need to sedate some of the members of this forum.
In the absence of such obviously needed tranquiliser darts, I have to make do with the ignore button. Lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on January 31, 2021, 10:31:56 AM
Is there a vaccine for illogical remainers,yes there probably is.........but Brussels slapped an export ban on it :P :P
Dunno, but it never takes long for deny and deflect to show its head.

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on January 31, 2021, 10:37:25 AM
I'm more worried about a shortage of tranquilliser darts as we frequently need to sedate some of the members of this forum.

boo hoo quackers , 5 years on and counting and folk on the interwebby still havent changed their minds about leaving the eu?

As times go by quack , your posts are getting more and more extreme like pappysmurfs.

Today is tranquilising dissenters , yesterday it was jailing those who refused to take the covid vaccine , tomorrow , you will be shooting brexiters .

...and you tell me you were a lib dem? :D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

Quote from: cromwell on January 31, 2021, 10:31:56 AM
Is there a vaccine for illogical remainers,yes there probably is.........but Brussels slapped an export ban on it :P :P

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!