The New Cold War with China

Started by Sampanviking, February 09, 2021, 12:30:37 PM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

Sampanviking

One of the best videos I have watched in a very long time
Cyrus Janssen talks to Businessman turned author Terry Wittenmyer about his new book "Fearing China"
The discussion covers media representation, doing business, macro economics, Political systems and Human Rights
I found this genuinely very insightful and many here would benefit from watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjZyCixoAlA

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 22, 2021, 06:16:25 PM
But not necessarily our enemy either Barry, unless we go out of our way to make it into one, which seems to be the intent of the West at the moment.
Big money and lots of lovely kickbacks in relation to all those lovely Military Procurement deals. I mean afterall, whats the point in wasting good public money on schools, hospitals and modern infrastructure right?
But then what Cromwell said is true, the PRC will do what is best for the Chinese political elite, so they can show us what great and wise leaders they are, nobody is denying they have done great things with their infrastructure and are annoyed by the US trying to bring them to heel. As usual the greed in the US created the chance for China to create it anyway, which the Chinese grabbed with both hands, so not much point crying about it, when it finally dawned on the US they are plebs. But then all that infrastructure isn't much use if it all gets washed away. Politically all our choices are limited by empires, just the way it is.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sampanviking

Quote from: Barry on July 22, 2021, 06:09:06 PM
China has become an economic giant, aided by the West outsourcing their production there for greed.
China is also a military giant - not our friend in either sphere.

But not necessarily our enemy either Barry, unless we go out of our way to make it into one, which seems to be the intent of the West at the moment.
Big money and lots of lovely kickbacks in relation to all those lovely Military Procurement deals. I mean afterall, whats the point in wasting good public money on schools, hospitals and modern infrastructure right?

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell on July 21, 2021, 09:53:15 PM
I don't think anybody on here sees the west as perfect but your eulogises about China are just that,China is on the rise and the US waning,will China be some great force for good in the world?

No China will do what's best for the PRC and if that means trampling all over anyone who gets in the way it will end of.

All China has to do is be better and more humane than the US. Not exactly a high bar to jump is it?
No, I do Eulogise, but I do object to the utterly and cynically warped, self serving narrative that we get from our media and bought and paid for Political Class. If they simply told it straight, people like me, would quite happily go off and do something else.
When these guys come on telly and tell us that "our way of life is under threat" they only mean there's not the likes of you and me. But when they say "We Need to make Sacrifices" you can guess that we are all included in that party!

Barry

China has become an economic giant, aided by the West outsourcing their production there for greed.
China is also a military giant - not our friend in either sphere.
† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2021, 11:52:18 AM
Another point to contemplate is the possible finite lives of vast communist dictatorships. The USSR began in 1922 and fell apart in 1991. PRC was announced in 1949. The rise of the middle class and growing personal wealth, together with unrest in the regions seems to indicate that Chinese versions of glasnost and perestroika could be about a decade away...

You must work for the BBC Pat to follow logic like that - Vast Communist Dictatorships? I think you have a sample group of 1. Similarities between USSR and PRC? The ruling parties have a similar looking set of initials, other than that?
What unrest in what regions?

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2021, 11:52:18 AM
Another point to contemplate is the possible finite lives of vast communist dictatorships. The USSR began in 1922 and fell apart in 1991. PRC was announced in 1949. The rise of the middle class and growing personal wealth, together with unrest in the regions seems to indicate that Chinese versions of glasnost and perestroika could be about a decade away...
Possibly and then if history is anything to go by a Putin like president for life emerging and a return to the good?old gays.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

I don't think anybody on here sees the west as perfect but your eulogises about China are just that,China is on the rise and the US waning,will China be some great force for good in the world?

No China will do what's best for the PRC and if that means trampling all over anyone who gets in the way it will end of.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

This is good, BBC disinformation in an article supposed to expose the disinformation of others.
The pettiness and the lengths that the BBC will go to present a psychologically loaded image is extraordinary
Its also being done with the money from our License Fee's!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS8EceIa1MQ

Sampanviking

Quote from: Sheepy on July 21, 2021, 01:52:29 PM
You said
Yes a mysterious and wholly unsubstantiated story that broke the very next day after the very real and very substantiated story about the Pegasus spyware
So I put that right, no it didn't it broke in 2019 and nobody noticed. Nothing cryptic about it.

So "It" is the China Microsoft Exchange Story? So its a rehash?
Yes, your being clear as mud
If it is a rehash, just reinforces my original point doesn't it.

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 21, 2021, 01:49:41 PMYes a mysterious and wholly unsubstantiated story that broke the very next day after the very real and very substantiated story about the Pegasus spyware
You said
Yes a mysterious and wholly unsubstantiated story that broke the very next day after the very real and very substantiated story about the Pegasus spyware
So I put that right, no it didn't it broke in 2019 and nobody noticed. Nothing cryptic about it.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Sheepy on July 21, 2021, 11:37:51 AM
Strange that it broke in 2019 then, but nobody noticed.

I assume by it, you mean the Pegasus story? Well maybe, but it did not get full MSM exposure until Monday.
Seriously Sheep's it is very hard work trying to follow your nods, winks and oblique references.
Have you ever tried stating something plain for a change?
Have you ever considered a career setting Cryptic Crosswords?

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 21, 2021, 10:09:37 AM
Yes a mysterious and wholly unsubstantiated story that broke the very next day after the very real and very substantiated story about the Pegasus spyware hacking story was broken, involving an Israeli firm and Pro Western Governments, targeting Journalists, Human Rights Activists and Opposition Politicians.
So clearly no attempt at a distraction here.....
Strange that it broke in 2019 then, but nobody noticed.