The Mystery Of India's Plummeting COVID-19 Cases

Started by Thomas, February 09, 2021, 04:25:59 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

It's easy enough to read the Times of India online and I couldn't find many signs of panic.
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

Quote from: Barry on April 28, 2021, 12:28:49 PM
Yesterday 3285 people were reported to have died in India with Covid.

On the good news front the birth rate is about 75,000 per day which replaces them more than 22 times over.

Bear also in mind they have a population 20 times greater than the UK, so they are reporting the equivalent of 164 deaths in the UK.

Just a bit of balance.
As Nick's post points out, "reported" is the operative word with respect to the numbers of dead with Covid in India's figures. Remember this is India.
It's unlikely there'll ever be an accurate figure, but news and interviews coming out of India lead me to suspect that any official future investigations could report a substantial increase on the current total — depending whether the current political leadership is there to report, or has been replaced...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Scott777

In India, about 27,000 people die every day, (based on 7.3 per 1000 from Index Mundi, and population of 1.4 billion, Worldometer).

https://www.indexmundi.com/india/death_rate.html
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

Yesterday 3285 people were reported to have died in India with Covid.

On the good news front the birth rate is about 75,000 per day which replaces them more than 22 times over.

Bear also in mind they have a population 20 times greater than the UK, so they are reporting the equivalent of 164 deaths in the UK.

Just a bit of balance.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on February 14, 2021, 11:24:11 AM
India's peak daily infection numbers (in September last year) were not that much higher than our in UK (in January this year), yet India's population is 20 times that of UK so it's unlikely they've reached anything like herd immunity. There's the possibility of more under-reporting of cases in India but against that, the reported death rates in the two countries are not dissimilar in relation to total cases.

Since people of Indian origin have been particularly hard-hit by covid-19 in UK, it's unlikely there's any genetic tendency toward immunity in India. Maybe some environmental or climatic factor or perhaps some other 'bug' going round in that region has given people resistance. It's a mystery.

Looking back to earlier in the initial spread of the pandemic, India, Brazil and most of Africa seemed to be largely unaffected by covid-19 and that was puzzling some pundits. Then covid-19 hit Brazil particularly badly and hit India too but most of Africa has still escaped relatively lightly.

I think you mean India's reported peak daily infection rates. I assume you believe all these numbers coming from these countries not known for their, let's say accurate accounting?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

India's peak daily infection numbers (in September last year) were not that much higher than our in UK (in January this year), yet India's population is 20 times that of UK so it's unlikely they've reached anything like herd immunity. There's the possibility of more under-reporting of cases in India but against that, the reported death rates in the two countries are not dissimilar in relation to total cases.

Since people of Indian origin have been particularly hard-hit by covid-19 in UK, it's unlikely there's any genetic tendency toward immunity in India. Maybe some environmental or climatic factor or perhaps some other 'bug' going round in that region has given people resistance. It's a mystery.
How would you know what the infection numbers are in India?  Were they all tested?

Barry

The rate is also plummeting here. We have 1.5% of tests coming back positive. In our area 1 person in 2000 has it.
And this is how it is behaving across the world  - plummeting. It's nothing to do with lockdown or it would have plummeted in November.
And we all remain locked up. Well, those who are complying.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on February 14, 2021, 02:10:25 PM
I've never seen a shred of evidence on here that you have any compassion for other people so stop your posturing and put away your crocodile tears.

i have never laughed at others people deaths to make myself feel self important or self righteous either quack.

Whatever new low i think you have hit on this forum , somehow somethwere you always manage to beat it .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Looking back to earlier in the initial spread of the pandemic, India, Brazil and most of Africa seemed to be largely unaffected by covid-19 and that was puzzling some pundits. Then covid-19 hit Brazil particularly badly and hit India too but most of Africa has still escaped relatively lightly.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/11/asia/india-covid-death-rate-explainer-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Now ok this is CNN which is only slightly less woke than Fox News but a couple of things stand out

It is reported that a lot of Indians die at home with no doctor declaring why, and only 86% of hospitals comply with state registrations.

As a country, India cares little at the life and death of several sections of its population.

In short, none and f it's figures are to be trusted
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Quote from: Thomas on February 14, 2021, 11:26:01 AM
thank you for the input mr self righteous.

Are you still laughing at that poor american guy dying because he wouldnt wear a mask? :(

I've never seen a shred of evidence on here that you have any compassion for other people so stop your posturing and put away your crocodile tears.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

thank you for the input mr self righteous.

Are you still laughing at that poor american guy dying because he wouldnt wear a mask? :(
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Scott777