Posting notifications

Started by patman post, February 13, 2021, 04:11:13 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

^^^
I've never bothered to hide. That's why it's a mystery to me why I remain hidden. 
I WANT A GREEN SQUARE BY MY NAME...!!!
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

^^^

I dont know why anyone bothers hiding when posting on the forum , but what i will say , is there are only two people , patman post and dynamis , on any forum i have ever been on that i can think of who did this.

Dynamis famously ran off crying , so doesnt post anymore , so when it says at the bottom of the page that a member is "hidden" , everyone knows who it is anyway.

Seems a pointless excercise to me  , but there you go.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

Logged in and out several times. The only difference now is the message:  An Error Has Occurred! Your session timed out while posting.  Please go back and try again. Back
I click on Back and the same message comes up. But if I ignore Back and click on Login again, I get in.
Being hidden while logged in is not a major problem for me, but a Mod once asked me why I post while hidden and I've never been able to work out why...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on February 20, 2021, 12:56:38 PM
I'm logged in now — 12.56
Home says 6 users (1 hidden), guess who that is...

Could be someone who is in the process of logging in, or it could be Spiders. Only admin can see certain bots.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

I'm logged in now — 12.56
Home says 6 users (1 hidden), guess who that is...

Nick

Only Admin and Mods can choose to hide their online status, everyone else uses the forum default which is 'cannot hide online status'

I can see your online status PP so should be OK. Can you screenshot it if you're having issues?

Thanks

patman post

Thanks Barry, but I'm particularly dim today.
Clicked:
Account Settings
and still can't see anything about my online status...

Barry

PP
Profile>Account settings>Show others my online status. (tick) confirm by clicking Change profile
Log out and log back in again and you should show online.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Nick on February 13, 2021, 05:13:58 PM

And I assume these pop-ups disappeared after a few seconds, this must have been such a harrowing experience for you?

You control the notifications sent to YOUR email address, that is your right. The pop-ups are a feature of this website, which as far as you're concerned is free: It isn't free for everyone, and as a wise man once said, "He who pays the piper calls the tune".

Certain other political forums in the U.K. have a lot of members but they are featureless. You can't embed pictures or video, you can't say thanks to other contributors and they are riddled with adverts. We choose to carry the burden of the costs to keep us advert free, we also decide on the look and feel of the forum.
Feel free to tell the admin on the other forums that you don't want a constant stream of pop-up adverts and see what they say.
Thanks for putting "Show who quoted your posts" under posters' control. And congratulations, the forum has certainly brightened its presentation.

Not sure which other forums you're calling featureless — the few I post on only show ads to non logged-in visitors. And as you say, they do have a lot of members. Personally, I don't miss the Thanks feature, the overused videos and emoticons, or the screeds of bold text supposedly lifted from some publication or another, swamping threads...

PS: I still appear as offline. Where can I find the toggle to alter this? Thanks

Nick

Quote from: DeppityDawg on February 17, 2021, 11:00:22 AM
Apart from needing sunglasses to read the fecker

Might be your sunny disposition reflecting back off your screen  :P

But as it says in the news, there are a few colour changes to be done yet.

DeppityDawg

Apart from needing sunglasses to read the fecker

Thomas

just to say the new forum layout is looking great . Well done .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on February 13, 2021, 05:13:58 PM

And I assume these pop-ups disappeared after a few seconds, this must have been such a harrowing experience for you?

You control the notifications sent to YOUR email address, that is your right. The pop-ups are a feature of this website, which as far as you're concerned is free: It isn't free for everyone, and as a wise man once said, "He who pays the piper calls the tune".

Certain other political forums in the U.K. have a lot of members but they are featureless. You can't embed pictures or video, you can't say thanks to other contributors and they are riddled with adverts. We choose to carry the burden of the costs to keep us advert free, we also decide on the look and feel of the forum.
Feel free to tell the admin on the other forums that you don't want a constant stream of pop-up adverts and see what they say.
As you say it's there for seconds,tbh I found it useful.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: patman post on February 13, 2021, 04:11:13 PM
When I sign in, a screed of postit notes appears telling me who's posted on what.
I don't want this service and I have not asked for this service, which is why I checked my settings and found I'd left blank requests for such notifications.

My settings say:

You aren't receiving notifications on any boards right now.
To request notifications from a specific board, click the "notify" button in the index of that board.

Does being an infrequent visitor exacerbate the annoyance, and if so can it be switched off...?

patman post

When I sign in, a screed of postit notes appears telling me who's posted on what.
I don't want this service and I have not asked for this service, which is why I checked my settings and found I'd left blank requests for such notifications.

My settings say:

You aren't receiving notifications on any boards right now.
To request notifications from a specific board, click the "notify" button in the index of that board.

Does being an infrequent visitor exacerbate the annoyance, and if so can it be switched off...?