Should zero Covid be the objective?

Started by Barry, February 21, 2021, 11:37:16 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 21, 2021, 06:11:21 PMFrom what Ive read its here to stay in one form or another and we have just got to learn to live with it . Vaccinations will go some way to that goal ,maybe even a annual jab to combat new variants like the flu . Keeping people out of hospital is more of an objective than zero covid
Quote from: Barry on February 21, 2021, 08:58:06 PM
I really do agree there. It's the sick that are important and treating them to the best of our abilities.

So if diseases like shingles, flu, Covid, etc can be kept at manageable levels by vaccination, hand washing, mask wearing, etc, there should  be the full range of personnel and treatments available for other diseases that require skilled intervention...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on February 22, 2021, 12:07:02 AM
We all have to die eventually but the more of us who are able live healthily beyond 90 and then, when our 'time' does come, just fall asleep and not wake up, the better.
But not better for an already over-populated world.
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

HDQQ, so then the question is, what measures should be taken, and should they be more strict than with the flu?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

HDQQ

Zero Covid might never be possible but that doesn't mean that we should just decide that, say, 1000 deaths a year directly attributable to the virus is OK. We live with a certain number of deaths each year from cancer, heart disease, road accidents and even murders but people are working on ways to reduce all these deaths. We all have to die eventually but the more of us who are able live healthily beyond 90 and then, when our 'time' does come, just fall asleep and not wake up, the better.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 21, 2021, 06:11:21 PM
From what Ive read its here to stay in one form or another and we have just got to learn to live with it . Vaccinations will go some way to that goal ,maybe even a annual jab to combat new variants like the flu .

[HIGHLIGHT]Keeping people out of hospital is more of an objective than zero covid[/HIGHLIGHT]
I really do agree there. It's the sick that are important and treating them to the best of our abilities.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

From what Ive read its here to stay in one form or another and we have just got to learn to live with it . Vaccinations will go some way to that goal ,maybe even a annual jab to combat new variants like the flu .

Keeping people out of hospital is more of an objective than zero covid

Scott777

It would be like trying to achieve zero flu.  Very very hard, and completely unnecessary.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

There are some who think we should aim for zero Covid. Others say it is unachievable, that we need to live with a low level of infections and some deaths.
I'll go with the author of this article.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9282175/PROFESSOR-ROBERT-DINGWALL-resist-powerful-voices-arguing-Zero-Covid.html
† The end is nigh †