Why Israel sometimes needs a pat on the back

Started by Sheepy, March 07, 2021, 11:11:40 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Sheepy on March 11, 2021, 11:18:46 AM
I was thinking the Left might like to see how innovative some people can be, but it seems they don't like their opinions questioned, this is how it is and let no one say differently.
Erm, innovative it is then.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: Barry on March 20, 2021, 12:28:12 PM
No, you're not wrong. I know a few words, but Borchester slips a bit of Yiddish into his posts occasionally, along with a bit of double Dutch.
I'm still marvelling at the amount of current required to charge that 33A at 600V would take more electricity than the average home is supplied with.
Israel have masses of energy to spare with new gas fields, perhaps they'll need more gas fired power stations. Tidal power isn't much use in the Med. ;)
Israel's been working on converting Middle-East scum into something useful like renewable fuel and even pharmaceuticals. I guess a by-product could also be hydrogen...
https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/InnovativeIsrael/Pages/Fueling-the-future-26-Aug-2012.aspxhttps://mfa.gov.il/MFA/InnovativeIsrael/Pages/Fueling-the-future-26-Aug-2012.aspx
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

grumzed

The power requirements for the electric car revolution is a problem to be solved everywhere. Not just the extra power sources (presumably not using fossil fuels as it kind-of defeats ythe object) but the massive improvement to the power distribution systems. It wouldn't be great if we all get electric cars but end up queuing for hours to get charged up or finding the neighbourhood supplies to houses keeps getting overloaded because too many cars are getting charged.

I've been to Israel 3 (maybe 4) times on business. The first time was nearly 50 years ago when I had quite long hair (not quite a hippy) and I must have resembled a some wanted PLF member because I got taken aside by security twice and subjected to lengthy questioning. Not a bad experience given it was carried out on both occasions by very good looking young ladies! TelAviv is a great place to visit! There were then, and when I last went to Israel 10 to 15 years ago, a lot of uniforms about with guns though. Understandibly of course, but disturbing if you not used to it. I got to see lots of historic sites too as I got to travel around a bit and had spare time. In one company I visited I sat down with a two of the people there. One of the guys winced as he sat down. He got up swiftly and put a large automatic hand gun on the table (he had it in a pocket and had sat on it). Never had that happen before evn in a tough negotiation. He had to travel to work by car through a dangerous area so this was recommended it seems.

Israel has a lot going for it but they need to be more understanding to the Palestinians. My impression is that they see everything as a negotiation and if their opponent has little to offer back, they don't give a sh*t. If they need something then it is great and a deal is doable. They see the Palestinians as having nothing to offer other than not planting bombs it seems. The Palestinians get a raw deal (or no deal) every time. Not all Israelis think this way but the resulting coalitian governments have a majority that does and I don't see this changing much. The phrase "I wouldn't start from here" comes to mind. Anyway it's a great place to visit.

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on March 19, 2021, 10:23:37 PM
I don't think Barry speaks Hebrew. But I might be wrong.
No, you're not wrong. I know a few words, but Borchester slips a bit of Yiddish into his posts occasionally, along with a bit of double Dutch.
I'm still marvelling at the amount of current required to charge that 33A at 600V would take more electricity than the average home is supplied with.
Israel have masses of energy to spare with new gas fields, perhaps they'll need more gas fired power stations. Tidal power isn't much use in the Med. ;)
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

I don't think Barry speaks Hebrew. But I might be wrong.

grumzed

Quote from: HDQQ on March 07, 2021, 03:45:40 PM. . . . But they didn't show the 10cm diameter cable a 5kg plug you need . . . .

Actually, out of interest, most electric cars have battery voltages of around 600V!! As a result the current needed to charge is not so high. Designs vary, but in the range from a Fiat to a Tesla the power stored is between 20 to 80 kW-hours. That's a lot of energy to get into a battery in 5 minutes. The batteries (made up of several "cells") are typically around 600V so handling is not the same as for a 12V job we have now. I expect there are lots of safety features because 600V DC would be an unpleasant death if you grabbed the terminals. Even with a car like a Fiat you have to shove in 33 Amperes at 600V to charge it in 5 minutes and 4x that for a Tesla. I expect the fast charge times quoted were for something like a Fiat though and 33 Amperes is just about OK with thick-ish wires. A transformer could allow doubling the current and halving the voltage (or vice versa) but that does not look any more attractive. The only way this gets easier is to have less range on the vehicle. There is no magic way of getting the energy into the battery in a shorter time without the high voltage vs high current problem.

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on March 07, 2021, 03:45:40 PM
. . . . But they didn't show the 10cm diameter cable a 5kg plug you need . . . . Dancing

But seriously, if they really have got these quick charging times, and the process can be productionized economically, it's good news.
One by-product of ultra-fast charging is that each charger will have a much greater through-put of cars in a day.
I was thinking the Left might like to see how innovative some people can be, but it seems they don't like their opinions questioned, this is how it is and let no one say differently.

HDQQ

. . . . But they didn't show the 10cm diameter cable a 5kg plug you need . . . . Dancing

But seriously, if they really have got these quick charging times, and the process can be productionized economically, it's good news.
One by-product of ultra-fast charging is that each charger will have a much greater through-put of cars in a day.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Must be the genes or something, some of the greatest minds in the world.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/israeli-5-minute-battery-charge-035954991.html
Despite their politics in the Middle East and around the world, meaning their sticky fingers, they can also be innovative in other ways, a little encouragement despite politics should never go amiss.
not only that it lifts the level of debate from the lowest common denominator Barry, a bit like my thread titles.