Sarah Everard vigil: Met Police chief urged to resign after 'disgraceful' clash

Started by Thomas, March 14, 2021, 07:49:15 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

No worries, because you cannot protest anywhere near Parliament now, so they can do whatever they like and there ain't a thing you can do about it.
https://us.yahoo.com/news/boris-johnson-protests-cause-annoyance-115452888.html
As they make the laws you get to obey, enjoy.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on March 15, 2021, 05:39:06 PM
Reports suggest that the usual 'rent-a-mob' where mingled in with the genuine people and were there with different objectives. It was always going to end badly if that was the case.

Ah , I had forgot about that lot .  It didnt cross my mind that they would sink that low to gate crash it . 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 15, 2021, 07:04:41 AM
When the Duchess of Cambridge Kate turns up you can hardly criticise others for doing the same . Then again you can't have a pop at plod for doing the job they are paid to do in dispersing the protest at the end of the evening .

What needs to be addressed is why some plod over react to some excitable women when a couple of months ago they were both going down on their knees  and then a week later running away from another protest .

Do we all absolutely without question do as instructed  by plod or do we take the piss out of them ?  When we can answer that we will know why protests often end in tears

Reports suggest that the usual 'rent-a-mob' where mingled in with the genuine people and were there with different objectives. It was always going to end badly if that was the case.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on March 14, 2021, 01:23:27 PM

It therefore seems sensible to ask whether the demonstrators or the Police, or both, should be criticised and why...

When the Duchess of Cambridge Kate turns up you can hardly criticise others for doing the same . Then again you cant have a pop at plod for doing the job they are paid to do in dispersing the protest at the end of the evening .

What needs to be addressed is why some plod over react to some excitable women when a couple of months ago they were both going down on their knees  and then a week later running away from another protest .

Do we all absolutely without question do as instructed  by plod or do we take the piss out of them ?  When we can answer that we will know why protests often end in tears

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sampanviking

The thought that sprang to my mind was
Women protesting the abduction of a a woman from the Street by a serving Met Police officer, abducted from Street from serving Met Officers......

Barry

Quote from: Nick on March 14, 2021, 11:51:58 AM
It's very simple, they were breaking the law so had to be broken up.
If you let one thing go where does it end?
The thing is, there are good laws and bad laws.
The current lockdown law which breaches human rights in many ways, is bad law and deserves to be broken, IMO.
If they can prevent protest, perhaps they can prevent murders, but they didn't.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

The people who gathered last evening knew they were breaking lock-down rules.  Even those out in the sticks were told of this:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/sarah-everard-vigil-london-cancelled-5160848

On Thursday and Friday, Police had announced that the Covid rules against gatherings banned such mass demonstrations. The organisers had also called them off, and suggested virtual gatherings and other forms of support should be used.

It therefore seems sensible to ask whether the demonstrators or the Police, or both, should be criticised and why...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on March 14, 2021, 12:06:57 PM
Surely there was a better way to act here. Why did the police allow so many to gather in the first place? Why did they not limit the numbers and as darkness fell start reducing them? I appreciate that there were women there with an agenda of their own  -some call them 'men-haters' - but that apart it was illegal far earlier in the day surely and couldn't a measured response have kicked in sooner?

Apart from that I know as a woman how uncomfortable it can sometimes feel to be alone on the streets trying to get home, but how many of you men are concerned for wives, daughters, even mothers? Do your womenfolk ask for protection? Do you feel that you should accompany them on lone trips?
Whilst not detracting from the impact of this murder it is worthwhile noting the UK is generally a safe place to live,that men are almost twice as likely to be victims as women and regarding your comments about feeling vulnerable at night there are certain parts of my home city I'd feel the same at night.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Surely there was a better way to act here. Why did the police allow so many to gather in the first place? Why did they not limit the numbers and as darkness fell start reducing them? I appreciate that there were women there with an agenda of their own  -some call them 'men-haters' - but that apart it was illegal far earlier in the day surely and couldn't a measured response have kicked in sooner?

Apart from that I know as a woman how uncomfortable it can sometimes feel to be alone on the streets trying to get home, but how many of you men are concerned for wives, daughters, even mothers? Do your womenfolk ask for protection? Do you feel that you should accompany them on lone trips?

Nick

It's very simple, they were breaking the law so had to be broken up.
If you let one thing go where does it end?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

I think you miss the point.

Round here it would be a very short distance from this to a full blown riot and a hanging of Welsh assembly arseholes.

Right now, the state needs its Gestapo to follow orders.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

<sarcasm>I suppose they had to break it up.
People were enjoying a bit of grief whilst reflecting it back at the Police. One of whose officers stands charged with a heinous murder, the others who detected the crime to get him to face justice.
The dangers these covidiots were presenting to society must have been immense when they were standing in the park with their mobile phone lights on with bouquets in front of them.
After all, about 3 in every 1000 of them might be positive.

Arrest them all, Cressida!</sarcasm>
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

QuoteSarah Everard vigil: Met Police chief urged to resign after 'disgraceful' clashes between officers and crowds

The Metropolitan Police is facing fierce criticism for its handling of a vigil in memory of Sarah Everard - with Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick urged to resign.

Scuffles broke out at the gathering on Clapham Common as officers told attendees to go home - and at one stage, policemen were seen grabbing hold of several women and leading them away in handcuffs.

In the early hours of the morning, Scotland Yard confirmed that four people were arrested for public order offences and breaching coronavirus restrictions at the south London vigil

https://news.sky.com/story/sarah-everard-vigil-met-police-chief-urged-to-resign-after-disgraceful-clashes-between-officers-and-crowds-12245474
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!