European super (greed)league

Started by cromwell, April 19, 2021, 09:16:11 AM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on April 21, 2021, 07:56:13 AM

looks to me for the minute its been to test the water first and foremost streetwalker , and secondly a ploy if all else fails to extract concessions from uefa.

More money , more tv rights and more champions league places. What is it , 6 teams paying champions league wages fighting for four english places?

These guys who own these clubs arent interested in 40 thousand people coming into the stadium evey home game , they want to sell the brand to the biggest audience they can worldwide and all the lucrative sponsorship , tv rights etc that comes with it.

Not sure this is the last of it ,i thik there will be a lot of arguing going on behind closed doors. As i said mate , look at what rangers and celtic did to scotland  , stitching up the scottish league and taking roughly 90 % of the revenue between them while the rest fought over the crumbs , with the inevitable consequences in terms of competitiveness.

I find myself agreeing with every point you make here . It's probably a forlorn hope, but if only this would entice the football authorities to finally grow some and confront these greedy gits, by inflicting on them some  rules that actually would stop them raking off more and more, whilst ham stringing the poorer clubs with rules that in effect have no real use other than maintaining the status quo. Fair play sounds great, would be if was fair play. But it's not. These giants pay the fines as if it was parking tickets. If ever there was a time for professional football to get its feet back on the ground ,it's now.

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 21, 2021, 07:11:41 AM
Im not having that Cromwell , Big Mal a shite manager ? He only got us relegated two seasons running , top man was Malcom .

Maybe its through the rose coloured spectacles of youth but we played decent football back then . Even if it was in  the old third division  it was the best of times to be a fan and Allison had the vision to create a youth policy that reaped benefits for managers that would follow him . Vegetables being a prime example .

But Im glad its been shelved . Maybe the foreign owners will realise for the hard core of fans its not about   being a top side , we have all enjoyed to limited degree's our day in the sun (In our case it was actually one day  ;D )  but really its not about being rich or winning every week but in being there .

looks to me for the minute its been to test the water first and foremost streetwalker , and secondly a ploy if all else fails to extract concessions from uefa.

More money , more tv rights and more champions league places. What is it , 6 teams paying champions league wages fighting for four english places?

These guys who own these clubs arent interested in 40 thousand people coming into the stadium evey home game , they want to sell the brand to the biggest audience they can worldwide and all the lucrative sponsorship , tv rights etc that comes with it.

Not sure this is the last of it ,i thik there will be a lot of arguing going on behind closed doors. As i said mate , look at what rangers and celtic did to scotland  , stitching up the scottish league and taking roughly 90 % of the revenue between them while the rest fought over the crumbs , with the inevitable consequences in terms of competitiveness.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on April 20, 2021, 09:59:02 PM
Well it's ok you coming from the outer reaches of the empire wouldn't have heard of city.......ok I'm taking the michael.

Under gentleman Joe Mercer city were very successful he managed England for a short whille,with a great coach at city  (Malcolm Allison) I was priveleged to be at Maine Rd  where we had Bell,Lee and Summerbee who were part of a great side and all England players,we were unfortunate having a shite chairman in Peter Swales who sacked gentleman Joe and made Mal manager......great coach but crap manager and it was all downhill really in fits and starts from then but contrary to popular opinion a well supported club even when we went in to the lower reaches.
You of course wouldn't know about Bert Trautman legendary goalie ex German para pow and still then part of a very good side.

I had all this with Uganda on the old old forum who though he knew quite a lot about footie suffered gaping holes in his knowledge,I reckoned he was a closet yoonited fan.

He pulled me on "who are these Saudis who bought your club" I explained they weren't Saudis and had spent no small fortune in not just buying city bit regeneration of a very poor area of east Manchester much to the benefit of the locals.

Him not being from Manchester (like most of their fans)and buying in to the bullshit legend of the yoonited way  was ignorant of the truth that it was all founded on a bloke Louis Edwards selling rotten meat to school kids and greed and corruption even back then,also how they make so much of the Munich tragedy hadn't like most of their fans read this https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X1cI2Da4KTAC&sitesec=reviews it was all hogwash......the club didn't give a stuff and this book was written by one of their own fans.

Now owned by yanks who like those at Liverpool are behind this where history clubs (that's themselves would reign supreme and could never be relegated) like Guardiola pointed out that's not sport and am pleased to say City have pulled out they llistened to their fans who said do this and you can shove it.

The fact i hadnt heard of man city as a child isnt intended as a slight cromwell , its to show before the days of english premier league football being shown on sky tv , relatively little was known in scotland about other football teams in other leagues outside of european competition.

Im aware (now ) of man citys history , but i can think of any number of english teams no currnently in the top tier of english football who have a much better history , pedigree and trophy cabinet than man city.

Thats the point , to be considered one of the truly great european teams , most folk judge you on the success not only in your home country , but especially on winning europes premier competetion , and man city have never done that.

Fergusons initial team that won success in europe for united was built on the like of beckham scholes etc and the famous united youth that came through the ranks. Liverpool did the same historically on many occassions , and if and when man city win the campions league ,  you will have bought it and won it with a team full of mercenary foreginers.

As i said you cant moan about the state of footbally currently with corruption and greed and teams buying success when this is man citys very own model that is currently giving them success.

I dont like man utd , nor do i like ferguson for many resons , but he was pivotal in their modern success , whereas man city is simply buying theirs.

FFS you were banned from europe and fined for financial irregularity , and until football addresses rich billionaires buying clubs and success , and has more of an even playing field , then issues like closed shop european super leagues arent going away.

You i and everyone else know without the rich arabs , man city would be feck all. The club would mean much to you , but feck all to foreigners like guardiola and aguero who are merely putting up with a rainy manchester for the mass amount of cash they are being paid.

Its certainly feck all to do with the history of the club , the working class mancs or anything else.

Streetwalker

Im not having that Cromwell , Big Mal a shite manager ? He only got us relegated two seasons running , top man was Malcom .

Maybe its through the rose coloured spectacles of youth but we played decent football back then . Even if it was in  the old third division  it was the best of times to be a fan and Allison had the vision to create a youth policy that reaped benefits for managers that would follow him . Vegetables being a prime example .

But Im glad its been shelved . Maybe the foreign owners will realise for the hard core of fans its not about   being a top side , we have all enjoyed to limited degree's our day in the sun (In our case it was actually one day  ;D )  but really its not about being rich or winning every week but in being there .

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on April 20, 2021, 05:47:29 PM
Sorry cromwell i think you have misunderstood my post.

No i dont think football started in the 1990`s. I started going to football in the 80`s at the tail end of the "old era" before big money and media tycoons and the incoming rich foreigners .

I remember terraces before all seating , the days before season tickets , the old two foreigner rule and even the days when the scottish premier league was competitive , with the great dundee utd team and aberdeen , when both rangers and celtic badly struggled.

The rot began when souness went to rangers in the later 80`s , murray took over rangers and started trying to buy success , english players swamping the scottish leagues whe enngland was banned from europe , and then obviously when murdoch opened his chequebook and sky tv got involved  .

The significance of the late 80s early 90s is when the current financial malaise or rot set in to football in both our countries.

Dont agree mate sorry. I had never ever heard of teams like man city , or arsenal , or spurs growing up in the days before sky football. The major english teams of my childhood through the prism of european champions was villa , nott forest and of course the mighty liverpool , probably the most successfull and well known english club.

Man utd were famous for being european champions the year after we won it in the late 60`s , they were reasonaly well known as a club fallen on hard times  , and they had the mother wit to lure ferguson to old trafford after the wonder he had worked with aberdeen.

I first heard of city when joe royle got them promoted , and wee paul dickov played for them , and the reason they got a mention at all was because the gallgaher brothers of oasis were fans.

No offence mate , im sure they are a great club but in terms of pedigree in europe , and history in the english game they were little known. My mate went  to both old trafford and etihad when celtic played them in the champions league , and he said to me he had never been so underwhelmd at  going to 2 european stadiums on champions league night. Celtic fans made all the noise and atmosphere , and in citys case even guardiola said man sity didnt have the european pedigree nor was the etihad a european theatre like the nou camp or parkhead.

City epitomise all thats wrong with modern football....an historically " minimally" successful  club in its home country  that has bought its modern success , and now its owners want to take this to the next level with this european league as palying english teams like burnley or whoever just doesnt cut it.

Im blaming my team celtic as well here cromwell. They and the huns feckin destroyed scottish football for much the same reasons as man city and these others are happy to destroy english football. Money and greed.

As i said mate  , football long ago lost its tag as the game of the working class. Sure  , young boys off the estates still try and go for a pint and a punch up on a saturday , but the emphasis is now on families and those with money to spend.

A customer of mine who is a spurs fan was telling me about the new spurs stadioum , and i said to him it sounds like a feckin shopping centre rather than a football stadium.

He was saying all the craft beer they are flogging in the ground now is destroying all the pubs around it.

As for greed and corruption , FFS , you only need to look at FIFA awarding the world cup to qatar.

What started in the late 80`s early 90`s has led us to where we are now. Im not suprised in the slightest , and im not sure why most others are.
Well it's ok you coming from the outer reaches of the empire wouldn't have heard of city.......ok I'm taking the michael.

Under gentleman Joe Mercer city were very successful he managed England for a short whille,with a great coach at city  (Malcolm Allison) I was priveleged to be at Maine Rd  where we had Bell,Lee and Summerbee who were part of a great side and all England players,we were unfortunate having a shite chairman in Peter Swales who sacked gentleman Joe and made Mal manager......great coach but crap manager and it was all downhill really in fits and starts from then but contrary to popular opinion a well supported club even when we went in to the lower reaches.
You of course wouldn't know about Bert Trautman legendary goalie ex German para pow and still then part of a very good side.

I had all this with Uganda on the old old forum who though he knew quite a lot about footie suffered gaping holes in his knowledge,I reckoned he was a closet yoonited fan.

He pulled me on "who are these Saudis who bought your club" I explained they weren't Saudis and had spent no small fortune in not just buying city bit regeneration of a very poor area of east Manchester much to the benefit of the locals.

Him not being from Manchester (like most of their fans)and buying in to the bullshit legend of the yoonited way  was ignorant of the truth that it was all founded on a bloke Louis Edwards selling rotten meat to school kids and greed and corruption even back then,also how they make so much of the Munich tragedy hadn't like most of their fans read this https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X1cI2Da4KTAC&sitesec=reviews it was all hogwash......the club didn't give a stuff and this book was written by one of their own fans.

Now owned by yanks who like those at Liverpool are behind this where history clubs (that's themselves would reign supreme and could never be relegated) like Guardiola pointed out that's not sport and am pleased to say City have pulled out they llistened to their fans who said do this and you can shove it.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on April 20, 2021, 08:34:19 AM
Well Thomas you think footie only started in the 1990's,

Sorry cromwell i think you have misunderstood my post.

No i dont think football started in the 1990`s. I started going to football in the 80`s at the tail end of the "old era" before big money and media tycoons and the incoming rich foreigners .

I remember terraces before all seating , the days before season tickets , the old two foreigner rule and even the days when the scottish premier league was competitive , with the great dundee utd team and aberdeen , when both rangers and celtic badly struggled.

The rot began when souness went to rangers in the later 80`s , murray took over rangers and started trying to buy success , english players swamping the scottish leagues whe enngland was banned from europe , and then obviously when murdoch opened his chequebook and sky tv got involved  .

The significance of the late 80s early 90s is when the current financial malaise or rot set in to football in both our countries.

QuoteUnited and others with their greed started the rot and if you knew their real history they were pretty much shite till your fellow Scot rocked up there.

Dont agree mate sorry. I had never ever heard of teams like man city , or arsenal , or spurs growing up in the days before sky football. The major english teams of my childhood through the prism of european champions was villa , nott forest and of course the mighty liverpool , probably the most successfull and well known english club.

Man utd were famous for being european champions the year after we won it in the late 60`s , they were reasonaly well known as a club fallen on hard times  , and they had the mother wit to lure ferguson to old trafford after the wonder he had worked with aberdeen.

I first heard of city when joe royle got them promoted , and wee paul dickov played for them , and the reason they got a mention at all was because the gallgaher brothers of oasis were fans.

No offence mate , im sure they are a great club but in terms of pedigree in europe , and history in the english game they were little known. My mate went  to both old trafford and etihad when celtic played them in the champions league , and he said to me he had never been so underwhelmd at  going to 2 european stadiums on champions league night. Celtic fans made all the noise and atmosphere , and in citys case even guardiola said man sity didnt have the european pedigree nor was the etihad a european theatre like the nou camp or parkhead.

City epitomise all thats wrong with modern football....an historically " minimally" successful  club in its home country  that has bought its modern success , and now its owners want to take this to the next level with this european league as palying english teams like burnley or whoever just doesnt cut it.

Im blaming my team celtic as well here cromwell. They and the huns feckin destroyed scottish football for much the same reasons as man city and these others are happy to destroy english football. Money and greed.

As i said mate  , football long ago lost its tag as the game of the working class. Sure  , young boys off the estates still try and go for a pint and a punch up on a saturday , but the emphasis is now on families and those with money to spend.

A customer of mine who is a spurs fan was telling me about the new spurs stadioum , and i said to him it sounds like a feckin shopping centre rather than a football stadium.

He was saying all the craft beer they are flogging in the ground now is destroying all the pubs around it.

As for greed and corruption , FFS , you only need to look at FIFA awarding the world cup to qatar.

What started in the late 80`s early 90`s has led us to where we are now. Im not suprised in the slightest , and im not sure why most others are.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: HDQQ on April 19, 2021, 08:22:02 PM
I have no interest in football whatsoever so I couldn't care less what happens to any of these clubs.  Dancing

Quelle surprise? A slightly effete, middle class girls blouse doesn't like contact sport? Well who knew.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on April 20, 2021, 07:56:19 AM
You are joking cromwell?

You a man city fan complaining about certain clubs financially stitching up the rest? Lets be honest cromwell , man city were a non entity before those arabs came along and bought them their  titles ,cups and foreign managers/players.

This is just an extension of what the likes of man city and chealsea have been doing in the modern game. It didnt take a genius to see where this would end .

Who the feck wants to pay to watch man utd versus crystal palace barcelona versus getafe or celtic versus dunfermline?

This has been long in the making since murdoch got invloved in the early nineties. As for the integrity of domestic leagues , that has to be a laugh , i have said for years now what is classed as english football in reality is foreigners managing owning and playing football on english soil with english fans . Rangers and celtic are little different , as are many other european leagues big or small.

Money took over football a long time ago as you know fine well when man city started buying thier way out of obscurity , and roy keane many years ago summed up the dilution of the old "working class game" when he talked about the prawn sandwich brigade at old trafford.

Just as rangers and celtic destroyed any competition in the old scottish premier league when they revamped it and took 90 % of the earnings between them , so man city chelsea and the others have done similar in england , and are now taking it to the next level.

No suprise at all , a european super league has been getting talked about for 20 years if not more.

Lost much interest in football many years ago , from top to bottom it is one big joke now. Watching african teams and other non entities getting put into world cups "for equality" while teams like italy can't qualify from europe , or having  some can't "pick" what country they want to play for because their grandaddy had a pint of guiness in dublin forty years earlier is laughable. Not to mention the vast corruption at SFA , EFA , UEFA and FIFA ( as well as many other leagues as well.)

Twos up i say to football in general.
Well Thomas you think footie only started in the 1990's, United and others with their greed started the rot and if you knew their real history they were pretty much shite till your fellow Scot rocked up there.

I don't dispute what happened at city  but the fans took it seeing the door was being shut by the the same lot who did their damndest to block despite them only doing what they'd done for decades.......bought their success.

So yeah Thomas you are largely right and ask SW in our conversations will confirm I'd rather see when you could have a Derby County or Notts Forest make it,but this is a step too far...........the reality is Thomas much of the blame for this can be laid at the door of your country for producing people like Ferguson and Murdoch.  :P :P ;) :)

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on April 19, 2021, 08:22:02 PM
I have no interest in football whatsoever so I couldn't care less what happens to any of these clubs.  Dancing

Thanks for that in depth input into the world of football. If you have no interest why comment?

Better to stay silent and be thought a fool quackers than put pinky to keyboard and confirm it.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on April 19, 2021, 03:29:24 PM
Definitely,this is a stitch up that's been in progress for decades makes me sick  Puke

You are joking cromwell?

You a man city fan complaining about certain clubs financially stitching up the rest? Lets be honest cromwell , man city were a non entity before those arabs came along and bought them their  titles ,cups and foreign managers/players.

This is just an extension of what the likes of man city and chealsea have been doing in the modern game. It didnt take a genius to see where this would end .

Who the feck wants to pay to watch man utd versus crystal palace barcelona versus getafe or celtic versus dunfermline?

This has been long in the making since murdoch got invloved in the early nineties. As for the integrity of domestic leagues , that has to be a laugh , i have said for years now what is classed as english football in reality is foreigners managing owning and playing football on english soil with english fans . Rangers and celtic are little different , as are many other european leagues big or small.

Money took over football a long time ago as you know fine well when man city started buying thier way out of obscurity , and roy keane many years ago summed up the dilution of the old "working class game" when he talked about the prawn sandwich brigade at old trafford.

Just as rangers and celtic destroyed any competition in the old scottish premier league when they revamped it and took 90 % of the earnings between them , so man city chelsea and the others have done similar in england , and are now taking it to the next level.

No suprise at all , a european super league has been getting talked about for 20 years if not more.

Lost much interest in football many years ago , from top to bottom it is one big joke now. Watching african teams and other non entities getting put into world cups "for equality" while teams like italy can't qualify from europe , or having  some can't "pick" what country they want to play for because their grandaddy had a pint of guiness in dublin forty years earlier is laughable. Not to mention the vast corruption at SFA , EFA , UEFA and FIFA ( as well as many other leagues as well.)

Twos up i say to football in general.

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 19, 2021, 07:19:05 PM
American ownership and their franchise system has driven this . Its  alien to us in the UK and rightly so .

Just let them do it and bar any club and any player for life from our competitions .  Feck em the greedy bastards and while  we are at it go back to 3 subs , ditch var and all weekend games KO at 3pm on a Saturday
And allow standing again.

Quote from: Good old on April 19, 2021, 05:32:38 PM
It's all very well the Premier league in particular, as well as others crying in their beer . But they have brought this on themselves from way back.
Well the rot started with the share of gate receipts being stopped.

Streetwalker

American ownership and their franchise system has driven this . Its  alien to us in the UK and rightly so .

Just let them do it and bar any club and any player for life from our competitions .  Feck em the greedy bastards and while  we are at it go back to 3 subs , ditch var and all weekend games KO at 3pm on a Saturday 

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on April 19, 2021, 03:29:24 PM
Definitely,this is a stitch up that's been in progress for decades makes me sick  Puke

It's all very well the Premier league in particular, as well as others crying in their beer . But they have brought this on themselves from way back. There has not been an even playing field for years, as these billionaire owners have been allowed to create an elite clique virtually excluding any consistent realistic challenge to those few clubs supremacy . Efforts under the label of fair play have been a sick joke. Sick is the prime word here as this is a sickening example of insatiable greed, which much to my distaste I feel may well be embraced by a world audience.
For the support base of these clubs it has to be make your  mind up time. But I wouldn't spit on  a team that tried this on . None of them should be allowed to get cake and eat it by being allowed in our home competitions.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on April 19, 2021, 10:17:43 AM
Even the PM has put his five eggs in on Twitter.
I can't have any less interest in football, but is this for the fans, the players or for fat cats?
I suspect the fat cats.