SKY NewsIt could be weeks before it's known if Indian variant will scupper lockdown roadmap, expert warns

Started by GBNews, May 27, 2021, 01:00:44 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Utter Bullshit

The time line has already been scuppered.

If only we had closed the country to Indians eh

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: patman post on May 27, 2021, 02:33:04 PM
It's already been announced that the planned 21 June opening up is reliant on the info available to review on 14 June. That's about three weeks from now. So isn't the Prof just reinforcing awareness of what could happen if the current reduced relaxation (or a new variant) proves dangerous? 

After all, the UK is still a long way short of having 70-80 percent of its adult population vaccinated — the proportion reckoned to be needed to push Covid into the background...
They keep saying how cautious they are being so that opening up is irreversible.
We already know June 21st opening is not happening, because Boris cannot make a political decision against Whitty and Valance who have scared him into a delay.

Yes the cases are rising, thanks to this government letting in 20,000 travellers from India when their infection rate was at its highest.
That increased infection rate has not increased deaths, there are still only about 1000 people in hospital across the country.
Valance and Whitty will want us locked down for ever.

As I said in another thread:
Sometimes you don't need a conspiracy theory, you just need to look at what is in front of your eyes.

We were told variants would be used to trap society into following more rules. Hey presto !!
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 28, 2021, 12:48:47 PM
I might accept such an admonishment had my basic statements not been correct — 14 June is when data is to be reviewed prior to the planned 21 June relaxation of Covid restrictions. And 14 June was about three weeks from when the prof gave his opinion.

He's not alone, either. I've heard other scientists over the past few days — some perhaps as well trained as you — saying the 21 June date is possible, but not definite. It's the business and economic fraternity that are clamouring for the economy to be opened up on a suck it and see basis — implying, it seems, throwing a few under the bus in the cause of mental health and mammon, would be OK...

Good point.

I think that the best idea will be for you to put on your mask, lock yourself indoors and when the streets are piled high with the dead and dying you can say ha bloody ha, told you so.

Meanwhile I have a large and serious birthday party to go to on Sunday and a pre wake wake to go to next week and try as I might to be bloody miserable, I can not guarantee to succeed. 
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 28, 2021, 11:59:17 AM

You seem to be trying to better Diane Abbott's car crash style of debate techniques.

As a SCIENTIST I have been trained to accept that it is a matter of etiquette to accept the right of fellow scientists to postulate the most barking mad of ideas as explanations to world events and goings on. But it falls to those making those unorthodox predictions to come up with ways we might test their ideas. That a test requires unfeasible acts in today's technology is not an issue, credibility comes through that second stage. Recognition comes when the test becomes runnable given current technology and while wealth only comes to those who got it right, fame may rest on those who were ultimately proved wrong if their idea and proposal for testing it s elegant enough.

But my experience of such people, the ones who are proved right, the ones proved wrong and the ones just barking mad is that all share a basic belief in the strength of their proposal, even those whose suggested tests show a way to confirm soundness or fragility in the idea.

Ferguson's actions fly in the face of that. He claims gloom doom and destruction but then acts as if it does not apply.
I might accept such an admonishment had my basic statements not been correct — 14 June is when data is to be reviewed prior to the planned 21 June relaxation of Covid restrictions. And 14 June was about three weeks from when the prof gave his opinion.

He's not alone, either. I've heard other scientists over the past few days — some perhaps as well trained as you — saying the 21 June date is possible, but not definite. It's the business and economic fraternity that are clamouring for the economy to be opened up on a suck it and see basis — implying, it seems, throwing a few under the bus in the cause of mental health and mammon, would be OK...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on May 27, 2021, 08:17:46 PM
Still doesn't stop him having a valid opinion — plenty of respected and knowledgeable politicians have been discovered to have dalliances (and even children) outside of marriage, even some Welsh, and carried on to be useful.

And it seems like the rising infection rate is even getting the PM to tone down his optimism for his road map, so the Prof could be prompting awareness...

You seem to be trying to better Diane Abbott's car crash style of debate techniques.

As a SCIENTIST I have been trained to accept that it is a matter of etiquette to accept the right of fellow scientists to postulate the most barking mad of ideas as explanations to world events and goings on. But it falls to those making those unorthodox predictions to come up with ways we might test their ideas. That a test requires unfeasible acts in today's technology is not an issue, credibility comes through that second stage. Recognition comes when the test becomes runnable given current technology and while wealth only comes to those who got it right, fame may rest on those who were ultimately proved wrong if their idea and proposal for testing it s elegant enough.

But my experience of such people, the ones who are proved right, the ones proved wrong and the ones just barking mad is that all share a basic belief in the strength of their proposal, even those whose suggested tests show a way to confirm soundness or fragility in the idea.

Ferguson's actions fly in the face of that. He claims gloom doom and destruction but then acts as if it does not apply.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

They've made up a Thai variant, now.
I knew we shouldn't go out without a Thai.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Still doesn't stop him having a valid opinion — plenty of respected and knowledgeable politicians have been discovered to have dalliances (and even children) outside of marriage, even some Welsh, and carried on to be useful.

And it seems like the rising infection rate is even getting the PM to tone down his optimism for his road map, so the Prof could be prompting awareness...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on May 27, 2021, 02:33:04 PM
It's already been announced that the planned 21 June opening up is reliant on the info available to review on 14 June. That's about three weeks from now. So isn't the Prof just reinforcing awareness of what could happen if the current reduced relaxation (or a new variant) proves dangerous? 

After all, the UK is still a long way short of having 70-80 percent of its adult population vaccinated — the proportion reckoned to be needed to push Covid into the background...

No, he's a thoroughly unbelievable jerk who do not forget invited his (married to someone else) bit of fluff round for a shag while he was fully infected.

And arranged a second round when she had caught it from him.

A "scientist" who demands we treat this pox as the plague while he carries on shagging .... Is not a credible authority.

patman post

Barry

Neil - "do as I say not as I do", "650,000 dead" - Ferguson has no credibility.
But Sky love to drag on the drama, even when it's over, so they keep wheeling him out.
† The end is nigh †

GBNews

It could be weeks before it's known if Indian variant will scupper lockdown roadmap, expert warns

It could be another "two to three weeks" before it's clear whether the final step in lifting lockdown can safely go ahead, according to a former senior scientific adviser to the government.

Source: It could be weeks before it's known if Indian variant will scupper lockdown roadmap, expert warns