wetherspoons boss wants more european immigration

Started by Thomas, June 06, 2021, 09:04:37 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on June 25, 2021, 03:48:46 AM
Says the person that just quoted my signature and has the Labour motto as his signature.
The party he now can't stand and has left.

Don't think I'll be taking lessons from a homeless communist just yet.
If you actually believe I am a communist then clearly you are deficient in any meaningful political education.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Wetherspoons boss Tim Martin has urged Westminster to increase migration from Europe because of a shortage of workers in the hospitality sector. He wants the UK government to consider a "reasonably liberal" visa scheme to encourage workers from abroad to move to the UK. 

Seems reasonable. And I thought this is what "Australian Style" meant in terms of seeking out skills the UK needs and running young persons' working holiday schemes. 

Not much seems to have been achieved for either scheme, though, and the attempts to stop both legal and illegal immigration have largely only been effective against EU citizens.   

Only strong words and posturing have been directed at people coming from the rest of the world.   

I guess the pandemic has shielded/stifled most of the demand for employees in the hospitality and similar service sectors. But there needs to be provision for the likelihood that demand for personnel could outstrip supply when economies begin to recover and open up...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on June 16, 2021, 07:25:18 PM
All too often you can explain nothing to us, because you can't understand it for yourself.

Says the person that just quoted my signature and has the Labour motto as his signature.
The party he now can't stand and has left.

Don't think I'll be taking lessons from a homeless communist just yet.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 05:09:20 PMI can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
All too often you can explain nothing to us, because you can't understand it for yourself.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 05:09:20 PM
No, you posted links showing the numbers that have signed up, statistics and how to apply. Where is the link showing the government knew there were 2 million more in the country until they signed up?

They didn't, FFS have you got cognition problems?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 04:29:46 PM
FFS I JUST DID.

No, you posted links showing the numbers that have signed up, statistics and how to apply. Where is the link showing the government knew there were 2 million more in the country until they signed up?

A study by Oxford Uni put the figures at 3.7 million, that's 2 million less than signed up for settled status.

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/eu-migration-to-and-from-the-uk/

papasmurf

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 01:00:35 PM
It is the governments own data on the numbers applying for the right to remain. (If they can't prove they have been living here in a bona fide way their application is refused.)

Show the link then.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 12:54:32 PM
Where is your link proving this? Or is it just some more guffog Pappy decides to post with absolutely no proof?

FFS sake don't you follow ANY news or current affairs:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/landmark-eu-settlement-scheme-reaches-five-million-applications
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/eu-settlement-scheme-statistics

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/what-youll-need-to-apply

If you arrived in the UK before 31 December 2020, you can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 12:59:42 PM
Anyway, I managed to find one to rent, I will be there last week of August.

That is for a holiday. Which proves my point.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 12:54:32 PM
Where is your link proving this? Or is it just some more guffog Pappy decides to post with absolutely no proof?

It is the governments own data on the numbers applying for the right to remain. (If they can't prove they have been living here in a bona fide way their application is refused.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 12:55:17 PM
I suggest you go to Specsavers that is COUNTY not country.

Anyway, I managed to find one to rent, I will be there last week of August.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 12:55:17 PMI suggest you go to Specsavers that is COUNTY not country.

I did, they are crap.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 12:52:43 PM

Secondly, your left wing rag is talking absolute nonsense. Only 62 properties to rent in the whole country, :)
There is over 1,200 just in Lancashire.

I suggest you go to Specsavers that is COUNTY not country.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 12:51:11 PM
No they were not, the government due to piss poor records, did know they were here despite them paying NI and tax for in some cases decades. Had they not being doing so their applications would have been refused.