GB news kicks off tonight

Started by cromwell, June 13, 2021, 03:05:53 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

I was really hopeful when it started and was fairly mellow with all the initial teething troubles and have tried to like it but somehow it just seems to miss the boat. I am not at all keen on the presentation it's true but it is more than that. I think Neil is probably making an astute judgement and chances are to 'succeed' if only financially it will have to go the way of all others. It's a shame because the promise was good.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2021, 10:44:00 AM
It appears to be aimed at a far  right audience with low intelligence.
That's it in a nutshell. And because it is aimed at people of below average intelligence, it is aimed at people who are easily bored and who have short attention spans. That's a strategic failure right there.

It is also aimed at people who scream out for freedom of speech but who cannot handle it when someone says something they disagree with. Which also of course means they are not very bright for failing to recognise the irony or inconsistency within their own attitudes.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 14, 2021, 10:31:15 AM
I see Andrew Neil has resigned, after he set the GB News channel up in the first place!
Not sure what's going on, exactly.
I don't watch it live as I have no licence, but watch some catch up snippets.

Frankly I force myself to watch GB news from time to time.  It appears to be aimed at a far  right audience with low intelligence.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

GB News is tanking for a variety of reasons.

Poor production is one.

The fact that it offers next to no news, just views on news, is another.

The fact that they are banking for success on a particular demographic which actually has a low level of interest in news anyway. And a consequently low attention span for it.

The fact that it appears to have no investigative journalusts or on site reporters bringing original news content of it's own.

Anyway, the fact that Andrew Neil has jumped ship is a clear indication from him that he thinks it's days might be numbered. Neil is no fool and recognises a failure when he sees one, even if it's his own baby.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

I see Andrew Neil has resigned, after he set the GB News channel up in the first place!
Not sure what's going on, exactly.
I don't watch it live as I have no licence, but watch some catch up snippets.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

I dip in the GBN occasionally, but its technical side and production still suck. And I guess my not sticking with it for its content reflects badly on me. But these days I seldom bother to read circulars or Parish magazines that are Roneo-Gastetnered in Miss Goodbody's kitchen as I'm now accustomed to professional presentations. Perhaps its proposed radio channel will make it easier to take on board — as its visual part has, so far, been mostly unnecessary.

Shame really, because I'm in favour of all news outlets that really extend coverage and insight into what's happening in the world...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on July 29, 2021, 10:43:42 PM
I have to say Steve that the further you move to the left the more snobbish you become.

But I have nlot moved further to the left. I am where I have always been. For a time Labour moved left to embrace people like me but now it wants rid of us. I remain true to myself though, whatever the arseholes in Labour do.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on July 28, 2021, 09:41:49 PM

There simply isn't the market for an endless bombardment of mostly reactionary right wing dumbed down views. It seems to want to be the TV equivalent of the Sun. But the Sun readers  themselves who might be expected to lap it up pretty much lack the attention span for it.

I have to say Steve that the further you move to the left the more snobbish you become.

That said, I don't think that there is much room in the UK for any purely news broadcaster, left, right, central or allied to the Green Martian Workers Party. All successful media outlets need a solid backing of gossip, sport and young women wearing pretty smiles and not much else. 
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 29, 2021, 06:24:17 AM
For your information Mr clever Dick we are fighting to save your morality and your future and another thing yer silly Moo I'll be bleeding dead and you wont be able to thank me then will yer ,and another thing it wouldnt be like this if Enoch was in charge .
Thanks for making me laugh.

Though if Enoch was ever the solution, I'd rather stick with the problem, lol.

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 29, 2021, 06:24:17 AM
For your information Mr clever Dick we are fighting to save your morality and your future and another thing yer silly Moo I'll be bleeding dead and you wont be able to thank me then will yer ,and another thing it wouldnt be like this if Enoch was in charge .
:D :D :D :D ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Well ....

On Monday I was told my my GPs practice Gestapo Desk Keeper that they were moving to booking F2F consultations online only.

I tried registering for the service six years ago

The GP screwed up my email so I could not complete the registration.

I tried again a few years later and a third time after that. It did not work. It kept confusing my new application with my old ones.

But not willing to appear a curmudgeonly sod with a grudge, I jumped through the hoops again on Tuesday.

Yesterday morning I had a new login id etc

I kicked off, it seemed to work, but insisted they already had a John Of Gwent and when I chose another login id it let me get all the way then said someone with my name, dob and address already existed.

Depressed, I picked up the phone and dialled the office of the useless T@@@ that is my welsh assembly minister.

I had a lovely chat with one of his office girls who said she'd get on it right away.

I'm glad to hear it, I said. I've been trying to get this for years and as the NHS in Wales is denying me any other way to see a GP I'm thinking of ringing up GBNews and telling them what s shyte job the assembly has done of this over the past six years ....

Silent pause...

Oh I think you should give us a chance to fix things said the voice. Ok maybe I will i said ...

Within the next three hours I'd had increasingly escalated emails from the NHS IT bods, and two emails asking me to try logging in (by god, it worked) and then a final one asking me if it worked.

So threatening to get GB News involved caused more response, and got a fix in hours, bit before that it had been years and got nowhere.

Naturally I had to tell Gb News and the supporters group of the fact threatening to involve them seems to have got a Welsh Labour reaction not previously seen in 24 years ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on July 28, 2021, 09:41:49 PM

It's dwindling audience seems to consist mostly of people of a certain age who have moved to the right in retirement and morphed into typical grumpy old men railing against the modern age. I bet Victor Meldrew would watch it. So too probably would Alf Garnet. Lol.

srb7677

GB News is slowly but surely going down the tubes.

There simply isn't the market for an endless bombardment of mostly reactionary right wing dumbed down views. It seems to want to be the TV equivalent of the Sun. But the Sun readers  themselves who might be expected to lap it up pretty much lack the attention span for it. They'd rather watch Eastenders and Coronation Street.

It's dwindling audience seems to consist mostly of people of a certain age who have moved to the right in retirement and morphed into typical grumpy old men railing against the modern age. I bet Victor Meldrew would watch it. So too probably would Alf Garnet. Lol.

patman post

It currently looks a bit like Taggart — a personality goes, but the name remains. In this case Andrew Neil has gone, but his evening slot has kept his name...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 28, 2021, 04:39:46 PM
That is a very nasty personal attack.

No it is not, it is not aimed at an individual.  I have tried hard to watch GB news, (the news coupled with GB is an Oxymoron.) There is nothing on it related to the mission statement of the channel.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe