5 Years they said.

Started by Nick, June 15, 2021, 03:49:03 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 17, 2021, 11:14:50 PM
Piddling protocols. The U.K. has agreed it's first post Brexit deal. Argue with:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-14/uk-and-australia-agree-broad-terms-of-post-brexit-trade-deal
https://www.ft.com/content/e74fd99a-aa89-4cd8-a759-9ccc25f8ca27
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/15278020/boris-johnson-signs-trade-deal-with-australia-for-cheap/

And plenty more if you don't like the truth. And now the farmers are wincing because in 15 years time they wouldn't have been able to get themselves competitive. What were they going to do with the supposed 40 other oven ready deals Liam Fox was promising way back...?

May I suggest you read your own links.

ITV: Second paragraph states 'First MAJOR deal'

FT:   First big deal.

Sun:  First deal from scratch.

I know it wasn't our first deal to be signed because we have 75 deals in place.
We announced a trade deal with Japan months ago or are you forgetting?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 12:34:26 PM
Again, not true. The UK has over 70 trade deals now which is more than the EU has. Under Biden the US will re-join the CPTPP, this will me with the UK the trading block, not political monster, will be more than double the size of the EU. Add to that Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, the deals just keep coming.

We were told the UK would have to rely on WTO to do any trading and that we weren't guaranteed entry. Another project fear message that was totally false.
Piddling protocols. The U.K. has agreed it's first post Brexit deal. Argue with:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-14/uk-and-australia-agree-broad-terms-of-post-brexit-trade-deal
https://www.ft.com/content/e74fd99a-aa89-4cd8-a759-9ccc25f8ca27
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/15278020/boris-johnson-signs-trade-deal-with-australia-for-cheap/

And plenty more if you don't like the truth. And now the farmers are wincing because in 15 years time they wouldn't have been able to get themselves competitive. What were they going to do with the supposed 40 other oven ready deals Liam Fox was promising way back...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2021, 02:54:09 AM
I'm not sure you're cut out for debating if you can't get the date the U.K. left the EU right.
The transition period meant we were still following EU trade law, but 64 none EU trade deals went live on the 1st January 2020.

As for links, when I joined the forum before the forum before this one I was bombarded by Smurf by another name with Link Link Link. If he wants to come out with dubious facts or statements he will be asked for a link. Today he tried to hide behind the fact that the link had been posted before: Well... this forum has a VERY efficient search facility and it hadn't. Lotsoff posted a similar one if 2019.
I misremembered the leaving date and was a month out. Crime of the century or what? Doesnt invalidate my basic point. We left a long time ago now, and the fact we may follow some trade rules temporarily is merely part of an agreed transition policy designed to minimise any economic damage. That this constitutes de fact membership in another guise is just a silly contention.

As for Smurf by all means ask him for as many links as you like. He seems more than happy to keep supplying them and often bangs out a few more without prompting. But I can't be arsed so asking me for links - as is your wont - will only work if I feel like doing internet research and have the time at that particular moment.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on June 16, 2021, 06:59:09 PM
I'm afraid we did leave at the end of 2019, which surely everyone knows?

I suppose now you are going to post requests for endless links?

If someone said the grass is green you'd want links to prove it.

I'm not sure you're cut out for debating if you can't get the date the U.K. left the EU right.
The transition period meant we were still following EU trade law, but 64 none EU trade deals went live on the 1st January 2020.

As for links, when I joined the forum before the forum before this one I was bombarded by Smurf by another name with Link Link Link. If he wants to come out with dubious facts or statements he will be asked for a link. Today he tried to hide behind the fact that the link had been posted before: Well... this forum has a VERY efficient search facility and it hadn't. Lotsoff posted a similar one if 2019.

Barry

The UK left the EU at the end of 31 January 2020 CET (11 p.m. GMT).
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 12:37:22 PM
I don't remember leaving in 2019 do you? I remember all you anti-democratic Remoaners doing everything in your powers to stop us leaving.
So seeing as we didn't leave, how do you know what deals were ready to go?
I'm afraid we did leave at the end of 2019, which surely everyone knows?

I suppose now you are going to post requests for endless links?

If someone said the grass is green you'd want links to prove it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 06:13:30 AM
Project fear is turning in to reality as time passes. The pandemic is masking a lot of the dog's Brexit.

The pandemic has actually held back growth that would have seen the UK as the poster boy for other EU nations to ask themselves the same questions we did .

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 16, 2021, 11:43:36 AMLiam Fox added that "All these faint hearts saying we cannot do it – it's absolute rubbish."
https://news.finance.co.uk/trade-secretary-liam-fox-pledges-sign-40-free-trade-deals-second-brexit/.

I don't remember leaving in 2019 do you? I remember all you anti-democratic Remoaners doing everything in your powers to stop us leaving.
So seeing as we didn't leave, how do you know what deals were ready to go?

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 16, 2021, 11:43:36 AMThe fact remains, it's now June 2021 and the Australian trade deal is the first to be signed post the Brexit vote...

Again, not true. The UK has over 70 trade deals now which is more than the EU has. Under Biden the US will re-join the CPTPP, this will me with the UK the trading block, not political monster, will be more than double the size of the EU. Add to that Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, the deals just keep coming.

We were told the UK would have to rely on WTO to do any trading and that we weren't guaranteed entry. Another project fear message that was totally false.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2021, 03:49:03 PM
The EU has been in negotiations with Oz for over 3 years, the UK has done one in under a year with the US likely to follow soon.
If this doesn't tell the Remainer's that going it alone wasn't the right thing to do I don't know what will.

As of 1st June

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries.
LIAM FOX declared that Britain will have up to 40 trade deals ready to go when we finally quit the EU in 2019
Speaking to Tory activists at a reception at the party conference in Manchester, the International Trade said Britain is still a force to be reckoned with around the world - in spite of Brexit.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4592441/britain-will-have-forty-trade-deals-ready-to-go-the-day-we-quit-the-eu-liam-fox-declares/

"I hear people saying 'oh we won't have any [free trade agreements] before we leave.' Well, believe me, we'll have up to 40 ready for one second after midnight in March 2019," said Fox to cheering Tory activists.
Liam Fox added that "All these faint hearts saying we cannot do it – it's absolute rubbish."
https://news.finance.co.uk/trade-secretary-liam-fox-pledges-sign-40-free-trade-deals-second-brexit/.

The fact remains, it's now June 2021 and the Australian trade deal is the first to be signed post the Brexit vote...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on June 16, 2021, 10:09:42 AM

It is about creating jobs and getting people back into work Pappy, and you know how you hate that. So I imagine the details have been withheld so as not to shock you. :)

Stop lying about me.  Thus far the trade deals, (which the government seems frit to publish the detail of,) appear to be going cause a loss of jobs and business closures as the dogs Brexit it doing.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2021, 06:23:12 PMke a further 15 years to fully enact to allow UK producers to get used to incoming Australian goods and produce...

It is about creating jobs and getting people back into work Pappy, and you know how you hate that. So I imagine the details have been withheld so as not to shock you. :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 16, 2021, 06:04:55 AM
Ill second that .

The tories are dragging their feet but we are still seeing the benefits of Brexit and the debunking of project fear

Project fear is turning in to reality as time passes. The pandemic is masking a lot of the dog's Brexit.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 16, 2021, 05:04:15 AM
The problem is Brexit has nowhere near happened. Only a fraction of it.

Ill second that .

The tories are dragging their feet but we are still seeing the benefits of Brexit and the debunking of project fear

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2021, 03:49:36 AM
Worth £300 Billion, so no they're not miniscule.

Have you seen any of the deals in detail yet?  Or are you just believing the propaganda?