A man on a mission.

Started by johnofgwent, December 02, 2019, 11:03:47 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell post_id=8357 time=1575539654 user_id=48
Well I never was John,anyway having read many of your posts over the years I see someone who was handed the shitty end of the stick a lot more than is usual in a life time.

You probably supported political party's because of that who were at the further ends of the spectrum but eventually saw through them (the mainstream too) life does that to you and not just with politics either.

I look around and often don't really like my fellow human beings much either or rather some of the things they do.

Beneath all that John though I reckon you're a decent bloke who if you saw someone in mortal danger you didn't really like you still haul them out.

And grumble like hell afterwards  :lol:  :hattip

Well, yes, there are a few individuals who owe me the fact they still live and breathe ...

Most seemed profoundly grateful.

One would have offered me every one of the beer kegs on his lorry were they his to give.

Six brought us two of the biggest bottles of moet I have ever seen in my life

And one miserable git made me wish I hadn't bothered, but arguably his lawyers might have tried a gross negligence manslaughter on me had I not pulled his sorry, soggy, unconscious arse from the sea.

You are not dead until you are WARM and dead. But had I been well enough a week after that to witness what the arsehole did in front of students in my instructors charge, even after nearly getting himself killed and putting me out of action for a month, I might have lost my cool.

And only one other waste of space made me regret working on the stuff that let him dodge the reapers scythe......

On the up side, one found out which gastropub I frequented and told them to serve me up whatever I wanted, so yes, some people are grateful ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baron von Lotsov

I think John's mistake was to become a government scientist. Either one of those two things is bad news, like either working for the government or being a scientist, but when combined, especially if you are bright and an honest chap, then hell would be a lot safer. (recall Turing's job)

My father trod in those shoes as well, and for all his good work he was invited over to Australia to see some big fireworks. Those who went are still trying to claim compensation for the injuries sustained in those nuclear tests. He bailed out in the nick of time and chose capitalism. I was properly advised, but my problem was the shit being hyped telling me it's like heaven. John confirms the advice of my father.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=8229 time=1575403295 user_id=63
Well yes, but that isnt his intent, is it.

The churches I preached in are all  but gone. The one I spent ten christmas eve midnights in is now a hindu temple, the one I first had a group of negroes stand up at the back and yell hallelujah halfway through my sermon in is bulldozed as is the one I was married in. The one my grandmother founded with others also bulldozed.

And the one my great great great great great grandad built in Cardiff bay has been turned into a den of thieves.

I'm not religious any more.

Its just as well really.

Well I never was John,anyway having read many of your posts over the years I see someone who was handed the shitty end of the stick a lot more than is usual in a life time.

You probably supported political party's because of that who were at the further ends of the spectrum but eventually saw through them (the mainstream too) life does that to you and not just with politics either.

I look around and often don't really like my fellow human beings much either or rather some of the things they do.

Beneath all that John though I reckon you're a decent bloke who if you saw someone in mortal danger you didn't really like you still haul them out.

And grumble like hell afterwards  :lol:  :hattip
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=8276 time=1575463898 user_id=63
Well, to nick the line from "pinball wizard"

"But I just handed my (miserable old git) crown to him"

I think Uncle Mort and Victor Meldrew were far too cheerful.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=8253 time=1575449521 user_id=89
He will die eventually.

Well, to nick the line from "pinball wizard"

"But I just handed my (miserable old git) crown to him"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=8253 time=1575449521 user_id=89
He will die eventually.

That must be the biggest revelation on this forum this morning! Wow, you make this forum so worth it.  :dncg:
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=8229 time=1575403295 user_id=63

He will die eventually.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=8135 time=1575363484 user_id=89
I don't think he is mad, a number of buildings bought cheap, favourable council tax and other concessions, and worth a fortune if converted into housing.

The churches I preached in are all  but gone. The one I spent ten christmas eve midnights in is now a hindu temple, the one I first had a group of negroes stand up at the back and yell hallelujah halfway through my sermon in is bulldozed as is the one I was married in. The one my grandmother founded with others also bulldozed.

And the one my great great great great great grandad built in Cardiff bay has been turned into a den of thieves.

I'm not religious any more.

Its just as well really.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=8175 time=1575391809 user_id=75
I have to admire his ambition and deducation to the cause but I suspect he's onto a non-starter. The number of people who identify as Christian is falling and of those not all of those remaining will be churchgoers or even actively practising.

On the plus side at least the buildings are potected from redevelopment for the moment. I'm not religious but I do like churches and cathedrals, and was fortunate to grow up within a short distance of Chester and both the Liverpool cathedrals though I prefer the CoE one. The Catholic one is a bit too modern.

In our area it was St Dunstan who wanted to restore the church to a stricter form of Christianity in the Benedictine tradition, where in his day it was much as it is now. The worldly sins had crept into it and its reputation was more along the lines of a government rather than something holy. He had the right idea and then something rather miraculous happened. The king was keen to rule in the same virtuous way, since in those days virtue was close to greatness and this king was not simply some sort of warlord type. In fact to this day the queen's coronation comes from something St Dunstan wrote.

The thing is that if St Dunstan had thought like you put it, he would not have bothered. He had faith it would work out OK if he did it the right way.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Ciaphas

I have to admire his ambition and deducation to the cause but I suspect he's onto a non-starter. The number of people who identify as Christian is falling and of those not all of those remaining will be churchgoers or even actively practising.

On the plus side at least the buildings are potected from redevelopment for the moment. I'm not religious but I do like churches and cathedrals, and was fortunate to grow up within a short distance of Chester and both the Liverpool cathedrals though I prefer the CoE one. The Catholic one is a bit too modern.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/religion/articles/religioninenglandandwales2011/2012-12-11#key-points">https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... key-points">https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/religion/articles/religioninenglandandwales2011/2012-12-11#key-points

https://faithsurvey.co.uk/uk-christianity.html">https://faithsurvey.co.uk/uk-christianity.html

Barry

Interesting story, JoG. Thanks for posting it. I wish the old eccentric all the best for his plan for another Welsh Revival.

He'll need a new Evan Roberts, mind.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=8122 time=1575327827 user_id=63

I think he is mad, myself. But this is well worth a read.

I don't think he is mad, a number of buildings bought cheap, favourable council tax and other concessions, and worth a fortune if converted into housing.

johnofgwent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/Vowy7nKBPo/welsh-chapels-one-mans-mission">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/Vowy7n ... ns-mission">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/Vowy7nKBPo/welsh-chapels-one-mans-mission

I think he is mad, myself. But this is well worth a read.

This chap has sunk quite a bit of his own money into buying up derelict or abandoned chapels in Wales hoping for a revival of the faith that drove them.