Temperature change?

Started by T00ts, July 20, 2021, 11:23:01 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on July 28, 2021, 09:52:02 PM
Celcius has been used for our weather for so long that even those who can remember using fahrenheit, know  what celius temperatures are by now. And many younger age groups will be quite unfamiliar with fahrenheit. If it were still 1980 or even 1990, reverting back to fahrenheit might well have been worth the candle. But now we are better off sticking with celsius.

As for me at the age of 56 now, I grew up with everyone around me and much of the newsprint media talking in fahrenheit so still totally understand it. I know how hot 90F is and how cold 30F is. But like nearly everyone I long ago got used to celsius too. We might as well stick with it now. And not let nostalgia be the enemy of common sense for those too inclined towards the former.

I am so so with Celsius, but still have trouble converting it to British Thermal Units.

And how many pica to a degree Kelvin?
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on July 28, 2021, 11:12:42 PM
Hello Steve,testing the temperature ?

Well being an old git (as you always remind me :P) Celsius means bog all to me but then I'm still happier with feet and inches,half crowns £ s d.

I remember having to cost a job that way and no bloody calculator or bloody namby pamby decimalisation,when I go shopping  I often add it up in my head and the spotty Herbert scanning my stuff looks at me as if I've performed a magic trick when I tell him how much  the total is before his electronic till.
I am very good at mental arithmetic myself too.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on July 28, 2021, 09:52:02 PM
Celcius has been used for our weather for so long that even those who can remember using fahrenheit, know  what celius temperatures are by now. And many younger age groups will be quite unfamiliar with fahrenheit. If it were still 1980 or even 1990, reverting back to fahrenheit might well have been worth the candle. But now we are better off sticking with celsius.

As for me at the age of 56 now, I grew up with everyone around me and much of the newsprint media talking in fahrenheit so still totally understand it. I know how hot 90F is and how cold 30F is. But like nearly everyone I long ago got used to celsius too. We might as well stick with it now. And not let nostalgia be the enemy of common sense for those too inclined towards the former.
Hello Steve,testing the temperature ?

Well being an old git (as you always remind me :P) Celsius means bog all to me but then I'm still happier with feet and inches,half crowns £ s d.

I remember having to cost a job that way and no bloody calculator or bloody namby pamby decimalisation,when I go shopping  I often add it up in my head and the spotty Herbert scanning my stuff looks at me as if I've performed a magic trick when I tell him how much  the total is before his electronic till.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on July 20, 2021, 11:23:01 AM
Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a very quiet change from Celsius to Fahrenheit going on? I read today of temps going as high as 91.5 in some places. Is this another cheeky creep away from the EU? I use the BBC site to chart local weather and needless to say they haven't changed ...yet. It's rarely correct anyway. Anyway 91.5 is so much more impressive than 33.05556.

Im sure someone will blame it on climate change.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 20, 2021, 11:34:32 AM
Mmm perhaps there is a movement to re-align us with the US then. That would make sense. I must look and see which other countries we are going to trade with use the same.

Sod that Toots. I have a lot of time for the Yanks, particularly since they got their TV industry back up to speed, But have you ever been out on the tiles in the US? Sixteen ounce pints? One hundred pounds to the hundredweight? Etc, etc.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

It was 31.8C  89.24F in the shade in my back garden yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmU_HpTwCs
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on July 20, 2021, 10:26:52 PM
Let's just stick with Centigrade or Celsius (which I believe are infinitesimally different). It's so much easier. 0 degrees C - freezing point of water. 100 degrees C - boiling point of water (at sea level atmospheric pressure).

If you want big numbers, we could always adopt the Kelvin scale, which has 0 degrees as absolute zero (-273 C). Then the temperature where I live would have been 303 degrees Kelvin today!

No, let's NOT

In my first geography lesson in secondary school my teacher revealed Cardiff's 'natural statistics' to be 40-60-40

Which he went on to explain as

Average Winter Temperature 40 degrees Fahrenheit (7c)

Average Summer Temperature 60 degrees F which seems rather low tbh but the skies were more polluted in 69

And average rainfall 40 inches. Three foot four of water ...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Let's just stick with Centigrade or Celsius (which I believe are infinitesimally different). It's so much easier. 0 degrees C - freezing point of water. 100 degrees C - boiling point of water (at sea level atmospheric pressure).

If you want big numbers, we could always adopt the Kelvin scale, which has 0 degrees as absolute zero (-273 C). Then the temperature where I live would have been 303 degrees Kelvin today!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on July 20, 2021, 11:30:50 AM
I haven't noticed that Centigrade has been in use for decades.  The only time I see Fahrenheit is on American cookery programs.

Mmm perhaps there is a movement to re-align us with the US then. That would make sense. I must look and see which other countries we are going to trade with use the same.

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on July 20, 2021, 11:28:31 AM
Can't say I have noticed it toots , maybe it's different down in your country.

I'm not grumbling about the heat , would you believe I actually saw a Glaswegian with a hose sprinkler watering half dead plants from lack of rain yesterday?

I nearly fell out the shopping trolley at the supermarket.

Were they trying to revive the ones on sale at the supermarket? The ones here were dead this morning.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on July 20, 2021, 11:23:01 AMI read today of temps going as high as 91.5  Is this another cheeky creep away from the EU? I use the BBC site to chart local weather and needless to say they haven't changed ...yet. It's rarely correct anyway. Anyway 91.5 is so much more impressive than 33.05556.
Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a very quiet change from Celsius to Fahrenheit going on? I read today of temps going as high as 91.5 in some places. Is this another cheeky creep away from the EU? I use the BBC site to chart local weather and needless to say they haven't changed ...yet. It's rarely correct anyway. Anyway 91.5 is so much more impressive than 33.05556.

I haven't noticed that Centigrade has been in use for decades.  The only time I see Fahrenheit is on American cookery programs.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Can't say I have noticed it toots , maybe it's different down in your country.

I'm not grumbling about the heat , would you believe I actually saw a Glaswegian with a hose sprinkler watering half dead plants from lack of rain yesterday?

I nearly fell out the shopping trolley at the supermarket.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts